Backup Log in NTBackup

Mary

I've been running backup jobs on this server (Win2k advanced server, sp3)
for several months, but last week this problem started. In ntbackup, if you
go to Tools, Report, the logs are not there at all. The same scheduled job
has been running the whole time. The last one is for the 12th, but a backup
has run everyday since then. I can find the logs in
documents&settings\control\local settings\application data\microsoft\windows
nt\nt backup\data; but they just don't show up in the backup program. Does
anyone know how to resolve this? Thanks

Mary

I've just found that this is the case on at least 10 servers that I've been
running backups on. My guess would be that a critical update caused this
problem. Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

"Mary" <mccato@charter.net> wrote in message
> I've been running backup jobs on this server (Win2k advanced server, sp3)
> for several months, but last week this problem started. In ntbackup, if
you
> go to Tools, Report, the logs are not there at all. The same scheduled job
> has been running the whole time. The last one is for the 12th, but a
backup
> has run everyday since then. I can find the logs in
> documents&settings\control\local settings\application
data\microsoft\windows
> nt\nt backup\data; but they just don't show up in the backup program. Does
> anyone know how to resolve this? Thanks

Hi,
The backup report is saved in the profiles folder of the user who performed
the backup operation. If these are scheduled backups, you would need to see
the user that has the logon permissions to perform the backup. According to
your notes below, the user profile would be "control."

See the following article for more information:

241162 How to Save Backup Report Logs to an Alternate Location
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=241162

--
Emmers Presson [MSFT]

"Mary" <mccato@charter.net> wrote in message
> I've been running backup jobs on this server (Win2k advanced server, sp3)
> for several months, but last week this problem started. In ntbackup, if
> you
> go to Tools, Report, the logs are not there at all. The same scheduled job
> has been running the whole time. The last one is for the 12th, but a
> backup
> has run everyday since then. I can find the logs in
> documents&settings\control\local settings\application
> data\microsoft\windows
> nt\nt backup\data; but they just don't show up in the backup program. Does
> anyone know how to resolve this? Thanks

ad

Mary wrote:
> I've just found that this is the case on at least 10 servers that I've been
> running backups on. My guess would be that a critical update caused this
> problem. Is anyone else having this issue?
>
> Thanks

I've recently noticed this happening on my Win2k Professional workstation.

I run NTBackup from a wscript script file that's run by the task
scheduler every day.

I noticed the logs weren't appearing as they used to, so I ran the task
manually and NTBackup is now saying:

"The requested media is not blank. It was created by another
application. Do you want to continue?"

Because of this NTBackup doesn't continue and doesn't make a log file.

The NTBackup exe hasn't changed in the recent updates to Windows, maybe
something else has.

Maybe after NTBackup overwrites the existing file it won't complain again.

aD

"aD" <aD@simplypeachy.invalid> wrote in message
> Mary wrote:
> > I've just found that this is the case on at least 10 servers that I've
been
> > running backups on. My guess would be that a critical update caused this
> > problem. Is anyone else having this issue?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I've recently noticed this happening on my Win2k Professional workstation.
>
> I run NTBackup from a wscript script file that's run by the task
> scheduler every day.
>
> I noticed the logs weren't appearing as they used to, so I ran the task
> manually and NTBackup is now saying:
>
> "The requested media is not blank. It was created by another
> application. Do you want to continue?"
>
> Because of this NTBackup doesn't continue and doesn't make a log file.

Are you *sure* you have enough hard disk space?? This is the most common
cause of this error. Backup files and logs can be very large...

> The NTBackup exe hasn't changed in the recent updates to Windows, maybe
> something else has.
>
> Maybe after NTBackup overwrites the existing file it won't complain again.

Try deleting some of your old backups/logs or move them to another drive and
try again..

Cameron:)

ad

Cameron Dorrough wrote:

> Are you *sure* you have enough hard disk space?? This is the most common
> cause of this error. Backup files and logs can be very large...

87GB on the volume which holds the (~1GB) backup and as the backup log
file is only a summary there isn't a capacity issue where the logs are held.

It is working fine when I say "Yes" to the overwrite prompt - time will
tell if it irons itself out next week when it starts to overwrite bkf's
created since the update.

> Try deleting some of your old backups/logs or move them to another drive and
> try again..

Logs are deleted daily if there's no problem with them and the old
backups are overwritten on a monthly-cyclic basis.

Thanks for the reply!

> Cameron Dorrough wrote:
>
> > Are you *sure* you have enough hard disk space?? This is the most
common
> > cause of this error. Backup files and logs can be very large...
>
> 87GB on the volume which holds the (~1GB) backup and as the backup log
> file is only a summary there isn't a capacity issue where the logs are
held.

> It is working fine when I say "Yes" to the overwrite prompt - time will
> tell if it irons itself out next week when it starts to overwrite bkf's
> created since the update.

It may not.. To avoid these problems, we *rename* (or just delete) previous
file backups from a script so that, each cycle, a new backup file is written
to known spare HDD space, rather than allowing backup to overwrite old
ones...

Good luck!
Cameron:)