Sign in with
Your question

~$2300 Build Budget - Open to Core 2 Duo - Advice!

Last response: in Systems
July 26, 2006 4:30:31 PM

Why hello, again!

Some of you dedicated forum-ites might recall I posted a thread not to long ago with a Micro ATX build picked out. Believe it or not, a lot has happened between now and then.
I'm going off to college shortly, and need a good stable rig to last me some years. From reading over the recent AMD vs. Intel benchmarks, I must put away personal preference and embrace the performance/price reality. I've always used AMD in desktops, and have always recommended them in desktop builds, though with C2D nearly out and AMD's plans to revamp their line not to take shape until nearly 2008, I think Intel would be the best choice as of this moment.
With a rather spacious budget, I'm hoping for the best performance my money can afford. The only Intel system I've ever used personally, is this laptop I now have; the Intel Pentium-M "Centrino" -- now called Core Solo. I didn't build it, obviously, so my experience in the desktop field with Intel is naught.

I'm willing to do the dirty work and research motherboards, RAM, etc. Though as I've said, I've never built one, so I don't know the first thing when it comes to quality, & etc.

I'll list some past builds, so you get an idea as to what vendors I've had experience with:
-----------------------------------------
ABIT nForce4 Chipset Socket A Motherboard
AMD Athlon 2500+, OC'd to 2.5GHz
1024MB (2 x 512) Corsair XMS PC3200
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Antec 400W PSU
Black Antec full tower
ABIT Fatal1ty Socket 754 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1024MB (2 x 512) Corsair XMS PC3200
ATI Radeon X800
don't remember the rest, this was for a friend
ASUS M2N-E nForce 570 Ultra Socket AM2 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
2048MB (2 x 1GB) Corsair XMS DDR2-800 PC6400
ATI Radeon X1800XT 512MB GDDR3
Antec TruePower II 550W PSU
Antec PlusView Case (w/ Windowed Side Panel)

As you might be able to see, I've become partial to AMD, ATI, Antec and Corsair over the years ... simply because those brands have always been reliable for me. And since they'd been reliable, I had no real need to try any other brands.
Now I'm stepping into an arena for the first time with an Intel build.
I will probably wait to see what the ATI X1950's are listed for upon their release (I think Aug. 7), and would like at least an Intel C2D E6600 for a processor. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions and advice.

Thanks in advance.

ArbY
July 26, 2006 5:13:46 PM

First off, because you have a sizeable budget I would suggest this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

It has all the options and accessories you would ever need, and supports Kentsfield!

E6600 $350

A nice spacious and sleek case (Just using an example here since you probably have one in mind):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Arguably the best ram you can get:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

Nice hefty power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

This should start you off to an extreme system at about $1400. That leaves you 900 to spend on the GPU, Hard Drives, and Monitor.
July 26, 2006 6:53:33 PM

dont forget to include sound card too....as well as shipping...because there is a big difference b/w ups and fedex.....BIG difference
Related resources
July 26, 2006 7:55:53 PM

Why do you reccomend the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 board over the Asus P5W DH Deluxe?
July 26, 2006 8:24:25 PM

As far as I know the DQ6 is the only confirmed Kentsfield/Quad-Core board, I may be wrong.
July 26, 2006 8:45:10 PM

That's plenty of money.

I'd get an Intel 965 mobo, Core 2 E6600, 7950GX2, 2Gb ram, 250Gb WD Cavair SE, Plextor DVD/CD-ROM drive, BFG650Watts PSU, and CoolerMaster Centuriun case.

I guarrantee this would be a smokin fast pc.
July 26, 2006 8:52:06 PM

I was thinking of building a Conroe on exactly that same budget or so. I have done quite a bit of research, but my solution might be quite different from what you want because I'm going watercooling and OC'ing, but here is what I'm looking at as of now.

Asus P5W-DH Deluxe (Probably best mobo for Conroe)

Conroe E6600 (Great Overclocker, and I will utilize it, also, best price per performance)

TT Kandalf LCS case (Comes with all the goodies I need for watercooling, and its not a bad case either way. I like integrated solutions since I plan on moving a lot since I'm also in college)

GameXStream 700W PSU (Probably best PSU right now for 700W, good for future proofing)

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM (Decent ram, don't see a point in paying 400 bucks for memory, might want to get 4 gigs soon though)

XFX Geforce 7950GX2 Extreme (One slot, why not the best graphics card for it)

2 * 400 GIG SATA HDD in RAID 0

DVD Burner (Bags and nickles things)

Okay, here we go with misc. items

Swiftech MCW32 Northbridge waterblock
TT Aquabay CL-W0021 Radiator (extra cooling)
2 UV cold cathode lights
Extra tubing and extra coolant
Arctic Silver 5

Things I'm thinking:

X-Fi Fatality sound card
Flow meter and/or temperature gauge

Think thats everything... shrug
July 26, 2006 10:43:07 PM

If you're spending that much cash on your rig, I think you should really consider going for a Seasonic PSU.

Both THG and SPCR rate the S12 600W as being the best. Many PSU's claim to produce >800W and so forth, but VERY few of these produce with stability.

I really recommend those of you who rave about Antec's and OCZ's models to take a look at the stress test THG conducted. The Seasonic S12 stands out as the winner of this gruesome test and many models prove themselves to be sub-standard. Check it out:

Stress Test: Power Supplies Under Full Load

If I was building a high quality rig, I would never ever put an Antec in it, nor a OCZ until they can provide THG with models that pass the tests with flying colors.

I would choose the Seasonic S12 500W or 600W with the same motivation as the guys at Silent PC Review:

"There is not a single PSU we know of that can produce so much stable power as the S12-600 and stay as quiet."

SPCR reviews the S12
July 27, 2006 12:19:45 AM

Quote:
I will probably wait to see what the ATI X1950's are listed for upon their release (I think Aug. 7), and would like at least an Intel C2D E6600 for a processor. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions and advice.

Being your waiting on the a new GPU you may as well wait on the mobo design Intel's bring to market next month for the Core 2 Duo's.
July 27, 2006 1:11:01 AM

I wrote this under the Motherboard forum, but since it applies to me and my build ... I think it's worth putting here as well!

I won't be going SLI, so there's no need for me to wait out the nForce 5 chipsets.

From reading that AnandTech review which was written only 7 days ago, I think I might go with either the ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe or the DFI Infinity 975X/G. The ASUS board has a wireless feature set that I probably won't be using which jacks the price up a bit: $269.99 on Newegg. The DFI board has less features and the DDR2 standard is 667, while the ASUS' standard is 800. The DFI board costs $249.99 on Newegg, but is currently out of stock.

The ASUS board was proven the best overclocker's solution out of those 8 Conroe-compatible boards they tested. I don't plan to OC initially, but as software demands increase, I may consider it down the road.
July 27, 2006 1:37:54 PM

Quote:
I wrote this under the Motherboard forum, but since it applies to me and my build ... I think it's worth putting here as well!

I won't be going SLI, so there's no need for me to wait out the nForce 5 chipsets.

From reading that AnandTech review which was written only 7 days ago, I think I might go with either the ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe or the DFI Infinity 975X/G. The ASUS board has a wireless feature set that I probably won't be using which jacks the price up a bit: $269.99 on Newegg. The DFI board has less features and the DDR2 standard is 667, while the ASUS' standard is 800. The DFI board costs $249.99 on Newegg, but is currently out of stock.

The ASUS board was proven the best overclocker's solution out of those 8 Conroe-compatible boards they tested. I don't plan to OC initially, but as software demands increase, I may consider it down the road.

I see but I really wasn't stating anything about nForce 5 or SLI. Intel is comming with a new mobo chipset next month for the Core 2 duo and their new DX10 intergrated gpu or PCIE version. I see your focused on ATI so you dont need either of the Intel GPU's but the new chipset, which may unlock the full potential of the Core 2 duo or atleast give a performance boost, for DX10 could be worth while.

At this point it may also be worth pointing out ATI's new GPU's, under the design R600, is comming in November in 80nm then December at the faster 65nm. The R600, while no programs are DX10 right now, will also increase DX9 performance over the X1950. While you will need a GPU now you maybe better off buying a cheap GPU to hold you until R600.
July 27, 2006 2:07:32 PM

I also agree that people should hold off on building a new computer. A whole slew of new technologies are coming out faster than a sneeze. DX10 and Vista is set to come out soon, and with Vista, we're probably going to have Hybrid hard drives and a new flash based boot-up system, don't know if that will be mobo integrated or what. Perpindicular techonolgy is just revving up and hard-drives are gonna get real big and real cheap real fast. Not to mention even with the fighting between blu-ray and HD-DVD, give it a little time and might as well stick one of those drives in your computer for a price commoners can afford.

Either way, I can't build my comp until December when I go back to school, so I have a sketch now and will make updates to my build as things go.

In short terms... Patience is its own reward, and your patience will be rewarded DX10 as much =)
July 27, 2006 4:45:36 PM

I don't like playing the "waiting game."
If you're a die-hard when it comes to owning the fastest, the newest and the most expensive, then you're also a spendthrift with no real idea how to balance a budget.

It's also very uneconomical to upgrade your computer on a yearly basis. A new PC should last you 2-3 years without any extravagant upgrades. Seeing as Core 2 Duo is a new technology, if I were to go with a Conroe build now, I should be set until at least the middle of 2008, and by then AMD's K8L architecture should be well on the road to maturity.
I'm going to be a student for at least the next four years, so keeping atop my PC build won't be high on my list of financial priorities.

If I get a DX9 card now, I probably won't be getting a DX10 card later. If money grew on trees, well the rest is obvious.

I think an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, coupled with 2GB of DDR2-1066 RAM, and either an ATI X1900 or X1950 will work wonderfully for me until 2008 ... wouldn't you agree?
I know hardware is advancing rapidly, but software hasn't been keeping up, entirely. I don't foresee future games blowing away my X1900 or X1950 with sub 30-40 FPS any time soon.

Patience always pays off in the technology game. But patience can be imprudent if it's not regulated.
DirectX 10 will introduce new possibilities for games. There could be amazing special effects involving complex lighting, particles, smoke plumes, visual perception (HDR, depth of field, etc.) but I can live without all that immersion. I'm not a big Single-player fan ... the last SP game I bought was Doom 3, a week or so after it came out.
And too much immersion in a MP game will only ruin the classic aspects which make MP games fun.

For now, I've been playing Counter-Strike: Source for well over a year and it's a game that I can see myself playing in the coming years as well.
I also use the Adobe Creative Suite 2, some video editing software (Pinnacle Studio), I have an iPod and must manage gigabyte's upon gigabyte's of music (ripping, playback, etc.). There's other miscellaneous software I use that encodes various files (such as *.m4a to *.mp3) ... I'll watch DVDs occasionally with the girlfriend. I do form designs with the Adobe Acrobat "Designer" program. I've used Fraps to record footage from within game environments.
General use that shouldn't necessarily be affected by "DX10!!! OMG" or waiting for similar things. I'll probably pick up a copy of Vista eventually, but if being stuck with a DX9 card means less shine on my icons, I can live with that.

January 2007 is 6 months away. I ain't waitin' six months so I can purchase the first line of DX10 cards that'll be obsoleted within 3 months.
I'm not raggin' on anyone or trying to put anyone's comments down at all. A lot of people mention "DX10" in recent threads and advise "waiting." I'm just acknowledging these viewpoints in a generalized fashion!

Thanks for the comments so far! Much appreciated!

ArbY
July 27, 2006 5:47:35 PM

**Update**

Just ordered: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz / 4MB Cache / 1066MHz FSB / Dual-Core / OEM / Socket 775 / Processor
...from TigerDirect.com

They announced that the Core 2 Duo would go up for sale at 3:00 PM today (Thursday), however some simple searching showed that they'd already managed to list the products by around 1:00 PM.
Add to Cart (Qty. 1), Place Order, Thank You Very Much.

And get this, the processor was actually in stock. 8O
The final cost, including shipping, was $372.98. Don't know if that's great, don't really care. I do know that Newegg's listing of the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ is very close to the C2D's price.
The painful part is going to be having that processor sitting at home waiting for me to get my act together and order the rest of the components. Maybe I can hold off 11 more days 'til Aug. 7 and see what the motherboard, video card, and RAM options are then.

Funny thing is, they haven't listed the Core 2 Duo's under the Processor category yet ... the links are "empty" if you click them. So you'll have to search for "core 2 duo" and pick through the mess of Motherboard and Tower results to find the sweet stuff. It's all there though:
[*:13835415c6]E6300 (1.86GHz) - $209.99 - link
[*:13835415c6]E6400 (2.13GHz) - $259.99 - link
[*:13835415c6]E6600 (2.40GHz) - $359.99 - link
[*:13835415c6]E6700 (2.67GHz) - $599.99 - link

PS - this deserves a new thread.
July 27, 2006 6:37:15 PM

Quote:
I don't like playing the "waiting game."
If you're a die-hard when it comes to owning the fastest, the newest and the most expensive, then you're also a spendthrift with no real idea how to balance a budget.

It's also very uneconomical to upgrade your computer on a yearly basis. A new PC should last you 2-3 years without any extravagant upgrades. Seeing as Core 2 Duo is a new technology, if I were to go with a Conroe build now, I should be set until at least the middle of 2008, and by then AMD's K8L architecture should be well on the road to maturity.
I'm going to be a student for at least the next four years, so keeping atop my PC build won't be high on my list of financial priorities.

If I get a DX9 card now, I probably won't be getting a DX10 card later. If money grew on trees, well the rest is obvious.

I think an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, coupled with 2GB of DDR2-1066 RAM, and either an ATI X1900 or X1950 will work wonderfully for me until 2008 ... wouldn't you agree?
I know hardware is advancing rapidly, but software hasn't been keeping up, entirely. I don't foresee future games blowing away my X1900 or X1950 with sub 30-40 FPS any time soon.

Patience always pays off in the technology game. But patience can be imprudent if it's not regulated.
DirectX 10 will introduce new possibilities for games. There could be amazing special effects involving complex lighting, particles, smoke plumes, visual perception (HDR, depth of field, etc.) but I can live without all that immersion. I'm not a big Single-player fan ... the last SP game I bought was Doom 3, a week or so after it came out.
And too much immersion in a MP game will only ruin the classic aspects which make MP games fun.

For now, I've been playing Counter-Strike: Source for well over a year and it's a game that I can see myself playing in the coming years as well.
I also use the Adobe Creative Suite 2, some video editing software (Pinnacle Studio), I have an iPod and must manage gigabyte's upon gigabyte's of music (ripping, playback, etc.). There's other miscellaneous software I use that encodes various files (such as *.m4a to *.mp3) ... I'll watch DVDs occasionally with the girlfriend. I do form designs with the Adobe Acrobat "Designer" program. I've used Fraps to record footage from within game environments.
General use that shouldn't necessarily be affected by "DX10!!! OMG" or waiting for similar things. I'll probably pick up a copy of Vista eventually, but if being stuck with a DX9 card means less shine on my icons, I can live with that.

January 2007 is 6 months away. I ain't waitin' six months so I can purchase the first line of DX10 cards that'll be obsoleted within 3 months.
I'm not raggin' on anyone or trying to put anyone's comments down at all. A lot of people mention "DX10" in recent threads and advise "waiting." I'm just acknowledging these viewpoints in a generalized fashion!

Thanks for the comments so far! Much appreciated!

ArbY

Oblivion can already bring even a top system with the X1900 down to 30 or 40 FPS and Crysis will total destroy a DX9 GPU. I'm stating this to the point of finding what level of gamming you plan for next year as with X1950 will have to scale back to atleast 1280X1024 by next year. If your not planing on scale down to atleast this resolution then truly the high middle level GPU's are your best friend unless you have unlimited money.

A $250-$300 lets say X1800 now and a $250-$300 X2800 R600 in 2007 would keep you at resolution of 1600X1280 for the next 2 years. The X1950 will cost atleastt $599 which is about the same price and the big differance is the emulation the X1950 will require to do DX10. The other thing is the X2800 R600 should easly beat X1950 performance wise even in DX9. The X2800 I use is to represent the second fastest R600 GPU.

You suggested 2 nice mobos but, I would wait for the new Intel chipset mobo's as those 2, only are expandable to 8GB's and new mobo's have 16 and 32GB's of expandability. The new mobo's should have better power management/stepping for the Core 2 duo and allow for greater overclocking if thats your thing.

Your system sound great but, in the high end graphics or gamming, its hard to buy a system to last for 2 years with little or no upgrades.

I hope this helps you in your system build as system cost are a major concern to most college students. I ended up buying 3 system over my 8 years in college at a cost of over $10,000. The 8086 costed so much back then but my field was computer programming so I had to just suck it up.
July 27, 2006 6:43:19 PM

Quote:
**Update**

Just ordered: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz / 4MB Cache / 1066MHz FSB / Dual-Core / OEM / Socket 775 / Processor
...from TigerDirect.com

They announced that the Core 2 Duo would go up for sale at 3:00 PM today (Thursday), however some simple searching showed that they'd already managed to list the products by around 1:00 PM.
Add to Cart (Qty. 1), Place Order, Thank You Very Much.

And get this, the processor was actually in stock. 8O
The final cost, including shipping, was $372.98. Don't know if that's great, don't really care. I do know that Newegg's listing of the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ is very close to the C2D's price.
The painful part is going to be having that processor sitting at home waiting for me to get my act together and order the rest of the components. Maybe I can hold off 11 more days 'til Aug. 7 and see what the motherboard, video card, and RAM options are then.

Funny thing is, they haven't listed the Core 2 Duo's under the Processor category yet ... the links are "empty" if you click them. So you'll have to search for "core 2 duo" and pick through the mess of Motherboard and Tower results to find the sweet stuff. It's all there though:
[*:105210d7d6]E6300 (1.86GHz) - $209.99 - link
[*:105210d7d6]E6400 (2.13GHz) - $259.99 - link
[*:105210d7d6]E6600 (2.40GHz) - $359.99 - link
[*:105210d7d6]E6700 (2.67GHz) - $599.99 - link

PS - this deserves a new thread.

Thats the best price to performance CPU and is my next plan system build CPU. Good buy but please tell me you ordered a heatsink and fan with the OEM CPU as they only warrent with a heatsink and fan order? If you didn't please try and get them to add it to the order as it may save you.
July 27, 2006 7:40:17 PM

The product is OEM, so no stock heatsink and fan.
However, Intel warranties the chip for 12 months, which is more than enough if you think about it.

The E6600's went on back-order about 45 minutes after they appeared on TigerDirect ... apparently the hype rang true and people jumped the gun with orders.
I read that they should be getting another shipment within 48-72 hours from now, so that at least secures my order. 8)

The retail Core 2 Duo's should be shipping early August from online retailers, those will include the stock heatsink and fan.

I'm in no "rush" to get my E6600 as I haven't even started ordering the other components ... maybe I will wait for the Intel boards. I think the ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe will suit my needs well. I'm not scampering to jump on the technology bandwagon, and you already know I don't care for the "waiting game" ... but the present seems like a crucial point in time concerning new builds. Maybe patience (2 weeks max) wouldn't hurt. :) 
July 27, 2006 7:48:06 PM

Quote:
The product is OEM, so no stock heatsink and fan.
However, Intel warranties the chip for 12 months, which is more than enough if you think about it.

The E6600's went on back-order about 45 minutes after they appeared on TigerDirect ... apparently the hype rang true and people jumped the gun with orders.
I read that they should be getting another shipment within 48-72 hours from now, so that at least secures my order. 8)

The retail Core 2 Duo's should be shipping early August from online retailers, those will include the stock heatsink and fan.

I'm in no "rush" to get my E6600 as I haven't even started ordering the other components ... maybe I will wait for the Intel boards. I think the ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe will suit my needs well. I'm not scampering to jump on the technology bandwagon, and you already know I don't care for the "waiting game" ... but the present seems like a crucial point in time concerning new builds. Maybe patience (2 weeks max) wouldn't hurt. :) 

RMA with Intel or just send it back to tigerdirct for a replacement would be the difference. The RMA returned CPU Intel sends may not be new, as tigerdirect would send new, so you may want to deal with tigerdirect over Intel. There may be a chance that Intel may refer you back to your vendor, tigerdirect, for your OEM warrantys as most company's leave vendors responsable for OEM warrantys.

Here is Intels OEM FAQ on warrantys.
Quote:
OEM processor family
The manufacturer or supplier from whom you bought your computer system generally provides a warranty. We recommend you consult the warranty documentation that came with your computer system as it may contain additional warranty coverage information.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-020033.ht...
They will only refer you to your vendor on OEM so tigerdirect does force you to buy extra products for you to have a warranty. Intel does state the retail boxed processor family has a warranty and has a link for its online warranty requests.

This is kind of like you wouldn't send a DELL to Intel for the CPU warranty.
July 27, 2006 9:11:53 PM

Wait, I'm a little confused as to why you're advising me to "send it back" as it hasn't even shipped yet. And what's wrong with the 12-month manufacturer warranty? Tiger Direct's warranty is 30 days on OEM products ... but like you said, I wouldn't be sending a DELL to Intel to make good on a CPU warranty. So if the chip was defective, I'd send it to Intel.

I'm still a little confused. Maybe it's 'cause I'm tired. :\
July 27, 2006 9:16:19 PM

Quote:
Wait, I'm a little confused as to why you're advising me to "send it back" as it hasn't even shipped yet. And what's wrong with the 12-month manufacturer warranty? Tiger Direct's warranty is 30 days on OEM products ... but like you said, I wouldn't be sending a DELL to Intel to make good on a CPU warranty. So if the chip was defective, I'd send it to Intel.

I'm still a little confused. Maybe it's 'cause I'm tired. :\

Sending it back to tigerdirect was if it malfuctions and if you buy the heatsink and fan. Tigerdirect will not even warranty the CPU if you dont buy a heatsink and fan. Intel will refer you to your vendor, tigerdirect on OEM's, so you could end up being stuck with a bad CPU. I would suggest you add a headsink and fan to your purchase before they send it.

Sorry for the bad grammer but in my defence im a programmer not a english teacher.

Quote:
VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING OUR RETURN POLICY ON CPU'S: Please note that all processors may be returned only for defective exchange. You must purchase a compatible heatsink and fan on the same order as the processor in order to preserve your warranty or exchange privilege. We are not able to accept returns for refunds on processors under any circumstances. All processors will be inspected and tested upon return and any damage caused by poor packaging, overclocking, or other tampering with the processor will be cause for the return to be refused, and exchange denied.

Note the bold as this is the policy from your CPU link above.
July 28, 2006 1:35:46 AM

Quote:
VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING OUR RETURN POLICY ON CPU'S: Please note that all processors may be returned only for defective exchange. You must purchase a compatible heatsink and fan on the same order as the processor in order to preserve your warranty or exchange privilege. We are not able to accept returns for refunds on processors under any circumstances. All processors will be inspected and tested upon return and any damage caused by poor packaging, overclocking, or other tampering with the processor will be cause for the return to be refused, and exchange denied.

Ah, thank you very much Elbert. I took your advice very seriously, phoned Tiger Direct, and merged my CPU order with a heatsink/fan order.
Here's what I settled on: Cooler Master Hyper 48 Copper Heatpipe CPU Cooling Fan [ link ]
Again thanks. My nearly exclusive use of Newegg has made me less meticulous when it comes to such orders.
July 28, 2006 2:57:25 AM

Quote:

Ah, thank you very much Elbert. I took your advice very seriously, phoned Tiger Direct, and merged my CPU order with a heatsink/fan order.
Here's what I settled on: Cooler Master Hyper 48 Copper Heatpipe CPU Cooling Fan [ link ]
Again thanks. My nearly exclusive use of Newegg has made me less meticulous when it comes to such orders.
Glad I could help.
August 5, 2006 1:09:12 AM

Alright, this what I think I'm getting for a final build, as of today. If a new mobo comes out within the next week, I could easily be swayed to change.

Mobo: ASUS P5W DH DELUXE
[*:76aca2f893]($269.99) - Newegg
CPU: Intel E6700 Core 2 Duo, 2.67GHz
[*:76aca2f893]($568.00) - ZipZoomFly
RAM: pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-533 (PC4200), 3-3-3-8
[*:76aca2f893]($179.99) - Newegg
Video: ATI Radeon X1900XTX (or X1950XTX depending on prices)
[*:76aca2f893]($398.99) - Newegg
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB, 16MB SATA 3.0GB/s
[*:76aca2f893]($94.99) - Newegg
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W
[*:76aca2f893]($154.99) - Newegg
Case: Thermaltake Armor Series Black
[*:76aca2f893]($149.99) - Newegg

All of this, including two (2) optical drives, a floppy drive, and a hypothetical $280 LCD ... the total cost without S & H is:
$2,160

Looks good to me. What's everyone else think?
!