I love the apple OS but simply can't afford a mac at this time. I would like to, if possible, be able to use Windows 7 and/or OS X. (I would like to increase productive by using OS X and keeping windows 7 for playing my games: L4d2, SC2, BFBC2)
Motherboard: ASUS: IPIBL-LB (more info in link provided)
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Hard Drive: 2 x Western Digital Caviar Blue 320 GB 3.5 Inch, 8 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD3200AAJS in RAID 0
Graphic cards: HD 5850 (and HD 4850 and Nvidia 9300ge on hand as back ups)
CPU: Intel Q 6600 Core 2 Quad @ 2.4ghz (more info in link provided)
PSU: 300 watt stock... hiccuping and giving me problems
Case: stock... very small and cramped
2) Download Rebel EFI latest iso (rebelefi_latest.iso) and burn to a CD.
3) Purchase a copy of SNOW LEOPARD.
4. Insert Rebel EFI CD and boot. The system will ask you to remove the Rebel EFI CD and replace it with SNOW LEOPARD. A lot of text will cross the screen. Eventually, you will see something like 'Type EXIT.' You should type EXIT. Snow leopard will load. Follow the prompts to install. This should take about 30-40 minutes. Once the install appears to be almost finished, you may get an error. This means the system did not restart. Shut the system down and restart manually (with REBEL EFI cd in drive).
5) Snow leopard should come right up. It is perfectly installed. However, your video resolution may not be correct and you probably do not have sound.
6) To fix the sound, download VoodooHDA.kext AND INSTALL as follows:
--Copy VoodooHDA.kext to Desktop
--open Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
--type sudo -s in terminal window & then your admin password (you now should be root)
--type sudo mv /Users/(YOURUSERNAMEHERE)/Desktop/VoodooHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions
(at this point the file VoodooHDA.kext should have disapeared from the desktop as it has been moved into the /System/Library/Extensions folder)
(If you are not sure of your USERNAME, RIGHT CLICK on the OS X desktop and select GET INFO)
-- now type sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext
-- now type sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/ VoodooHDA.kext
CLOSE terminal window & REBOOT
Following REBOOT (with REBEL EFI CD in drive), you should have sound.
7) I am using an Nvidia 9800 GT, so I cannot be sure this step will work for you video card, but here is what I did:
--Download NVEnabler 64.kext
--Copy NVEnabler 64.kext to Desktop
--Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities//Terminal.app)
--Type sudo -s in terminal window & then your admin password (you should now be root)
--type sudo mv /Users/YOURUSERNAMEHERE/Desktop/NVEnabler 64.kext /System/Library/Extensions
--type sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVEnabler 64.kext
--type sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/NVEnabler 64.kext
CLOSE terminal window & REBOOT
Following REBOOT (with REBEL EFI CD in drive), hopefully you will have video (I did).
IF all goes well, you should have a perfectly working OS X system.
Please NOTE: You must always have the REBEL EFI CD in drive to boot OS X.