Server Hangs When Installing NIC Drivers

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

I have been having a miserable time trying to install a NIC card in my Win2K Server box.
It is a dual boot box w/ 98 and 2K Server. I have three different NIC's from three different suppliers, original drivers for two and drivers from the support site for the other. All three will install and run in the 98 environment, but NONE will install in the 2K Server environment. When I install the drivers, the OS hangs totally and the system has to be hard booted and sometimes booted into safe mode, the NIC uninstalled, then re-booted in order to run. I suspect that I have an issue with the OS software rather than the NIC's and drivers, but cannot verify this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, where can I download Service Packs for Win 2K Server? I've looked around the MS site and found nothing.
Thanks
PB Dave

G

"PB Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<5FB69173-A032-4BFF-ABD2-8F4C3E1359C0@microsoft.com>...
> I have been having a miserable time trying to install a NIC card in my Win2K Server box.
> It is a dual boot box w/ 98 and 2K Server. I have three different
NIC's from three different suppliers, original drivers for two and
drivers from the support site for the other. All three will install
and run in the 98 environment, but NONE will install in the 2K Server
environment. When I install the drivers, the OS hangs totally and the
system has to be hard booted and sometimes booted into safe mode, the
NIC uninstalled, then re-booted in order to run. I suspect that I have
an issue with the OS software rather than the NIC's and drivers, but
cannot verify this.

Make sure that all three NICs are on the HCL and supported.

If you can disable the NICs individually in the BIOS? You should be
able to install them one at a time in W2K server by disabling the
other two in the BIOS. You can check device manager for what resources
might be in conflict.

--
Matt Hickman
Goodness Matthew! I wish you wouldn't talk about an A-bomb
being over Des Moines, even in fun.
Robert A. Heinlein (1907 - 1988)
_Space Cadet_ c. 1948

G

Hi Matt: Thanks for your reply.
Actually, I've only been trying to install one NIC. When the one proved uninstallable, I tried another one, then another one. All with the exact same result.
I have uninstalled each before attempting the next and even re-installed Server then 98, always the same result. Each of them will work in 98, but the Server OS hangs as soon as the driver begins to install.
I am becoming more and more sure that it is an O.S. issue but have found no references to this problem at Microsoft.
My copy of Server is an evaluation copy and so far my evaluation of Server is that it is not too impressive. ;)
PB Dave