What OS to use with a Quad Processor server

There is a debate at our office on whether we need Windows
2000 Advance Server or just Windows 2000 Server. The only
reason we are considering Advance server is because we are
purchasing a quad processor server. However some
administrators confirmed that they have been able to run
quad processor servers with just the Windows 2000 Server.
What is the criteria for using Advance Server?

"Emerson Dixon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<58f901c42d45$b01d4c80$a301280a@phx.gbl>...
> There is a debate at our office on whether we need Windows
> 2000 Advance Server or just Windows 2000 Server. The only
> reason we are considering Advance server is because we are
> purchasing a quad processor server. However some
> administrators confirmed that they have been able to run
> quad processor servers with just the Windows 2000 Server.
> What is the criteria for using Advance Server?

Windows 2000 Server supports up to four CPUs on one machine. Advanced
Server supports up to eight. W2K pro supports dual CPUs.

--
Matt Hickman
I would be disappointed if everything I saw turned out to be

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:24:40 -0700, "Emerson Dixon"

>There is a debate at our office on whether we need Windows
>2000 Advance Server or just Windows 2000 Server. The only
>reason we are considering Advance server is because we are
>purchasing a quad processor server. However some
>administrators confirmed that they have been able to run
>quad processor servers with just the Windows 2000 Server.
>What is the criteria for using Advance Server?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/features/compareeditions.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/choosing/default.asp

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. This was very helpful.

Regards,

Emerson Dixon

Hi Jerold,

Thanks for you reply. It was very useful.

How does this work with the later Hyper Threading type processors?

If I have one of these CPU's in a server it appears as two servers under
Task Manager.

So if I have 4 physical CPUs I presume they'll appear as 8 CPUs to the OS,
and therefore need Win2003 server enterprise version to make use of them
all, or have I got that wrong?