Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Samsung 204b VS Viewsonic VX922

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 27, 2006 2:49:26 AM

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forums. I have been looking at a LCD for gaming for about the past 6 months and I have narrowed down my decision to these two monitors but I cannot decide. Besides the obvious difference in size, 20in sam vs 19 viewsonic I was wondering if the resolution difference 1600 for sam and 1280 for viewsonic would make a difference. Is it bad to play games in a resolution other than the native such as playing a game in 1280 on the samsung which has a native 1600. Does that have an impact on the performance? Is it worse to go from a higher native resolution to a lower for gaming or from a lower resolution to a higher for gaming? Thanks and I hope my long essay wasn't too confusing. Basically if price was not an issue which of these two monitors would you choose?

Viewsonic:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

Samsung:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
July 27, 2006 8:30:05 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forums. I have been looking at a LCD for gaming for about the past 6 months and I have narrowed down my decision to these two monitors but I cannot decide. Besides the obvious difference in size, 20in sam vs 19 viewsonic I was wondering if the resolution difference 1600 for sam and 1280 for viewsonic would make a difference. Is it bad to play games in a resolution other than the native such as playing a game in 1280 on the samsung which has a native 1600. Does that have an impact on the performance? Is it worse to go from a higher native resolution to a lower for gaming or from a lower resolution to a higher for gaming? Thanks and I hope my long essay wasn't too confusing. Basically if price was not an issue which of these two monitors would you choose?

Viewsonic:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

Samsung:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...



I actually have the 204B and im using it as I type this, its a fkn AMAZING monitor, ive never seen a better one. Im bias but so what :p 
July 27, 2006 9:03:46 AM

My cousin has a 204b. I have to say I was impressed by the overall image quality. Currently I'm using an L90d+. I would say that you can't really go wrong with either the 204b or the VX922, as both are very good LCDs. The main deciding factor that would probably decide for me is the kind of video output you have. If you don't have an X1900XT or above...it might be tough to run games at the native 1600x1200 of the 204b. Yes, running games at non-native makes them look like crap. I cannot stress this enough.
Related resources
July 27, 2006 2:03:46 PM

I forgot to post my system....
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1gb Kingtston HyperX
Ati x800xl 256


Please give some more input! Thanks!
July 27, 2006 2:45:45 PM

I have a used 22" NEC CRT that I bought for $250...LCD still isn't ready to replace CRT...don't let anyone fool you. I bought a Viewsonic VX922...I played a game for about 30 seconds, boxed it up and returned it to Newegg. Worst picture quality i've ever seen. don't waste your time with the vx922...all the positive reviewers on Newegg must be blind.
July 27, 2006 2:59:28 PM

I'd pick the Viewsonic for gaming.
July 27, 2006 3:14:13 PM

Quote:
I'd pick the Viewsonic for gaming.



U must be blind
July 27, 2006 4:40:24 PM

I think you should up for a better contrast ratio; with only 650:1 fog in games will look like crap.

check out this samsung
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7894086&t...
* Super-fast 2 ms response time
* 2000:1 contrast ratio; 300 cd/m² brightness
* 1280 x 1024 resolution

I just found this yesterday, I believe they just came in stock. I'm buying one today when BB opens :)  (btw I hate bestbuy with a passion; but this time it's actually a good deal!)
July 27, 2006 5:03:27 PM

I own a 204b and its by far one of the best monitors ive used. Amazing 5ms response time. Great picture quality, and defintely a improvement over my 16' Viewsonic CRT. I highly recommend this monitor, its a must have for gaming.
July 27, 2006 5:37:15 PM

I have the vx922. I love it. Great price. I also have an ATi x800pro. I noticed that games lost some FPS on the bigger screen at 1280x1024 compared to my old 17" CRT. I don't know much about the samsung, however I think with your card the smaller monitor is the better choice. Only complaint so far is the fog in underground levels of oblivion looks a little funny. Had no problems with it for CS:S and DoD:S though. Good luck.
July 27, 2006 6:28:27 PM

Samsung 204B or Viewsonic vx922 with cheap TN-matrix ??
To have the top of the screen brighter than bottom? To have poor colors? This sucks!

I'd buy something more expensive but definitely not with TN-matrix. Something like Sony SDM-S205KB with S-IPS matrix.
July 27, 2006 6:57:06 PM

Quote:
I have a used 22" NEC CRT that I bought for $250...LCD still isn't ready to replace CRT...don't let anyone fool you. I bought a Viewsonic VX922...I played a game for about 30 seconds, boxed it up and returned it to Newegg. Worst picture quality i've ever seen. don't waste your time with the vx922...all the positive reviewers on Newegg must be blind.


I second your notion CRT pwns LCD..still to this day..Only thing lcd's are good for is brighter,lighter,and take up less space
July 27, 2006 7:11:06 PM

Of course CRTs are better... manufacturers have had over 50 years to perfect the technology. I still use a CRT at home, but only because I'm poor... I would be willing to sacrifice a small bit of image quality for the benefits gained from an LCD (free desk space, weight/portability, etc)
July 28, 2006 2:04:06 AM

yup my 753df pawns any lcd any day.
July 28, 2006 2:38:35 AM

Nec 22" here also, FAR better than my friends vx922, though it is a nice monitor that the "average" person wouldn't have a problem with, I just know better :)  Both running on 1800xt's, mine at 1600x1200 and I can max everything and still get smooth play. The difference between my friends slightly higher FPS and my picture quality far outweighs any thought of getting an LCD.
July 28, 2006 3:23:31 AM

I have the VX924, the same as the 922, just 1ms slower at 3ms. My first lcd monitor, but i have to say the only game that was blurry in any way was warhammer, all the other games have been fine!!! So perhaps you used the analogue connection instead of the dvi!! cos, what your saying is just, well, wrong....
July 28, 2006 4:38:02 AM

well i for one know to use DVI and run native rez...and it still looks like butt compared to CRT. so maybe you need to get your eyes checked or have someone point out the many flaws of the vx922 and other LCD's in general.
July 28, 2006 5:18:35 AM

I have a vx922, and all I have to say is this: I'm never going back, I can't I won't.
Brighter and better picture quality than any CRT I have used. The only issue is very slight ghosting problems occasionally. But given the weight, desk space, brightness, image quality, and convenience (two computers, two inputs, one monitor), that is a minor issue. I highly recommend the vx922. I only have two complaints, one pixel stuck on white (only noticable in dark scenes) and looks horrible at anything except native resolution.
July 28, 2006 6:02:31 AM

your a little out numbered mate...


nuff said..
July 28, 2006 7:36:38 PM

He may be outnumbered, but he's right. Anyone that's played on a high quality CRT and LCD's will attest that the CRT has better picture and fluidity.
July 28, 2006 7:51:29 PM

Quote:
He may be outnumbered, but he's right. Anyone that's played on a high quality CRT and LCD's will attest that the CRT has better picture and fluidity.


Amen
July 28, 2006 8:01:38 PM

I dont disagree with what you just said, what i do disagree with is the way this guy is trying to make it out that the vx922 is shockingly bad, when, it isnt, while it may not be as good as a crt, and as you say lcd's arent at the end of the day, it certainly deserves some credit for being a good lcd and not a bad monitor!

It took me a long time to move from crt to lcd simply because i was concerned, but having used one for 9 months or so, i am pleased to say, they are pretty damn good!
July 28, 2006 9:02:23 PM

I agree, it's a great lcd, and he is being kinda harsh on it.
!