HonestIago

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Got my new hardware today and after assembling everything, I do not even get a signal on my monitor, neither do I hear any beep from the speaker (which is connected properly).
I purchased the following hardware:

XFX G520 GF7950 GX2 (works properly in another system, which is an AMD and won't let me test anything listed below)

2 GB OCZ DDR2-RAM PC6400
Intel Celeron D 336 (it is just a substitute for the Conroe to come)
ThermalTake Pure Power 680W

The system gets the power on and I can use the dvd-drive connected (open and close tray without a problem) and all fans are running as well, so the PSU should be ok as well - leaves the board and the processor as a primary source for trouble - but if the CPU were faulty, I would get to see some screen before, right?

Hopefully, somebody can help me - any helpful reply is appreciated :)

smeghead4269

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
First thing to try would be powering the system on with nothing attached to the motherboard but the CPU and PSU. Make sure both the 24-pin and 4-pin power connectors are plugged in. If all three of those components are working, then you should get an error beep when the board fails to find any RAM installed and you can go from there. Otherwise, you've probably got a bad CPU or board.

Did you also try testing the PSU in that AMD system you mentioned? Probably not necessary, since it sounds like the PSU is working properly, but then you'd know for sure.

vsamaco

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Is that the gold version ocz? Do you have access to other ddr2 ram to test with?

I was having similiar issues where it would not post anything to monitor nor powered up. So I took the mobo out of the case, and removed all the components except for cpu. Well when i powered it up, it made a continuous short beep sound with fans running. Based on the guide that meant power... Disregarding that, I put in video card and one stick of ram. And viola, the pc booted! Then I put in the other stick, and it crapped out. After several hours of swapping, I concluded that I probably have a bad stick.

I can boot to bios fine with one of the ocz sticks, but all goes to hell if I try it with the bad stick only. For some reason, ocz 6400 does have a very good rep... But I'm gonna still try to boot the bad stick and see if I can run a memtest. Maybe its just a fluke, but before it first booted, I thought I broke something...

Intel d805
gigabyte ds3
2x1gb ocz 6400 gold
x1900xt
antec 550w

chewbenator

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
The DS3 has problems with higher voltage ram, you either need to get low voltage ram or swap in some low voltage ram, manually set the voltage to that specified by the ram and plug in the OCZ, or get another motherboard.

Someone should really sticky this information to stop numerous threads with problems concerning this board.

garnin

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Yeah, if your RAM is not able to boot at 1.8 v, then it won't be able to boot on DS3

Some RAM that definitely works is Corsair RAM, team Xtreem RAM, and G.skill HZ and PK models.

Chart

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I'm looking to get this board myself and I see all these warnings about which memory you pick. Now I haven't looked at PC parts in something close to 4 years, and the whole memory thing has me confused. Right now I'm looking at Corsair XMS2 2GB PC6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-12 sticks. Will those work? And what if I want to save a few bucks and go with PC5300 sticks or something, would I really be creating a bottleneck in my system?

garnin

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
If you're gonna be running your computer stock, then pc4200 is really all you need, assuming you're running your ram 1:1.

Chart

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
If you're gonna be running your computer stock, then pc4200 is really all you need, assuming you're running your ram 1:1.

Really? I've never OC'ed a PC, and while I'm toying with the idea, I'm not sure I will do it.

vsamaco

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I'm looking to get this board myself and I see all these warnings about which memory you pick. Now I haven't looked at PC parts in something close to 4 years, and the whole memory thing has me confused. Right now I'm looking at Corsair XMS2 2GB PC6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-12 sticks. Will those work? And what if I want to save a few bucks and go with PC5300 sticks or something, would I really be creating a bottleneck in my system?

I have xms2 800 cl5 ram and it worked on the first try on this board. I am using it in an overclocked 3.8ghz d805, with memory frequency of 380mhz. Check out this tomshardware article => http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/31/tight_timings_vs_high_clock_frequencies/page5.html

What sort of processor are you gonna be purchasing?

vsamaco

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Mines worked with default voltage of 1.8v. Thats using f4c bios... =>http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109719

Now its set to 2.0v for 3.8ghz and 760mhz 1:1 memory

CptCpu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Ok at first I thought my Mobo was bad, but now after just installing the CPU I get constant repeated beeps. I guess this means I will have to get A stick of Cheap RAM.

vsamaco

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
If I can recall correctly, repeated short beeps is for no memory installed. I didn't try my xms2 cl5 stick before I upgraded to atleast f4c bios, although everything was set to auto. Auto is 1.8vdimm I believe... (a 2.0v ocz and 1.9v xms2 still booted for me though) But usually those cheap ram require lower voltage and allow you to increase the vdimm settings, to determine if you xms2 sticks are bad or not.

CptCpu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Im wondering if its not my RAM being bad but just the Voltage. They are 1.9v. If it only POSt with 1.8V I guess I need to get some cheap RAM.

edam

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I've got 2GB of DDR2 OCZ 667 Value Pro (1.8v) on a DS3 and when I try and boot all the fans spin for about a second, then the PC powers down and tries to boot again and does the same.

All fans act the same - CPU, PSU, GPU, Case. It happens with three different PSUs, so the PSU isn't the problem. The problem also occurs when the only component connected is the CPU.

I get a succession of short beeps when no memory is installed indicating a power problem. I get no beeps with memory installed, and just get the short spin from the fans.

Is it a dodgy board? Is it the memory?

vsamaco

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I've got 2GB of DDR2 OCZ 667 Value Pro (1.8v) on a DS3 and when I try and boot all the fans spin for about a second, then the PC powers down and tries to boot again and does the same.

All fans act the same - CPU, PSU, GPU, Case. It happens with three different PSUs, so the PSU isn't the problem. The problem also occurs when the only component connected is the CPU.

I get a succession of short beeps when no memory is installed indicating a power problem. I get no beeps with memory installed, and just get the short spin from the fans.

Is it a dodgy board? Is it the memory?

Many people have been having issues posting with OCZ memory for this mobo... I had that issue when one of my ocz 800 stick was bad... The one stick booted fine.

Make sure you're not causing any shorts and cpu, memory, video card are seated properly. Try different combination for memory placement. One stick, opposite channels, both sticks, etc... If you can get your hands on some cheaper ddr2 ram, you can see if it can post then.

It seems that the default bios on these boards aren't the greatest for specific memory, such as ocz... If you can get it to post with any memory, I'd advise to update the bios and retry your ram again. So far cheaper-mid range ocz and gskill have had issues with this mobo.

edam

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I tried every combination, and it won't boot.

Why would the memory be causing this problem though? Surely if it was a memory problem it would at least POST and tell me it's a memory error.

Besides, the thing doesn't even POST with no memory installed. It just spins the fans once and turns off. It should at least POST and come up with a memory error in the case.

vsamaco

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
When you turn on the computer, the second thing thats runs after posting processor speed is the memory check. And I don't think you can even boot a computer without ram...

I don't think the board is the problem.. but either your sticks are bad, bios doesn't give it enough default voltage, or sticks aren't compatible. Are you still covered by rma if online purchase? Do you not able to test it with cheap ddr2 ram? I mean you can goto store, get a stick, check, then return...

windego

Distinguished
May 8, 2006

Why would the memory be causing this problem though? Surely if it was a memory problem it would at least POST and tell me it's a memory error.

Besides, the thing doesn't even POST with no memory installed. It just spins the fans once and turns off. It should at least POST and come up with a memory error in the case.

It's not the memory, it's the mobo/chipset. It's hard to believe they would release a board which wont post with ram > 1.8v. Considering 99% of 800mhz ddr runs higher than 1.8v. Extremely bad practise. It's causing all kinds of heaches for people doing first time builds.

In the end this will hurt core2 and improve amd x2 sales. I was looking forward to doing a core2 build, but after witnessing all these problems, it's tempting to just go with a cheap am2 X2 chip then switch to 65nm when they are released next year.

Personally i'm sick of waiting. I've been waiting months for core2 to do a new build, and with all these bios/memory problems on boards it's a complete mine field.

vsamaco

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

It's not the memory, it's the mobo/chipset. It's hard to believe they would release a board which wont post with ram > 1.8v. Considering 99% of 800mhz ddr runs higher than 1.8v. Extremely bad practise. It's causing all kinds of heaches for people doing first time builds.

In the end this will hurt core2 and improve amd x2 sales. I was looking forward to doing a core2 build, but after witnessing all these problems, it's tempting to just go with a cheap am2 X2 chip then switch to 65nm when they are released next year.

Personally i'm sick of waiting. I've been waiting months for core2 to do a new build, and with all these bios/memory problems on boards it's a complete mine field.

Yes, it is not very good pr for ga for not being able to boot over 1.8v. OCZ 6400 gold is listed on newegg as 2.0v, but I was able to boot with default bios despite the voltage difference. How do you know the memory not broken? Is pointing out the fact that the pc won't boot, automatically mean mobo broken? These are first generation mobos for c2d, I doubt manufacturers would get it right the first time. Just give it some time. As to arguing about amd or intel, there other threads for that.

If cheap memory doesn't boot this mobo, then yes the mobo is bad. But if it does boot, increase memory voltage, put new memory, and doesn't work, then no its the memory.

trixst4r

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I am planning to buy OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 2GB (2x1024MB) Platinum Revision 2 XTC Dual Channel Kit (OCZ2P800R22GK) http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=010870&cid=RAM.475
which will definitely not boot up but i will buy some ddr2 kingmax mem for 30 buckx (any ddr2 mem will do right?)

My question is that after I upgrade the bios to F4 or whatever new version that will allow bootup with higher voltage ram, will the bios ever reset back to F1? So I'm basically asking can I return the cheap ram after I update the bios?

Also OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 667MHz EL Gold Edition 2GB (2X1024MB) Dual Channel Kit
(OCZ26672048ELGEGXT-K)http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=009702&cid=RAM.475
will boot right? It says it needs 1.9V instead of the 2.0v for teh 6400. If so, I might decide to settle for cheaper and slower ram just so I don't have to run through all this RMA stuff.

I'm planning to OC a E6300
Thanks in advance.