Sign in with
Your question

What mobo will you buy for Conroe

Last response: in CPUs
July 26, 2006 4:02:17 PM

I posted this in the motherboard forum but it seems there are more Conroe people here.

For those of you buying a Conroe in the next 4-6 weeks, what mobo will you buy?

More about : mobo buy conroe

July 26, 2006 4:14:14 PM

I read that article. I am curious what the people here will actually buy.
Related resources
July 26, 2006 5:04:08 PM

I don't believe on skimping on the mobo, so I would go with the P5W-DH Deluxe, plus, I like Asus so much more. But if you are on a budget, the other mobo's all look good, and the price is cheaper.

If you want SLI however, you only have one choice...
July 26, 2006 5:18:02 PM

I don't care about SLI or X-fire. IMHO I do not think that dual GPU's will be around long, with the 7950 paving the way for dual gpu's on 1 card. I know you can run TWO 7950's in SLI, but it is WAY too expensive, and like I said the future will have much more technology and physics on 1 card.
July 26, 2006 5:30:43 PM

going to wait for updated 975x (or tests that show the current is stable) and would also like to see the new nforce before I buy.
July 26, 2006 5:35:14 PM

I dont plan on overclocking this time. My Vapochill experiment days are over with my 3.2C P4 so I purchased a Intel 975X Bad Axe rv.304
July 26, 2006 5:36:04 PM

i don't care about SLI either. for me i'm going with Asus + 965 chipset.

Quote:
I don't care about SLI or X-fire. IMHO I do not think that dual GPU's will be around long, with the 7950 paving the way for dual gpu's on 1 card. I know you can run TWO 7950's in SLI, but it is WAY too expensive, and like I said the future will have much more technology and physics on 1 card.
a c 474 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2006 11:27:45 PM

I'll probably get a 975X motherboard because all my drives are PATA, not SATA. It is cheaper than buying a 965 mobo and replacing all my PATA hard drives. 965 mobos only provide 2 connections for PATA drives (at the discretion of the manufacturer).

The 975X also overclocks better based on several reviews, but I don't intend on OC'ing.
July 27, 2006 12:06:24 AM

Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Affordable and can achieve 4Ghz E6600 overclocks! The layout is also quite nice.

umm no, i don't think 965 chipset can achieve 4GHz...not a chance...
you'd have to get a 975X mobo to even think of going that high...
the highest anand got was 3.7 or so, and that was with the best memory available and e6700

my choice of a conroe mobo isn't out yet...but i'm most likely going the the nforce 500 series...i guess it'll be the nforce 590, probably from Asus...
July 27, 2006 12:09:49 AM

Quote:
I posted this in the motherboard forum but it seems there are more Conroe people here.

Sadly I have to go back to Asus for the particular features and I/O controllers. The P5W DH Deluxe looks to meet my current needs for overclocking, video options, I/O options, and power options for what I want to do.

Unless Abit or Intel release a newer board in the next 60 days that will be my next motherboard.
July 27, 2006 12:40:09 AM

I'd like a board that's nvidia 7950gx2 compatible (meaning pci-e switching enabled in bios), overclocks to 3.6 easily, and doesn't use heatpipes so I can mount it inverted.

Gigabyte ds3, Asus P5B, or dfi infinity 975 seem the most likely.
July 27, 2006 12:40:56 AM

I really want an nvidia 590 board, but one of those flashy gigabyte boards should work. The ds4 looks good on their site.
July 27, 2006 12:48:16 AM

Quote:

Can I post? I'm waiting 12-16 weeks. That's because I want the next ATI chipset motherboard with X700 onboard graphics possessing 4 pixel pipelines. I'll have to use the onboard graphics for awhile unless I cannibalize my P4 630 system.

What I can't wait for are the ATI boards with DX10 graphics due out next summer. I'm almost willing to wait for that and just skip the X700 motherboards.
July 27, 2006 2:57:25 AM

Quote:
Can I post? I'm waiting 12-16 weeks. That's because I want the next ATI chipset motherboard with X700 onboard graphics possessing 4 pixel pipelines. I'll have to use the onboard graphics for awhile unless I cannibalize my P4 630 system.

What I can't wait for are the ATI boards with DX10 graphics due out next summer. I'm almost willing to wait for that and just skip the X700 motherboards.

Why are you basing everything on the ATI chipset with onboard graphics? There are so many better options. Just go buy a temporary video card for $30 until DX10 gets here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't need it to be onboard.
July 27, 2006 3:07:31 AM

Gigabyte GA965-DS3 for me. I don't overclock or gaming so it will work out fine as is.
July 27, 2006 3:08:31 AM

Quote:

Why are you basing everything on the ATI chipset with onboard graphics? There are so many better options. Just go buy a temporary video card for $30 until DX10 gets here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't need it to be onboard.

I dunno four pixel pipes sounds pretty sweet! Four is twice as good as two which is the number of gpus on the nvidia 7950GX2 so it must be twice as good. Also it has just as many Xs. I'm waiting for new Geforce Squared Type-R, but that won't be out until DX-EXTREME!
July 27, 2006 3:15:25 AM

... :?

EXTREME OMGLOL! :twisted:
July 27, 2006 3:50:02 AM

That $250 Intel mobo.
July 27, 2006 3:52:47 AM

I already bought a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6. :wink: It will suport quad core as well. I'm just waiting on Conroe... :( 
July 27, 2006 3:57:18 AM

Quote:

I dunno four pixel pipes sounds pretty sweet! Four is twice as good as two which is the number of gpus on the nvidia 7950GX2 so it must be twice as good. Also it has just as many Xs. I'm waiting for new Geforce Squared Type-R, but that won't be out until DX-EXTREME!

Lol!@ Deductive reasoning doesnt really apply but we should all pretend :p 
July 27, 2006 4:43:28 AM

I planned on the ASUS P5W DH, does anyone have news if it's compatible with the 7950GX2?
July 27, 2006 1:38:52 PM

i agree.
July 28, 2006 11:55:55 PM

Quote:

Just like I did with my X200 ASUS board, I'd get a reasonable gaming/multimedia card for it. I'd just use the onboard graphics for a month or so and not play games on it. I'm also hoping that ATI unlocks the onboard graphics for something other than a second monitor. Perhaps it could show up as a poor man's Crossfire or for physics? Though ATI's been touting a third graphics card for physics, there was a Twitch Guru mention of ATI planning on unlocking their X200 and higher onboard GPUs.
July 29, 2006 12:35:49 AM

Quote:

Do you plan to overclock? The difference is null between the 975 and 965 chipsets (in my opionion 5% or slightly better for the 975) does not justify the $100 premium. intel has a 965p version out, I think I saw it at the egg. for around $150 bucks or so. Looks like a great mainboard for conroe. granted its not the glammed up 975 version. If your not planning on overclocking, that would be a good choice. :D 
July 29, 2006 12:57:21 AM

Quote:

Do you plan to overclock? The difference is null between the 975 and 965 chipsets (in my opionion 5% or slightly better for the 975) does not justify the $100 premium. intel has a 965p version out, I think I saw it at the egg. for around $150 bucks or so. Looks like a great mainboard for conroe. granted its not the glammed up 975 version. If your not planning on overclocking, that would be a good choice. :D 

I'm getting the e6600 and plan on overclocking it just about as high as I can go with air.
July 29, 2006 1:12:24 AM

is the p5b a good board?
July 29, 2006 1:20:35 AM

I personally have had great luck with ABIT products. ASUS also has a great board out (or so I have read). I cant recall the model number, sorry, its the one with the WiFi built in. Its also like $260 bucks or so. TOO high for me, but for you may be what your looking for. I read it overclocks like crazy! There is a premium going from the 965 to the 975 chipset. Whichever board you decide on going with I am sure you will have one killer rig. :D  After Christmas I plan on getting that same chip. cant wait!
July 29, 2006 1:50:00 AM

I'm going to wait and see what Nvidia comes out with. Hopefully they won't fill it with useless PCI-E 1x slots or move the PCI slots in amoungst the PCI-E 16x slots so you actually loose a useful PCI slot. Asus's P965 board is a good example of a bad layout. There are absolutely no useful PCI-E 1x cards, only one TV card and it's ATI, the rest are NIC's or controller cards all of which are already on the motherboard. Someone tell the vendors/motherboard makers to get the crap out from behind their ears and see the real world. NO ON USES PCI-E 1X cards. I'd prefer Asus but seems their layout won't allow it.
July 29, 2006 1:54:39 AM

you all seem so fixed on overclocking conroe

im not an amd fanboy but i seriously doubt it will overclock as well as the samples intel send out or run as cool
July 29, 2006 2:09:02 AM

This is the motherboard I plan to buy for Conroe.
Asus P5B-Deluxe/WiFi-AP S775 i965P Chipset
Will it be compatible with quad-core?
If not, I think 2 AMD x2 4200+'s would be best, presuming they will work with 4x4
Also, why on the mother board specs does it say one pci-e slot is x16, and another is only x8. thats seems messed. thats only half the bandwidth.
July 29, 2006 2:21:21 AM

Quote:
you all seem so fixed on overclocking conroe

im not an amd fanboy but i seriously doubt it will overclock as well as the samples intel send out or run as cool
Conroe does overclock as well as the early eng. samples and then some too boot. Regardless, When a new product comes out whether it be AMD or intel there is always that question of how far can it go, and from the looks of it, conroe can go really far on simple air cooling.
July 29, 2006 2:31:11 AM

Quote:

:lol:  :roll:
July 29, 2006 2:49:21 AM

Doesn't look like it's compatible at the moment Motherboard Compatibility List only the Intel Bad Axe of the 975X chipsets seems to be compatible, on the list anyway.

The ASUS P5W DH should be compatible though seeing as it is a very similar board but I wouldn't want to spend the money one that card and find out it doesn't work with my motherboard.

I am not so keen on the 7950GX2 though it's loud and theres no real option for aftermarket cooling on it :( .
July 29, 2006 3:13:53 AM

that will change soon enough. Just like the transition from ISA to PCI - no one had PCI cards then either. They were all ISA cards.

"No one well need PCI cards!" i'm sure someone quoted that at some point.

PCI-e 1x slots aren't being used because its NEW! Give it time you'll be seeing sound cards, 1394B cards, and so on and so forth.

PCI is the new "ISA" and the PCI-e is the new "PCI" and trust me when i say this, don't gamble on obsolete technology =)

I would recommend you get a motherboard with at least one 1x slot =) Never know what will come about around the corner.

Quote:
I'm going to wait and see what Nvidia comes out with. Hopefully they won't fill it with useless PCI-E 1x slots or move the PCI slots in amoungst the PCI-E 16x slots so you actually loose a useful PCI slot. Asus's P965 board is a good example of a bad layout. There are absolutely no useful PCI-E 1x cards, only one TV card and it's ATI, the rest are NIC's or controller cards all of which are already on the motherboard. Someone tell the vendors/motherboard makers to get the crap out from behind their ears and see the real world. NO ON USES PCI-E 1X cards. I'd prefer Asus but seems their layout won't allow it.
July 29, 2006 3:23:20 AM

*sigh

this "quad core" is not a true 4 core-processor approach.

for intel all it is is Core technology with netburst inserted. Giving you 2 physical processors and 2 logical processors hence kentsfield.

For AMD its 2 sockets with each having a dual core processor. NOW if you remeember windows xp home is only licensed for 1 socket. While AMD is technically the true "quad core" it requires 2 sockets and 2 processors.

No one is spelling that out now but ya its that simple and retarded.

Your motherboard choice is an excellent one if you need wi-fi.

In reguards to 16x vs 8x and why the limitation i'm not entirely sure. Maybe its using the other 8x for gigabit lan and wi-fi ? *shrug

Quote:
This is the motherboard I plan to buy for Conroe.
Asus P5B-Deluxe/WiFi-AP S775 i965P Chipset
Will it be compatible with quad-core?
If not, I think 2 AMD x2 4200+'s would be best, presuming they will work with 4x4
Also, why on the mother board specs does it say one pci-e slot is x16, and another is only x8. thats seems messed. thats only half the bandwidth.
July 29, 2006 3:33:59 AM

/agreed

that is the board i'm eyeing at buying myself. =) I refuse to spend over 200 bucks.

I got 2GB 675mhz RAM for 151 bucks next step is processor. Next i gotta wait for my video card =/

Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

Asus P5B

DDR2-800
Conroe Ready
Affordable Solution
Decent Layout

Just need to hope I don't get one DOA now and I'm set.
July 29, 2006 4:48:34 AM

I ordered, and got yesterday the ASUS P5W DH, now i'm waiting for the damn x6800.............. :roll:
July 29, 2006 4:49:19 AM

Quote:
I planned on the ASUS P5W DH, does anyone have news if it's compatible with the 7950GX2?

Most say it is compatible, so i ordered my 7950 and the Asus P5W also.
July 30, 2006 7:00:17 AM

Quote:

Affordable and can achieve 4Ghz E6600 overclocks! The layout is also quite nice.

the highest anand got was 3.7 or so, and that was with the best memory available and e6700

my choice of a conroe mobo isn't out yet...but i'm most likely going the the nforce 500 series...i guess it'll be the nforce 590, probably from Asus...

I definitely gave that 5 out of 5 stars, for reading my mind. You guys buying mobos now IMO should have waited for the 590 chipset. It's available as early as this coming week, and it sounds pretty sweet. Read this review to see for yourself. Asus nForce 590 SLI Intel Edition for my X6800, yep I just got a boner, hahah :D 
-Paul
July 30, 2006 1:15:14 PM

Quote:

I definitely gave that 5 out of 5 stars, for reading my mind. You guys buying mobos now IMO should have waited for the 590 chipset. It's available as early as this coming week, and it sounds pretty sweet. Read this review to see for yourself. Asus nForce 590 SLI Intel Edition for my X6800, yep I just got a boner, hahah :D 
-Paul

I am not interested in SLI so I will wait for the next round of reviews from anandtech to see how the board compares to the 975x boards and also price comparison.

I hope the compare the Nvidia to the p965 chipset boards, too.
July 30, 2006 9:07:26 PM

Quote:

For AMD its 2 sockets with each having a dual core processor. NOW if you remeember windows xp home is only licensed for 1 socket. While AMD is technically the true "quad core" it requires 2 sockets and 2 processors.

AMD probably expects enthusiasts to have XP Professional anyways, plus Vista has more versions, more licensing leeway than simply the two versions of Windows XP.

I can't see an Alienware or similar high end PC manufacturer putting XP Home on a 4x4system instead of XP Professional. So, I don't see any Microsoft licensing issues with 4x4.

The issues i have are two processors at today's thermal value and process would be very prohibative in cooling and electric bills, but high end gamers will take that into account when they buy. You won't find this tech in an E-Machines at Walmart.

edited to change 2x2 to 4x4. LOL. I typed 2x2 been watching too much Shinobuden. Besides, 4x4 sounds like a pickup truck when it will really be four processor cores on two processors, with two GPUs.
July 30, 2006 11:22:19 PM

Quote:

I am not interested in SLI so I will wait for the next round of reviews from anandtech to see how the board compares to the 975x boards and also price comparison.

I hope the compare the Nvidia to the p965 chipset boards, too.

Anandtech did compare the 965 to the 975x and nForce 590. I can't remember exactly their reasoning, but they said there's not much point in getting 965, right now anyway, because 975 performs better and, in my case, it can have SLI. Since you're not interested in SLI, maybe you just need to wait a bit until 965 matures. Could be tho that updated drivers in the future might fix the performance issues.
July 30, 2006 11:45:06 PM

Best support now and compatablity use 965, but for maximum overclockablity, use the 975, which has not been beaten...
!