Sign in with
Your question

Help! - Newly Built Computer won't boot

Last response: in CPUs
July 26, 2006 6:08:06 PM

damnit, i've built a few computers and can't figure out why this machine won't boot up, i just put it together and when i hit the power button everything turns on for about 6 seconds then the powersupply shuts off, i bought memory with LED's and it seem that 2 seconds after the motherboard lights them up it completely shuts down, wierd thing is i never get to see anything on the monitor, it says check signal cable.

any idea??? here are specs:

Case - Thermaltake Tsunami VA300SWA
HD - (2) Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YD SATA (Raid)
Monitor - Samsung 930B
MB - Abit AN8 32X Socket 939
Video Card - ATI X1900XTX 512MB Model 100-435805
Power Supply - Kingwin ABT-600MA1W 600W Power Supply
Memory - (4) Corsair XMS DDR 400 Model TWINX1024-3200C2PRO
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2000MHz HT 1MB Socket 939 Model ADA4000BNBOX

Help plz!!
July 26, 2006 6:31:37 PM

The joys of building a rig! Try pulling parts off to see if one is the culprit.
July 26, 2006 7:18:42 PM

My quick guess is that one of those ram modules is defective. Take all but one of them out and try booting again. Run memtest on each of them to see if one is bad.
Related resources
July 26, 2006 7:58:21 PM

I've built hundreds of computers, and I've found out in most of the cases that the ram is usually the issue of the computer doesn't boot up. But, there are also cases when its a improperly configured RAID array. So I would suggest trying to boot up with one stick, and see what happens. If that still doesn't work, try taking out one HDD and boot up without RAID.

Oh yeah, I assume you can get into BIOS, so I doubt its mobo. Try those things first, if its not that, then your looking at quite a bit of headache.
July 26, 2006 8:01:00 PM

Quote:
I've built hundreds of computers, and I've found out in most of the cases that the ram is usually the issue of the computer doesn't boot up. But, there are also cases when its a improperly configured RAID array. So I would suggest trying to boot up with one stick, and see what happens. If that still doesn't work, try taking out one HDD and boot up without RAID.

Oh yeah, I assume you can get into BIOS, so I doubt its mobo. Try those things first, if its not that, then your looking at quite a bit of headache.

nope, i can't even get into the bios, uh

since i first posted i tried the memory trick, i took out the video card, i've unpluged stuff and still nothing, could it be a bad m/b?
July 26, 2006 8:08:07 PM

Do you have another system so you can test parts? Or a nice friend with a system. That would be the easiest way to find out. Try out all the parts: cpu, ram, etc. and determine if any of those are dead. If they all work, then it's probably the mobo.
July 26, 2006 8:35:42 PM

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW... I agree. If you can't get into BIOS, then thats probably the worst thing that can happen to you. Uh... were you able to get into BIOS before, or how else could you have configured your drives into RAID? Maybe you fried it when you first turned it on (Highly doubtful, but hey, things happen). I would say, exchange your mobo or bring it back to the store you bought it from and ask them to test it. If you got it online... well, you could RMA it, or try calling the tech support of the mobo company. Either way, if you can't get into BIOS, I'm 90% sure its your mobo.
July 26, 2006 8:42:28 PM

Quote:
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW... I agree. If you can't get into BIOS, then thats probably the worst thing that can happen to you. Uh... were you able to get into BIOS before, or how else could you have configured your drives into RAID? Maybe you fried it when you first turned it on (Highly doubtful, but hey, things happen). I would say, exchange your mobo or bring it back to the store you bought it from and ask them to test it. If you got it online... well, you could RMA it, or try calling the tech support of the mobo company. Either way, if you can't get into BIOS, I'm 90% sure its your mobo.

yep, it was the very first time i turned it on, i didn't even get to configure the raid or even look at the bios...uhg

i'm wondering if its the mobo or the cpu because i never even see anything on the monitor, it just says "check signal cable" and never changes
July 26, 2006 8:46:39 PM

Try a different PSU before you take the time to bring the mobo back to the store for testing.
July 26, 2006 8:48:59 PM

Quote:
Try a different PSU before you take the time to bring the mobo back to the store for testing.

yea i know but i don't have another AMD cpu, i've always wanted to try out AMD so this is my first build, just my fuc*ing luck huh, i'm sooo pissed right now, and i'm on hold with AMD for like 15 minutes and counting
July 26, 2006 10:16:50 PM

Yeah the PSU is the culprit. I've had bad PSU's that can power a PC for a couple seconds before it will turn off. One reviewer on Newegg that has the same PSU wrote that the same thing happened to him. Review
July 27, 2006 9:50:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah the PSU is the culprit. I've had bad PSU's that can power a PC for a couple seconds before it will turn off. One reviewer on Newegg that has the same PSU wrote that the same thing happened to him. Review

yep, i went to my buddy's house last night and swapped out all components except the mobo and pcu so it's gotta be one of those two.

i've gotten soooo frustrated with my first AMD experience i'm sending the PCU, mobo and memory back and going back to Intel...

thx for all your posts, i REALLY appreciate it :D 
July 27, 2006 10:27:10 AM

No problem. Sorry to see you had such bad luck. Hopefully your next build will go together perfect.
July 27, 2006 11:01:23 AM

....well athlons do have problems with the memory modules....running in dual channel ...first thing i would do in order to exclude the modules out..i would start the machine with only one memory module...

my first experience with a athlon 64 running in dual channel failed too...why ...i don`t know...the modules were dual channel ready...the mobo was dual channel ready ..the cpu ..was 939 etc ....but no boot untill i`ve changed the modules with others (princeton)
July 27, 2006 12:26:39 PM

When I built my Athlon 64 back in January, one of the memory modules was bad. The computer would boot and I could go into BIOS. I knew something was wrong when the Windows XP loader errored out. I tested the ram with memtest and voila! One stick was bad, the other good. I had to RMA back to Corsair. Luckily, I had some old DDR266 lying around :D 
!