Windows 2000 server running very slow

My server is running at 100% utilization and it's all
identified under the System process. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to find the service that utilizing all
of this?

Thank you for any help.

I've done that and after running the program it appears
to have the same info. as the task manager. How do I
narrow down the file that's using all the processes?

Thank you for all your help. The slowness is driving me
nuts while I'm in Safe mode. Is that normal is such a
case as this? It literally takes many minutes just to
open a file such as the control panel.

TonyV

Mostly, the reason is
>either bad drivers or spyware or virus.
>Install Process Explorer from
>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
>

>.

Open System process properties, if it's System itself who takes all the
resources, and find the dead thread. Then you can kill it and investigate.

Jetro,

Thank you for your response. I've found thread that's
utilizing all the processor power now when I try to kill
the process I get this message, "Unable to terminate
thread thread: The parameter is incorrect.

I've even tried the command utility pskill and it says
that the thread id doesn't exist and i know it does
because after highlighting the thread it indicates the id
number.

any thoughts?

thanks again

TonyV

Let me summarize and correct me if I am wrong:
- Windows is still slow running in Safe mode;
- a bad process is System;
- a particular thread cannot be killed;
- Windows has all the recent bells and whistles such as SP4 and hotfixes;
- AV scan comes empty;
- spyware was cleaned up;
- no hardware upgrade was made recently;
- all the hardware is/was good.

Why don't you post the bad process and thread names you found out? The info
provided is pointless.

Dump the BIOS or just remove the battery from the motherboard with the
computer unplugged for 30 mins or so. The 3 times I've seen this problem, it
was corrupt BIOS.

On 4/21/04 3:21 PM, in article #NnMv7#JEHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
"Jetro" <no.spam@internet> wrote:

> Let me summarize and correct me if I am wrong:
> - Windows is still slow running in Safe mode;
> - a bad process is System;
> - a particular thread cannot be killed;
> - Windows has all the recent bells and whistles such as SP4 and hotfixes;
> - AV scan comes empty;
> - spyware was cleaned up;
> - no hardware upgrade was made recently;
> - all the hardware is/was good.
>
> Why don't you post the bad process and thread names you found out? The info
> provided is pointless.

TC

i am having the same problem. let me know if u get an
answer and i'll do the same.

If you haven't tried dumping and reloading the BIOS either with the
motherboard jumper or by removing the battery for a half hour with the
computer unplugged, you may be looking in all the wrong places. I had a Dell
Optiplex that checked out perfectly except it was running real slow. Some of
the best techs I've ever met were stumped, removing the battery for a short
time solved the problem.