Two domains in a WAN

I have two Windows 2000 domains linked in a WAN via a VPN through the
internet - can I assign user rights to users from the other domain?
Alan Bornat

"Alan Bornat" <alan.bornat@talk21.com> wrote in message news:<IlAic.1019$1V1.287@nurse.blueyonder.net>...
> I have two Windows 2000 domains linked in a WAN via a VPN through the
> internet - can I assign user rights to users from the other domain?

If they are members of the same forest, they automatically
trust each other. If they are members of different forests,
you will need to set up trust(s) between the domains.

IDs in the trusted domain can be set up with permissions and
rights in the trusting domain.

--
Matt Hickman
If you're not beefing, then stop beefing.

"Alan Bornat" <alan.bornat@talk21.com> wrote in message
> I have two Windows 2000 domains linked in a WAN via a VPN through the
> internet - can I assign user rights to users from the other domain?
> Alan Bornat

Are you refering to a trust relationship through an encrypted VPN?

Rights and permissions are 2 distinct user/ resource management properties.
If domainA trusts domainB to authenticate users in DomainB in order to
access resources in DomainA, this does NOT provide direct administrative
control to DomainA over the rights given to the users or groups on DomainB.

DomainB remains the security provider for the accounts in DomainB.

DomainA does, however, manage its own entities.

Only global groups can cross a trust. Only global groups are exportable.
DomainA should assign rights to a local group. DomainB's global group should
be placed in the DomainA's local group. In this manner, DomainA does have
control over the rights of whatever is in one of its local group containers.

Moral of the story:
Users are placed in Global groups (to be exported)
Global groups go into Local groups (and inherit local rights + permissions)
Local groups are given rights + permissions to resources
acronym: UGLP