Sign in with
Your question

We Forgot about the Poor Apple Computer Company!

Last response: in CPUs
July 26, 2006 10:54:33 PM

http://news.techwhack.com/4128/amd-ati-apple/
Apple Computer is sitting there crying now that ATI graphics is gone, mostly because they are going to have to use Intel Graphics now. Which will take a massive Hit on their Graphic and Gaming Performance.

Awwww poor Apple :cry: 
July 26, 2006 11:12:58 PM

Why can't they use Nvidia? They've used them before...
July 26, 2006 11:24:54 PM

But ATI was their bigger Graphics supporter just like the Xbox360 and the Gamecube almost All gaming consoles take ATI i don't know what will happen to ATI graphics after complete take over from AMD. Will they loose contracts from the Gaming industry or will they expand and gain more ground. Only AMD can deside if they will ruin their old relationship or be introduced as ATI's Husband and all will be fun and happy in the Gaming world
Related resources
July 26, 2006 11:33:16 PM

Quote:
Why can't they use Nvidia? They've used them before...

Exactly..Also Apple is a discreet company, and if they choose to use either brand of gfx cards, it's up to them.
July 26, 2006 11:33:26 PM

Quote:
But ATI was their bigger Graphics supporter just like the Xbox360 and the Gamecube almost All gaming consoles take ATI i don't know what will happen to ATI graphics after complete take over from AMD. Will they loose contracts from the Gaming industry or will they expand and gain more ground. Only AMD can deside if they will ruin their old relationship or be introduced as ATI's Husband and all will be fun and happy in the Gaming world

For the record ATI bought out Artx the original designers of the graphics processor for the GameCube.
July 26, 2006 11:35:58 PM

So what your saying is, Now that AMD married ATI the Nitendo Wii will have a logo saying "AMD Integrated"? or will ATI will still reign Supreme? And Why does'nt Nitendo use Core 2 Duo or some new gen Processer Instead of them Crappy IBM cpus that Apple threw away.
July 26, 2006 11:40:02 PM

That article is also incorrect since it says that Intel has canceled its license with ATI. Intel has already confirmed that so far this is not the case.

I forgot about Apple. And that being said, Apple is another reason why Intel has a reason not to cancel their license with ATI. Apple wants a real integrated GPU, not Intel's POS. So if Intel cuts ATIs license, Intel looses money in royalties from ATI because Nvidia already has a license and Apple would probably go to them for graphics.

And the Wii is coming out before the two companies can legally merge so it will definitely not have any kind of AMD logo on it and most likely not an ATI logo. Do you see an ATI logo anywhere on the Xbox360?
July 26, 2006 11:40:05 PM

Do you really think that AMD would scrap a brand name like ATI?! Also if i'm not mistaken aren't the 2 companies supposed to remain "seperate" entities brandwise?
a c 471 à CPUs
July 26, 2006 11:40:57 PM

Apple?

Yeah, I like Granny Smith Apples because they are both sweet and tart.

I like my Granny Smiths when it's hard and crunchy. But adding an ATI or nVidia chip to it will make it a bit too hard and crunchy for me though.
July 27, 2006 12:08:40 AM

Quote:
Apple?

I like my Granny Smiths when it's hard and crunchy. But adding an ATI or nVidia chip to it will make it a bit too hard and crunchy for me though.

I'm allergic to apples, whether they use an ATI or nVidia GPU.
July 27, 2006 12:10:44 AM

Quote:

For the record ATI bought out Artx the original designers of the graphics processor for the GameCube.

That team's first project was R300. I have every confidence that with R600 history will repeat itself.
July 27, 2006 12:11:27 AM

Quote:
So what your saying is, Now that AMD married ATI the Nitendo Wii will have a logo saying "AMD Integrated"? or will ATI will still reign Supreme? And Why does'nt Nitendo use Core 2 Duo or some new gen Processer Instead of them Crappy IBM cpus that Apple threw away.

No I just wanted to point out, that the GameCube had nothing to do with ATI.
July 27, 2006 12:12:42 AM

Quote:
Apple?

Word.
July 27, 2006 12:25:19 AM

So this ATI Licence finishing Will mean that Apple will have to forced to have Sexual Intercourse with Nvidia or it's Intel Integrated CRAP on all Graphic levels because Intel's ditched ATI from now on. And im pretty sure If intel does Apple follows because It's Intel that Apple is relying on right? And if intel Ditches ATI so now Apple can't have a say in this they will have to ditch ATI support too.
July 27, 2006 12:31:12 AM

Quote:
I forgot about Apple. And that being said, Apple is another reason why Intel has a reason not to cancel their license with ATI. Apple wants a real integrated GPU, not Intel's POS. So if Intel cuts ATIs license, Intel looses money in royalties from ATI because Nvidia already has a license and Apple would probably go to them for graphics.

What are you talking about? Apple's Intel computers use a custom designed motherboard with an Intel chipset. It doesn't have anything to do with ATI's bus license at all. Apple also doesn't use ATI integrated graphics in it's Intel computers. The MR X1600 may be soldered to the motherboard but it still uses a PCIe bus and is not an IGP.

Personally, if Intel wants to discourage ATI graphics usage and encourage nVidia usage instead, Apple would be the first to switch since they are supposed to be the flashy "technology trend setter". I'm betting that Apple's Core 2 computers will mostly use nVidia graphics chips (and Intel chipsets obviously).
July 27, 2006 12:42:55 AM

Quote:

Yeah, poor poor AAPL. Poor little Apple. They must be on the verge of bankruptcy!
July 27, 2006 12:46:06 AM

Who cares about Apple? I for one wish they would just cease to exist.
July 27, 2006 12:48:30 AM

Quote:

Yeah, poor poor AAPL.

As you can see, their stock price is suffering from this terrible news about video cards. Soon we'll all mourn the demise of the great Apple Computer.
July 27, 2006 1:00:23 AM

Quote:
And Why does'nt Nitendo use Core 2 Duo or some new gen Processer Instead of them Crappy IBM cpus that Apple threw away.
Do you honestly think Nintendo could get enough Core 2 Duos at a reasonable price for a game console? Also, I doubt Intel would actually sell them the chips the way a game console needs. When Sony bought the emotion engine, it gave them the ability to produce their own chips so die shrinks could be administered to cut costs after the manufacturing process matures. As we saw with the Xbox's Pentium3 Coppermine, Intel provided the chips and they never had a die shrink which kept the CPU manufacturing costs at a high throughout the console's lifetime, which equaled a loss for every console made thanks to the larger CPU die.
July 27, 2006 1:00:50 AM

Quote:

That's not nice. What has Apple done to you? They were the ones who invented the GUI; otherwise we'd probably still be using green screens.
July 27, 2006 1:05:35 AM

Quote:

That team's first project was R300. I have every confidence that with R600 history will repeat itself.

Yup, the legendary 9700/9800 pro :trophy:

The thing with apples is like most froots, they tend to rot after being in the open for too long.
Now that they've moved to intel they have no performance advantage over PCs that the metrosexual/emo fanboys can tout.

They still have a loyal horde of followers who know nothing about computers,
but are willing to spend big bux to feel smug that they have an apple.
(ughh just read some of the crap on their website)
Little do they know, deep down inside we're all laughing at them.

As far as gaming on a mac goes....What gaming performance?
There aren't any games for mac except maybe dyno park tycoon. :mrgreen:
July 27, 2006 1:16:35 AM

Quote:

Speak for yourself. Didn't you know that it's no longer cool to be anti-Apple? Meanwhile, Apple and its shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank.
July 27, 2006 1:32:23 AM

Quote:
What has Apple done to you? They were the ones who invented the GUI; otherwise we'd probably still be using green screens.

Actually, It was Xerox that created the GUI (and mouse for that matter.) Apple stole it from them. Ms then stole it from Apple.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about Apple. The Macs are selling because of the iPod fanfare, but look how many users are using Windows on them via Apple's own Bootcamp. Won't be long before people will want a Mac with just Windows (Why pay for Apple's OS when you're not going to use it?)

Just a matter of time until Apple becomes just a supplier of trendy (underperforming? - Doubt their users care) Windows machines.
July 27, 2006 1:34:06 AM

Quote:

That's not nice. What has Apple done to you? They were the ones who invented the GUI; otherwise we'd probably still be using green screens.

you can correct me if im wrong... but, i think it was apple that adopted their os gui from xerox, who i *think* were the ones to invent it. and then other companies such as microsoft followed apples os, with windows and such.
July 27, 2006 1:42:00 AM

Quote:

Actually, It was Xerox that created the GUI (and mouse for that matter.) Apple stole it from them. Ms then stole it from Apple.

Are you on crack rock? Gin made the mouse, and made the first OS to use it, wait, who did the Gin company become MICROSOFT.

Apples are PC's with gay spray on them
July 27, 2006 1:45:45 AM

YO_KID37, you're apparently unaware of Apple's recent agreement with nVidia to power the upcoming, game-playing nVpod. But regardless of that deal, Apple is free to use whatever graphics solution best fits its needs. I'm sure AMD won't turn it down. Besides, Apple has enough cash on hand to gobble up AMD lock stock and barrel, without any loans.

I don't even know why I'm participating in this silly thread.
July 27, 2006 1:52:20 AM

Quote:

No wonder you were banned. 8)
July 27, 2006 1:55:32 AM

Quote:

No wonder you were banned. 8)
Getting banned for telling the truth...now that's bad. :?
July 27, 2006 2:08:46 AM

Quote:
Are you on crack rock? Gin made the mouse, and made the first OS to use it, wait, who did the Gin company become MICROSOFT.

By Gin, do you mean GEM? If so, it came out after Apple already released the Lisa. Actually, I think it came out shortly after the original Mac. Ironically, DRI stopped selling GEM (Graphical Enviroment Manager) after Apple sued them for stealing their interface - which they already stole from Xerox. The only system that kept it was the Atari ST. I believe it still lives on today in open source. Strange that Apple didn't even try to sue MS when Windows was released. (Probably knew they didn't have a leg to stand on - DRI was small enough to bully.)
July 27, 2006 2:16:11 AM

Quote:

Regardless of who invented the GUI, Apple was the first company to succesfully bring it to market. And Microsoft's Excel and PowerPoint were first developed for the Mac. In fact, Excel was the first spreadsheet app to challenge Lotus 1-2-3, and it happened on the Mac, not Windows. The rest is history. And no matter what fanboys on either side say, Microsoft was commited to the Mac from day one. If it hadn't been for MS, Apple might very well not exist.

FTR, I don't even own a Mac.
July 27, 2006 2:19:22 AM

Quote:
Strange that Apple didn't even try to sue MS when Windows was released.

They did sue later on, and lost.
July 27, 2006 3:11:55 AM

Quote:

Didn't you know that it's no longer cool to be anti-Apple?
Meanwhile, Apple and its shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank.

No i didn't know that, thank you for reminding me... :roll:
Should i wear a pink shirt now and feel sorry for myself?

I'm sure apple execs are happy that they've managed to convince a bunch of confused kids to buy their overpriced crap.
Infact there's a lot of companies that make money selling useless crap to dumb people, just look at America Online.
July 27, 2006 3:31:37 AM

Apple Sucks. Honestly. :D 
July 27, 2006 3:41:32 AM

Quote:
Right on.

LOL Apple doesnt suck they made the IIE !!! hmmm probably the best machine they made but I did like it :)  and they still use it in Lost !!! lol ohhh I must be tired :( 
July 27, 2006 3:46:30 AM

Quote:
http://news.techwhack.com/4128/amd-ati-apple/
Apple Computer is sitting there crying now that ATI graphics is gone, mostly because they are going to have to use Intel Graphics now. Which will take a massive Hit on their Graphic and Gaming Performance.

You honestly believe that people buy Apples to game?
People buy Apple so they can have an excuse to do retarded things like this:
July 27, 2006 3:52:28 AM

Quote:

you can correct me if im wrong... but, i think it was apple that adopted their os gui from xerox, who i *think* were the ones to invent it. and then other companies such as microsoft followed apples os, with windows and such.

Thank you for being the second person to correct me.
July 27, 2006 4:00:51 AM

Quote:

Apple invented the GUI? Apple hasn't invented anything.

I remember using GEOS (I believe that was the name) on the c64 long before the Apple Mac was introduced. I also recall the Amiga coming out pretty close in time to the Mac. But, the Amiga was the FIRST PC with a pre-emptive multitasking OS which I found to be far more useful than GUI's in general. It was funny, but I recall the Mac emulators for the Amiga (Amax) ran faster than a real Mac despite the fact the Amiga used a slightly slower 68000 processor.

What has Apple done to me? For one, I find their lame commercials very insulting AND misleading. They simply exist to create smug cloud without merit. They claimed for SO long that their G5 machines were SO much faster than Intel based PC's.. yet now they use Intel processors. They're just a bunch of hyprocrites on top of all their other short comings. They tell people to think differently by shamelessly bashing the Windows community. Needless to say, their products are weak, their marketing is full of holes, and their products are way over priced. I can get a Dell Inspiron with 1 gig of RAM and 7900GS video for like $1000 .. a Mac with integrated video and other lesser specs would cost $2000.

Anyone who would spend MORE money on a machine with LESSER specs (considering it will run fewer software titles) is simply not making a good decision in purchasing. At this point the only thing 'different' about a Mac is the OS. As much as people on this very forum bitch about the cost of Windows, I don't see how anyone can justify a $1000 (or more) difference in cost for a lesser machine just because it has OS X.Y.Z on it.

So, Apple can continue to confuse consumers and obfuscate the fact that their products are inferior by attaching clear lexan plastic fascades all they want. Sure, those same confused consumers will continue to spend their money.. Apple's misleading marketting campaign will continue rolling on .. I'll still be just like the dorky PC guy in the commercials who isn't hip .. Yep.. Apple is so cool ..
July 27, 2006 5:12:36 AM

Ya their new add with the nerd and apple guy(who makes the nerd look stupid) is an insult. They state you can run windows and all the program's on a mac now and it's so great.....

So let me get this straight....I can pay twice as much for a mac, only to have to repurchase all of the same software(another $1000 at least) in order to make it useful and compatible with 95% of the market's software? Give me a break steve job's. :roll:
July 27, 2006 5:34:49 AM

Quote:
Right on.

LOL Apple doesnt suck they made the IIE !!! hmmm probably the best machine they made but I did like it :)  and they still use it in Lost !!! lol ohhh I must be tired :( 

The mac SE was the last time I thought Apple had a superior product.
July 27, 2006 7:57:28 AM

Mac OS X's graphics engine utilises shaders heavily. ATI's hardware often offers more shaders per dollar so that's why they've favoured ATI despite being crapped on by ATI on several occasions. This is the biggest crapping, but what's to stop Apple from using AMD processors? The illegally hacked x86 versions of Mac OS X were running on AMD too.

I see them going Nvidia... and perhaps the upcoming Mac Pro will ship with an Nvidia G80 in it. They like to be the first to use graphics technologies... perhaps this is one of the surprises coming mid-August.
July 27, 2006 9:36:09 AM

The X Windows System was created by the MIT in 1984; Xerox's version was called W (I think) and was its predecessor. But X isn't really a Graphical User Interface: it's basically a I/O protocol with graphical abilities; the environments most people see and associate with X are actually Motif (very basic, provided with standard Xorg packages), CDE, KDE, Gnome etc.

One could actually recreate the MacOS look and feel using X, or Windows', since X is only a protocol definition, not an actual user interface.

Apple didn't invent the GUI; however, they were the first to implement it in a way that was easily understood, practical and elegant - Apple's interface and hardware designs are very hard to beat, and Microsoft comes a very distant second.

I mean, I once had to equip a 83 years old with a very small appartment with a desktop system (no laptop) that could be put away in a drawer, AND at the same time easy enough to learn - she had no computer experience. At all. What did I get? It was either designing a very small mini-PC and putting Windows XP on it (not easy to learn), or Gnome/Linux (not easy to maintain for third-parties) - or get a Mac mini.

Due to AMD's chips being 100% compatible with Intel's, switching CPUs to run MacOS X is not a problem; it is true though that even if Intel revoked Ati's bus licence (which they failed to do once before), as long as Apple use Intel chipsets, it is of no matter: PCI-Express isn't controlled by Intel, and you can plug whatever card you want in it - be it Nvidia or Ati based.
July 27, 2006 9:51:23 AM

in the end do you really care about apple? not really because most of us use homebuild pc's for gaming. Apple have the IPOD thats all they need :) 
July 27, 2006 12:31:27 PM

Quote:

Now that they've moved to intel they have no performance advantage over PCs that the metrosexual/emo fanboys can tout.

They still have a loyal horde of followers who know nothing about computers,
but are willing to spend big bux to feel smug that they have an apple.
(ughh just read some of the crap on their website)

Someone is stereotyping...just because someone owns a mac doesn't mean they are "metrosexual/emo fanyboys" Alot of professionals use them as workstations and G5s are used for a super computer. I own a G4 Power Mac..I still use windows, I still build computers. So think before you type next time.
July 27, 2006 12:59:46 PM

Quote:

Apple didn't invent the GUI; however, they were the first to implement it in a way that was easily understood, practical and elegant - Apple's interface and hardware designs are very hard to beat, and Microsoft comes a very distant second.

I used the Mac Plus around that time (1984-85). I found their OS neither practical NOR elegant. At the time I had the choice between an Amiga or a Mac. I chose the Amiga and used it happily until 1997. Compared side by side (using Amax), I thought the Amiga OS was superior on all points. It was faster, more practical, had pre-emptive multitasking, COLOR, a CLI, etc.

I find it hard to believe the fact that the Mac didn't even have color at that time didn't kill it. Mac 512k in 1984 had Max Resolution: 1 bit 512x342 - Amiga max res 640x480 @ 16 colors or 320x480 @ 4096 - plus overscan/PAL Modes which I can't remember off the top of my head.

Anyhow, the familiar (or not so familiar by today's standards) Mac GUI came out in 1984. The Amiga OS/GUI came out at around the same time. The Mac was an inferiror product then, and remains so today in my opinion (mainly by virtue of its price). I look at their OS and hardware and see nothing special. History has shown that there apparently will always be people around to support Apple regardless of the quality of their products.
July 27, 2006 1:04:38 PM

Quote:
apple is going intel not nvidia most games dont run on apple anyways. intel makes a super cheap IGD which used to really suck (performance wise) they have a new one for 965 its called GMA3000. they made it masivly multi threaded and it can run graphics instructions out of order and can do 8 at a time. it will be strange if intel steps up and takes more graphics market share with this new graphics engine. i think the full featured intel IGD product comes out around WW 50 on 965 this year. i am going to keep my eyes open for it

I would not put much faith in any graphics products from Intel. At this point, seeing is believing. I have an Inspiron notebook with GMA950 and its performance is abysmal. My 4-5 year old GF4 Ti4200 w/ 64 megs even out performs the GMA950.
July 27, 2006 1:31:01 PM

Quote:
History has shown that there apparently will always be people around to support Apple regardless of the quality of their products.

Yeah I agree with you there. Personally I like OS X but I hate apple hardware...so unflexible.
!