What does a sound card do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shbullets

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Hi guys, what does a sound card do? Does it really enhance your gaming performance, and quality? What are the benefits of it? Etc. etc. Yes i am a newbie @_@ :roll:

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Another important thing about sound cards, especially the higher models, will help take a load off of the CPU. The sound card would be dedicated to sound processing, and with the X-FI Fatality and up models with 64mb of X-ram, it would be able to process even more sound effects. I think the new upcoming game Crysis is going to take advantage of that, especially since they claim there are going to be 20-30 effects PER GUNSHOT... shrug. I however, don't really see the point of laying down 200+ dollars unless your a true audiophile and want to be able to hear a cricket chirping behind you while walking through grass in a game... shrug.

Also, if you don't have good speakers, no need for a sound card, your just wasting your money. Most mobo's come with decent integrated sound, so your not losing much by not having a sound card...

UNLESS your big into audio creation, and I would then definitly recommend the Fatality or Elite pro by Creative. Otherwise, its pure overkill

halcyon

Splendid
Hi guys, what does a sound card do? Does it really enhance your gaming performance, and quality? What are the benefits of it? Etc. etc. Yes i am a newbie @_@ :roll:

Here's another notable link on sound cards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_card . No worries, all of us were newbies once...heck, I'm still a Newbie. As mentioned above, a dedicated soundcard from Creative will indeed offload your CPU from audio processing which will likely give you back a few frames-per-second in video processing. Good luck to you.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Don't be sorry, with all the information in the World at his fingertips he chooses to ask and risk abuse. And he should be, no one is that new they don't know what a sound card does. If this is a reflection of the intelligence todays youth, then we're in bigger shit than Terrorists want to do to us.

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
If this is a reflection of the intelligence todays youth, then we're in bigger **** than Terrorists want to do to us.

terrorists. your having a laugh...

u worry that "terrorist" are sitting out there plotting against us? there is no such thing. there are extreamists but terror is a word which is banded about with no real consideration. if you belive everything people spoon feed you then you are as easy to influence as the guy asking for sound card help.

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
don't tell me there are no terrorists. i fight them all the time. they are always taking people hostage or planting C4 :p

i heard they guys that bombed the twin towers name was [n00bfuK3r] - SL/\y3R. the cts would have got to the plane in time but some d ick was TKing.

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Don't be an idiot "boy"...........ooops, too late.

ur the guy whos scared of anyone with a belife thats removed from yours. just cos im not going to grab my gun everytime someone threatens me. dont be a fool. im willing to bet your political stance is formed from a copy of speed.

"no gawddamn terrorist is gunna put no gawd damn bomb on my bus...."

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yes sound cards processes sounds. It makes the sound true and accurate as well but only with the help of a high quality speakers. So if you buy a sound card you must buy a good set of speakers as well otherwise the sound would still be shitty.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
don't tell me there are no terrorists. i fight them all the time. they are always taking people hostage or planting C4 :p

i heard they guys that bombed the twin towers name was [n00bfuK3r] - SL/\y3R. the cts would have got to the plane in time but some d ick was TKing.

ROFL... that's what happens when you play too much CS. :lol:

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Don't claim to know anything about me, it's hard enough to try to read with your no spelling ass........."boy".
With all of our technology we still can't fix your brain damage.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
There's no such thing as increasing the quality of the source, only limiting the amount of amplitude loss of the source signal.

You can't take a hamburger and make a cow.

Some sound cards do have the software to "add" to the source, such as increased reverbs, echoes, that sort of thing. Whether you like it or not is a value judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.