Windows 2000 server running very slow

My server is running at 100% utilization and it's all
identified under the System process. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to find the service that utilizing all
of this?

Thank you for any help.
8 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 server running slow

    Start from Safe mode and Safe mode with Networking. Mostly, the reason is
    either bad drivers or spyware or virus.
    Install Process Explorer from
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    I've done that and after running the program it appears
    to have the same info. as the task manager. How do I
    narrow down the file that's using all the processes?

    Thank you for all your help. The slowness is driving me
    nuts while I'm in Safe mode. Is that normal is such a
    case as this? It literally takes many minutes just to
    open a file such as the control panel.

    TonyV

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Open System process properties, if it's System itself who takes all the
    resources, and find the dead thread. Then you can kill it and investigate.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Jetro,

    Thank you for your response. I've found thread that's
    utilizing all the processor power now when I try to kill
    the process I get this message, "Unable to terminate
    thread thread: The parameter is incorrect.

    I've even tried the command utility pskill and it says
    that the thread id doesn't exist and i know it does
    because after highlighting the thread it indicates the id
    number.

    any thoughts?

    thanks again

    TonyV

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Let me summarize and correct me if I am wrong:
    - Windows is still slow running in Safe mode;
    - a bad process is System;
    - a particular thread cannot be killed;
    - Windows has all the recent bells and whistles such as SP4 and hotfixes;
    - AV scan comes empty;
    - spyware was cleaned up;
    - no hardware upgrade was made recently;
    - all the hardware is/was good.

    Why don't you post the bad process and thread names you found out? The info
    provided is pointless.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Dump the BIOS or just remove the battery from the motherboard with the
    computer unplugged for 30 mins or so. The 3 times I've seen this problem, it
    was corrupt BIOS.

    On 4/21/04 3:21 PM, in article #NnMv7#JEHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    "Jetro" <no.spam@internet> wrote:

    > Let me summarize and correct me if I am wrong:
    > - Windows is still slow running in Safe mode;
    > - a bad process is System;
    > - a particular thread cannot be killed;
    > - Windows has all the recent bells and whistles such as SP4 and hotfixes;
    > - AV scan comes empty;
    > - spyware was cleaned up;
    > - no hardware upgrade was made recently;
    > - all the hardware is/was good.
    >
    > Why don't you post the bad process and thread names you found out? The info
    > provided is pointless.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    i am having the same problem. let me know if u get an
    answer and i'll do the same.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    If you haven't tried dumping and reloading the BIOS either with the
    motherboard jumper or by removing the battery for a half hour with the
    computer unplugged, you may be looking in all the wrong places. I had a Dell
    Optiplex that checked out perfectly except it was running real slow. Some of
    the best techs I've ever met were stumped, removing the battery for a short
    time solved the problem.

    On 4/21/04 11:30 PM, in article 29a601c42833$57f84cb0$a301280a@phx.gbl, "tc"
    <tchung83@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > i am having the same problem. let me know if u get an
    > answer and i'll do the same.

Windows 2000 Microsoft Servers Windows