Kentsfield Quad Core on eBay

aj6065

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Get a load of this. Someone is trying to pass off a chip as a Kentsfield quad core CPU on eBay. And it only costs $1,500!!! :lol: :?

Kentsfield on eBay

I can't believe that anyone would buy this. If it actually is a Kentsfield, are there even any motherboards that will work with this?

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
There are quite a few of them floating around. No real suprise because it's just 2 conroe's slapped together on a package. Fast as hell though. $1500 is quite reasonable at this very point in time IMO. Oh and ya it has 4MB shared L2/chip for a total of 8MB. I dont believe that the 2 cores can share cache though :cry:

JesterX

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
There are quite a few of them floating around. No real suprise because it's just 2 conroe's slapped together on a package. Fast as hell though. $1500 is quite reasonable at this very point in time IMO. Oh and ya it has 4MB shared L2/chip for a total of 8MB. I dont believe that the 2 cores can share cache though :cry:

The cache sizes are dynamically allocated to each cores. So its not like each core is limited to 4MB.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005

The cache sizes are dynamically allocated to each cores. So its not like each core is limited to 4MB.

Wasn't aware of that. Linkage? Either way communication happen's through the FSB so it's not really practical.

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006

No, the L2 cache is seperate for the two dies. The cache is only shared on the individual Conroe cores. So you are limited to 1 4MB chunk.

HDDFreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Why the hell would anyone want to sell it? I mean you have a next gen (sort of) CPU which you can sell. If they were worried that it would be found by intel then why put it on ebay?

JesterX

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
You nub, ever heard of:
Advanced Smart Cache

Advanced Smart Cache: Conroe’s shared L2 cache is dynamically allocated to each processor core based on workload. This increases the probability that each core can access data from fast L2 cache, significantly reducing latency to frequently used data and improving performance. To understand the advantage of this design consider that most current multi-core implementations do not share L2 cache. Conroe’s NetBurst based predecessor Presler also had 4 MB of total L2 cache, but each core could only access its own L2 cache of 2 MB each. The Core micro-architecture with a shared L2 cache allows each core to dynamically utilize up to 100% of the available 4 MB. When 1 core has no or minimal cache requirements, other core(s) are allowed to increase their percentage of L2 cache - reducing cache misses and increasing performance.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
You nub, ever heard of:
Advanced Smart Cache

Advanced Smart Cache: Conroe’s shared L2 cache is dynamically allocated to each processor core based on workload. This increases the probability that each core can access data from fast L2 cache, significantly reducing latency to frequently used data and improving performance. To understand the advantage of this design consider that most current multi-core implementations do not share L2 cache. Conroe’s NetBurst based predecessor Presler also had 4 MB of total L2 cache, but each core could only access its own L2 cache of 2 MB each. The Core micro-architecture with a shared L2 cache allows each core to dynamically utilize up to 100% of the available 4 MB. When 1 core has no or minimal cache requirements, other core(s) are allowed to increase their percentage of L2 cache - reducing cache misses and increasing performance.

Still waiting for a link stating Kentsfield can share L2 cache. :wink:

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
So anyways if you have a Kentsfield processor in your hands WHY THE FOOK would you sell it? I would keep it until later on because people is now spending money on conroe i dont think somebody would be interested on an engineering sample.

But two questions

How do heck does this guy know is a kentsfield processor? how can you try it? I dont think there is a BIOS which can support it. voltages etc etc.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
This is what I asked him

How can you confirm is a Kentsfield processor with 4 processing cores? I dont think even the lastest BIOS of any company would support those processors. Did you test it ?

This is what he answered me:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=217812

Posted and still didnt answer me. Release is predicted on Q4 2006 not in Q3. How the hell did this guy got a engineering sample in his hands? This is weird unless he is some AMD spy

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
So anyways if you have a Kentsfield processor in your hands WHY THE FOOK would you sell it? I would keep it until later on because people is now spending money on conroe i dont think somebody would be interested on an engineering sample.

But two questions

How do heck does this guy know is a kentsfield processor? how can you try it? I dont think there is a BIOS which can support it. voltages etc etc.

Newest revision of Intel BadAxe board support's Kentsfield. I seem to remember a certain individual paying $10 000 for a 360. There are alot of people out there with a lot of money and Kentsfield is technically the fastest single socket proc you can buy for a home user.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I agree with that

But paying $1500 for that processor? im gonna watch it on my ebay and see if somebody buys it. Maybe Intel has been tracking him and gonna put him to jail.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I just started thinking

It might be possible for him to have a enginnering sample maybe some intel representative gave it to him to try it. Since he is located in Taiwan. But I still dont understand, why would he be selling it on eBay...

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Umm because 1 thousand american is a sh1t load of money in china where they work for 15 dollars a month. :wink:

It could also be a scam... they could be selling a regular core 2 duo.