system tray size

Hi,

Somehow my system tray size is fixed and it is not
adjusted automatically any more.

The size was small and if I clicked expand button '<<'
then it showed the all the icons in the system tray. But
now, I can't control it always expaned.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew Ko

Hi,

Settings/Taskbar and Start Menu, uncheck the option to "hide inactive
icons".

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Andrew Ko" <andyko1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Somehow my system tray size is fixed and it is not
> adjusted automatically any more.
>
> The size was small and if I clicked expand button '<<'
> then it showed the all the icons in the system tray. But
> now, I can't control it always expaned.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Ko

srmorrison56

Folks,
I just started having the same issue. My system tray used to be sizable; used to have the sizing handle, << , on it but now it doesn't.
I 've using toggling the "hide inactive icons" check box but nothing happens.
Under Taskbar > properties > Hide inactive icons I can click the check box and the Notification area example graphic will demonstrates the change that should be applied to the taskbar but the change never occurs.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Scott

Hi,

Settings/Taskbar and Start Menu, uncheck the option to "hide inactive
icons".

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Andrew Ko" <andyko1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Somehow my system tray size is fixed and it is not
> adjusted automatically any more.
>
> The size was small and if I clicked expand button '<<'
> then it showed the all the icons in the system tray. But
> now, I can't control it always expaned.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Ko

srmorrison56

Folks,
I just posted a message describing the issue with the system tray.
Note that I had rebooted XP three times after resetting the "Hide inactive icons" check box and the problem was still an issue.

The single, "<", system tray resize handle (Show hidden icons) just appeared.

I was poking arround using the system Internals "Process Explorer" and "Process Monitor" and while I was investigating the svchost.exe process, the (Show hidden icons) resize handle just popped up.

I rebooted the machine again and the (Show hidden icons) resize handle was gone.

I addition I no longer get the Volume icon or the USB Safe Remove icon in the system tray. I also checked the event viewer and did not see any errors.

Any ideas why this might occur?
Is there a methodology to monitor the loading of the processes onto system tray?

Thanks
Scott

madf00l

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
I am confused, because it seems the poster is asking a question about the "system tray" which is where XP etc show the date and time, as well as the icons of active programs (eg. MSN messenger, speaker volume, network connections, etc).

The solutions posted however seem to refer to the "quick launch toolbar" where program 'shortcuts' are listed. The reference to hiding inactive icons is for the quick launch.

It may well be that the same option to INCREASE THE SIZE of the icons would affect both the system tray *and* the quick launch toolbar. It is this solution that i too would like to find. Any ideas? how would we change the size of these icons? i looked in the desktop properties options for XP desktop, but neither sets of icons were listed - see:
DESKTOP - DISPLAY PROPERTIES - ADVANCED - ITEM (dropdown menu).

Anyway, thanks to all for posting. it's great to see everyone helping each other.

srmorrison56

All,
I posted the question about the system tray do to the Title of the thread and the origin by Andrew.
Sorry about any confusion.
My issue is not really solved but...
The issue show up after a Start, or Re-Start, of my XP SP3, dual processor desktop. The machine would start and pause at the login screen.
I would immediately login and Boom Icons would be missing from the system tray. After doing this multiple times it seemed to be an inconsistent pattern because it would not always happen.
So what was the pattern.....? Sometime I would hesitate, or get distracted, and not login immediately. So the system would have time to preload foundational OS components. If I pause 30 sec or so after startup, at the login screen, All the Icons appear on the System Tray and ther is no issue. If I quickly login with no pause then boom...Icons are missing.

So I still have the same basic question...How do you monitor the startup component load of the XP OS?
Inaddition...How do you Identify what is loaded on the System tray? Can you set the order of what is loade on the System tray?

I've tried to monitor the OS startup behavior with the basic tools I have from Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell but with no success. Does any one have an approach or a tool I can use?

Thanks
Scott

RMB_70

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[...]

Two things:

1) The only way I found to control the size of the icons in the System Tray and the Quick Launch Toolbar is to change the menu size in Display Properties\Appearance\Advanced.

2) I use Startup Delayer by r2studios to control everything that comes on at startup and in what order. To make it work properly, you have to disable autostart and/or remove all the items from the Startup folder on all programs except the essential processes, then load those programs you want to run at startup in Startup Delayer with the appropriate time delay for each one. This allows you to control what order they start in and with enough delay between programs allows each one to finish starting before another one tries to start. Not all programs are conducive to not running at startup, but it works for most of them. As far as the Safely Remove Hardware icon, on my system, it only appears if an USB device is active at startup. Otherwise, it appears later when that device is plugged in. The volume control I have not figured out how to enable/disable, but don't care. After all this, I then use Hide/Show Icons to control which ones I want to see and which ones I don't care about.

Hope this helps!

RMB