Sign in with
Your question

New computer build - occasional video editing

Last response: in Systems
July 26, 2006 6:32:52 PM

Hello all,
I want to build a new computer to use for video editing and the typical surfing and email, also light photo editing. I don't need all of the bells and whistles just something to get the job done. I was looking at the micro atx boards because I don't game. (Any decent ones out there?) Also, I can't decide if I should get the Athlon 64 3200+ or the Pentium D 805. I was also considering getting at least 1 gb of ram. I don't want to spend too much moola. (Approx. $300 US) I have a good atx case and I plan on getting a 350-400 watt FSP or a Sparkle power supply. I will have a DVD rom and a DVD burner and a Seagate 80gb PATA HD for the boot drive and probably a Seagate 80gb SATA for a backup drive. I also have an external to hook up to it. Can you guys give me any advice as to which way to go? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ethan
July 26, 2006 7:27:21 PM

Hm...For $300, it'll be tight as hell. So, do you already have the drives? Tough call. The dual-core in the Pentium D will help, but it is already slow to begin with. Hmm..Well, I'm not that good at Intel builds, so I'll throw together a quick AMD one, and if we can think up an out-performing build for Intel, then Intel it is.

EGrier's $300 Rig

I'm a few bucks over, yes, but I had to. Firstly, we have a good ASUS motherboard with onboard everything. Then a nice 400W PSU from FSP, dual 12V+ rails. Then a AMD 3000+ and finally 1GB of Corsair XMS DDR2 800. The AMD comes with a pretty good cooler, I imagine you can hit 2.2+ with that chip if you are overclocking. I recommend OC'ing as it has plenty of potential and I'm sure you can make a 3500+ or more out of it.

hth

~Ibrahim~
July 26, 2006 7:34:54 PM

Thanks for your response :D 
That looks like a system that will work for me. I was looking at the Biostar Tforce 6100 AM2 but, I have heard on other forums that they are not too good. Yep, I have all ot the drives but, I am going to upgrade my DVD burner to a 16x. (It is a LiteOn LDW-401s)

Thanks again
Related resources
July 26, 2006 7:52:29 PM

Welcome! Also, the ASUS has a 6150 over the Biostars 6100, but I don't imagine that is a big difference, lol..

I haven't heard good things about too many Biostars, but I'm just one guy, ;) 

I know a guy on the forumz who has the exact combo I made, just a X2 instead of a Athlon 64. I think he has a X2 3800+ at 2.4...

I don't mean to butt in, but this is a great DVD burner, albeit slightly pricey:

Samsung

I have it; burns everything under the sun and quickly.

~Ibrahim~
July 26, 2006 7:54:37 PM

Quote:
Welcome! Also, the ASUS has a 6150 over the Biostars 6100, but I don't imagine that is a big difference, lol..

I haven't heard good things about too many Biostars, but I'm just one guy, ;) 

~Ibrahim~

Make that 2 guys. Biostars are horrible.
July 26, 2006 8:10:09 PM

I haven't decided on a DVD burner yet. I was looking at a NEC 3550A or a Pioneer 111D and now the Samsung. $40 for a burner is good with me.
July 26, 2006 9:07:09 PM

I wish that I had more money to spend on a system but, I have a family. What do you think of these specs:

ASRock AM2NF4-SATA2
AMD 64 3200+
Corsair Twin2x512-5400C4

all for a little over $200 through mwave.com

I think that this would be better than my current config of a Dell 2300 with a Celeron 1.8 and PC 133 memory. Man, you talk about taking forever to encode a video with Adobe Media Encoder!
July 27, 2006 2:17:12 PM

Don't worry. I, finally, know the value of a dollar. Looks pretty good. lol, yeah, I think it'll be better than that rig. No offense, just saying. haha, good luck with it! Don't forget a PSU if you need one.

~Ibrahim~
July 27, 2006 2:22:41 PM

Quote:
I wish that I had more money to spend on a system but, I have a family. What do you think of these specs:

ASRock AM2NF4-SATA2
AMD 64 3200+
Corsair Twin2x512-5400C4

I think that this would be better than my current config of a Dell 2300 with a Celeron 1.8 and PC 133 memory. Man, you talk about taking forever to encode a video with Adobe Media Encoder!

That's a decent upgrade for your budget.
The ASRock is a cheapo brand, like ECS, BIOSTAR and some others. But I'm sure it'll suit your needs fittingly.
Best of luck to you.
July 27, 2006 2:24:01 PM

Quote:

ASRock AM2NF4-SATA2
AMD 64 3200+
Corsair Twin2x512-5400C4

That's a decent upgrade for your budget.
The ASRock is a cheapo brand, like ECS, BIOSTAR and some others. But I'm sure it'll suit your needs fittingly.
Best of luck to you.

AsRock is the value division of Asus. Its actually a step above ECS and Biostar. :) 
July 27, 2006 2:37:48 PM

Quote:
AsRock is the value division of Asus. Its actually a step above ECS and Biostar. :) 

Yep. Though I don't really see how a step-down from ASUS is a step above those other brands. :?

Furthermore, in an AnandTech review, the ASRock was ranked "last" out of an eight motherboard review. With a BIOSTAR and a Gigabyte ranking over it.
Do note these were Intel boards, but I've read/heard similar things regarding their AMD brothers.
July 27, 2006 5:18:09 PM

$300? I'd get a used motherboard and memory for $100-$150. Then drop a Celeron 356 or 360(when it comes out in a few weeks that is). $200 and runs silly fast. Easy as pie to overclock as well. That should just push you into the $200-$220 range for the guts of the build.

Note - these are all-new Celerons on the latest 65nm process, with 512K cache. They are *finally* comparable to the Athalons - but the last Celerons Intel plans to make - go figure. Their stupid marketing decisions and subsequent low-pricing is your gain. :) 
July 28, 2006 6:08:50 AM

@ Plekto,
Are there any reviews on the new cellys yet? I never knew intel was coming out with new ones. I'll have to check it out. I really appreciate everyone's input and advice. :) 
July 28, 2006 6:20:02 PM

Just do a search for "celeron D 356" on Google. :) 

A month ago it was hardly known, but it's been lighting a small fire like the 805 D did when it came out. The 360 is the final Celeron Intel will ever make under that name, and it is well, what they should have made for a couple of years now. 3.46Ghz, D0 stepping, silly low power and heat that's negligible. And a 26x clock multiplier.

It's cheap and effective. Not dual-core, but we have them at work. They are um... not that great unelss you are doing multiple processing at once, like encoding video and runnign Excel at the same time. For the rest of us mortals, dual-core is pretty much unused, and will remain so until Vista comes out(which appears to have been delayed again). Even then, unless you are burning DVDs while you are playing FEAR...
!