Turion ML44 or mobile Athlon 64 4000+?

flash79

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Hi all! First off I'd like to say thank you to anyone who can help.

I have an MSI K8N Neo Platinum mobo that I need a new processor for. So far from my searching I think the best two options for socket 754 are the mobile Athlon64 4000+ and the Turion ML44. I haven't found any comparisons for the two, though, and I'm not sure which one I should get.

Also, I'm not sure if the athlon 64 4000+ is supported by the mobo or not, but I know the ML44 is.

I'll appreciate advice, especially if anyone has first-hand experience with these processors.

Thanks again!

The MSI K8N Neo Platinum should be able to support the Athlon 64 4000+ with a simple BIOS update just check their website. You'll have to anyway since Turion ML-44 support will also require a BIOS update.

GamePC compared the Turion to Athlon 64 last year. The MT-34 has the same clockspeed Athlon 64 3000+. The benchmarks show that they basically run neck and neck. Since the Athlon 64 4000+ and the Turion 64 ML-44 are both the same clockspeed you should expect that they will both give roughly the same amount of performance.

The ML-44 most likely costs more than the 4000+. So it all boils down to what your priorities are:

Turion ML-44

- Runs cooler than the 4000+; requires less cooling and therefore quieter.
- Consumes less energy than 4000+
- You'll need to buy a HSF that is screwed into the mounting like the Zalman 7000Cu. Most other CPUs have heatspreaders allowing to use the "traditional clip-on" HSF without damaging the CPU.
- More expensive (most likely)

Mobile Athlon 64 4000+

- Cooler than the desktop version, hotter than Turion ML. Makes for a potentially louder PC than the Turion ML.
- Consumes less energy than the desktop, but more than the Turion.
- Possibly cheaper than the Turion ML-44.
- You'll need to buy a HSF that is screwed into the mounting like the Zalman 7000Cu. Most other CPUs have heatspreaders allowing to use the "traditional clip-on" HSF without damaging the CPU.

Can I ask why you want to put mobile cpu's in a desktop motherboard?

Turion ML-44

- Runs cooler than the 4000+; requires less cooling and therefore quieter.
- Consumes less energy than 4000+
- More expensive (most likely)

Mobile Athlon 64 4000+

- Cooler than the desktop version, hotter than Turion ML. Makes for a potentially louder PC than the Turion ML.
- Consumes less energy than the desktop, but more than the Turion.
- Possibly cheaper than the Turion ML-44.

1. Mobile CPUs requires less power than the desktop versions.
2. Produces less heat.
3. Less heat means quieter HSF can be used. The fan can be slowed down to reduce noise.
4. Combined with a passively cooled GPU and you are talking about a real quiet PC.
5. Good for HTPC 'cause the only "noise" you will hear will be from the movie being watched or the music coming out from the speakers. No need to turn up the volume to drown out the fan noise.

Can I ask why you want to put mobile cpu's in a desktop motherboard?

Also good for people with tinnitus. I help someone with tinnitus issues over at www.SilentPCReview.com; under a different tag.

-------------------
SIDEBAR

Someone registered the tag I used at www.SilentPCReview.com here in this forum so I chose the tag "jaguarskx". No, it does not refer to the car since Jaguar never manufactured a "SKX" model (concept or production).
--------------------

Anywaste, I helped him build a quiet PC since he had acute tinnitus so he didn't have to wear earplugs when the PC was on.

flash79

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Thanks for the replies!

I am probably going to use this in a HTPC eventually, but for now the main reason I'm looking at these two processors is I believe the desktop line stopped w/ the AMD64 3700+ and these would be faster. The low power consumption and subsequent quietude are bonuses, and worth a little extra $$ IMO.

Thanks again!

BTW, are there any HTPC discussions going on here?

good links: http://www.doom9.org and http://www.htpcnews.com
.. and the AVS forums, of course

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Well, both arent really good, but the Poorion will be the better bet even though it might cost a few dollars more.