Sign in with
Your question

"AMD Plans To Demonstrate K8L This Year"

Last response: in CPUs
July 27, 2006 1:03:19 AM

Quote:
Yesterday during AMD's Q2'06 earnings conference call, AMD's President and Chief Operating Officer Dirk Meyer recapped the long term plans for the company. Although the bulk of his comments were already stated in during the June AMD Analyst's Day, Meyer also added the tidbit that the company plans "to demonstration our next-generation processor core, in a native quad-core implementation, before the end of the year." Earlier this year, AMD's Executive Vice President Henri Richard claimed this native-quad core processor would be called K8L.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3448&ref=y
July 27, 2006 1:05:23 AM

Do you have to keep posting old news. We've heard that AMD would be testing their "native" therefore K8L quad core before the year is out many times already.

Quote:
To put that into perspective AMD demonstrated the first dual-core Opteron samples in August 2004, with the processor tape out in June 2004. The official launch of dual-core Opteron occurred on April 21, 2005. On the same call Meyer announced that that the native quad-core would launch in the middle of 2007

You did read this part didn't you? AMD could make quad core K8L by mid 2007 but it'll be fairly tight.
July 27, 2006 1:22:32 AM

Quote:
Do you have to keep posting old news. We've heard that AMD would be testing their "native" therefore K8L quad core before the year is out many times already.

Good to know that you know that becasue it seems that "some members" still think that AMD won't show any quad-core processor this year. :wink:
Related resources
July 27, 2006 1:33:59 AM

There is no doubt that AMD's native quad core will be significant, but I'd hope AMD demonstrates it before Intel's quad cores ship or else the publicity would be dulled a bit.
July 27, 2006 1:41:23 AM

Quote:
There is no doubt that AMD's native quad core will be significant, but I'd hope AMD demonstrates it before Intel's quad cores ship or else the publicity would be dulled a bit.

Who cares about 2-glued conroes on one package. Intel is doing the same hack they did with the Pentium-D and the chip would once again be bandwidth starved. They really need a true quad-core design if they ever want to compete against K8L.
July 27, 2006 1:47:54 AM

Quote:
Who cares about 2-glued conroes on one package.

Probably the same people who care about 2 K8s not even glued and in two different packages on a motherboard.
July 27, 2006 1:49:19 AM

Quote:
They really need a true quad-core design if they ever want to compete against K8L.

And oh, yeah, Intel will be offering monolithic quad cores as soon as they move to 45nm around the time K8L releases.
July 27, 2006 1:49:53 AM

Oh my are you ever stupid. These benchmarks tell the truth, and there doesnt seem to be any bandwidth bottleneck. And guess what these benchmarks arent even running the full fsb speed. And another thing its nearly 2x faster then the core 2. Oh and everyone knew that, amd just wont be producing quad cores before the end of the year, that wont happen at best till early 3rd quarter of 2007 no matter what candy land of a roadmap amd hopes for.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

I suggest you keep going from page to page to see how this processor brutalises everything existing even the core 2 which brutalises the a64's. Btw amd doesnt have a hope in hell of competing with this performance.
July 27, 2006 2:05:08 AM

Quote:
And oh, yeah, Intel will be offering monolithic quad cores as soon as they move to 45nm around the time K8L releases.

Are you still having wet dreams these days?? :lol: 
July 27, 2006 2:06:12 AM

Quote:
Oh my are you ever stupid. These benchmarks tell the truth, and there doesnt seem to be any bandwidth bottleneck. And guess what these benchmarks arent even running the full fsb speed. And another thing its nearly 2x faster then the core 2. Oh and everyone knew that, amd just wont be producing quad cores before the end of the year, that wont happen at best till early 3rd quarter of 2007 no matter what candy land of a roadmap amd hopes for.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

I suggest you keep going from page to page to see how this processor brutalises everything existing even the core 2 which brutalises the a64's. Btw amd doesnt have a hope in hell of competing with this performance.

Anand doesn't think the same. :wink:
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2800
July 27, 2006 2:12:18 AM

Anandtechs analasys is completely theoretical. Look at the link and see for your self. Everest is 2x faster. This is on a 1066 mhz fsb, they are supposed to ship @ 1333 mhz. See with all of the memory management techniques that intel has put into their chips, they dont need massive ammounts of bandwidth, they are using what bandwidth is available much more effectively.
!