Parts for a New Computer?

nihsnek

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Hey all,

I am starting to build basic computers for friends, family, etc.

My first customer would like something cheap compared to HP/Dell etc., but the same "bang". She does not game nor do any heavy work(such as video editing, etc).

Something around 400-600ish would be fine, as long as it runs, and will run for awhile. She doesn't need any fancy video card, sound card, or an $1k processor.

Being my very first time building a PC, I was wondering if someone could help me out here. So to stay, get me started. Recommend a motherboard, PSU, case, whatever, will help greatly. I've decided to use Newegg.com as a main place to buy my parts, since there service/price is pretty good. I'll probably also need to buy a copy of Windows XP Professional to go along, so count that in.

This is an estimate of what she does, versus what she wants.

------------------She does -------------------
E-Mails, Word documents, Quicken...also, she uses AOL Dial-Up, so a modem is a requirement.

------------------She wants-------------------
2GB RAM(is it really needed for what she's doing?)
Long lasting PC, hopefully having no hardware problems.

That's about it...I'm not asking for people to build the computer, just give me some suggestions, good, cheap, hardware...

-Thanks, Nih

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Hello and welcome to TG Forumz!

OK, a nice and easy budget. I'm sorry, but I have a personal preference towards AMD and its wicked low CPU prices. So, lets see what we can cook up with a max budget of $600.

I have a nitpick of giving people entire wishlists which is usually the full PC. I'll try that and I'll explain along the way.

$600 Budget

Firstly we have a case+PSU combination. 480W is more than enough for what are pulling through. I would've liked more amps on the 12V rail, but I couldn't fit a good case and a good PSU in that price range.

Next is a AM2 motherboard with everything onboard. It has an open PCI-e x16 slot if she ever becomes a gamer.

Then we have a dual-core processor, very fast. You may OC if wanted. Very future proof. Many years.

Then we have 2GB of fast DDR2-800 memory. There have been compatability issues, but I think those have been fixed. Future-proof.

A very fast drive, near 10,000RPM drive speeds, very cheap, uber space. Future-Proof.

A good 'ole modem.

An amazing DVD burner. I have one, it burns nearly everything under the sun and with speed. It even has Lightscribe! Lightscribe is a useless feature that everyone loves to have. If you ever need a light imprint of some vague letters, this burner can do it.

As you can see, I am $39.94 over budget, but the memory has a $40 rebate, :D

hth

~Ibrahim~

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Crapola. I forgot you needed an OS! F*ck. I think we must halve the memory. Argh! I'm sorry. You don't have any other copies of Windows?

Well, I'm still $20 overboard. Is that OK?

Without OS, we are right on budget with 2GB of RAM. With OS we are over budget with 1GB of RAM. Curse.

~Ibrahim~

nihsnek

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Crapola. I forgot you needed an OS! F*ck. I think we must halve the memory. Argh! I'm sorry. You don't have any other copies of Windows?

Well, I'm still $20 overboard. Is that OK?

Without OS, we are right on budget with 2GB of RAM. With OS we are over budget with 1GB of RAM. Curse.

~Ibrahim~

Wow. Just wow. Thank you sooo much for your help mate, you can't understand how much this will help me!

I do have a *pirated* copy of windows on an CD, but now these days that dumb Windows Genuine Advantage thing messes it up...

1GB RAM + OS, being a little over is fine. I don't truely think she needs 2GB.

Again, thank you so much. Also, if anything comes up, pricecuts, what have you, could you respond back here and tell me?

Just trying to save as much as possible, :D .

EDIT: Since the processor is an AMD 64 x2 3800+, do I need the "64 bit" version of windows? Heh, sorry if this is a dumb question.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
You're very welcome. Yeah, that Genuine Advantage screws with you. All right, 1GB is fine for most users. I will of course tell you if a price cut comes up.

To save $10 you should get the processor from Monarch Computers, but it may come earlier or, worse, later than the rest of the computer.

If you want, you could a very simple OC to 2.2GHz. It will extremely stable as the CPU is a very overclockable CPU. The memory is good as well, I think. An extra 200Mhz will add plenty of speed. Make sure you bench and bench and bench before you finally give it to the customer, of course.

::EDIT::

Forgot to answer your last question. No, there is no need to get the x64 version. Actually, it is recommended *not* to use the x64 version as of numerous driver issues. You have to have a special x64 driver for everything.

~Ibrahim~

P.S. I don't mean to be rude, really. But do you feel confident enough to build a machine and actually sell it? Not trying to be rude, again, but...

nihsnek

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Well...that is what I'll find out.

This computer is for family, so I can take my time, etc. I feel confident right now, but I'll have to gain waaaaaaay more knowledge before I do this for the "general public". Lol, thank's for your concern, and thanks for the help!

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
EDIT: Since the processor is an AMD 64 x2 3800+, do I need the "64 bit" version of windows? Heh, sorry if this is a dumb question.

No, and I wouldn't recommend it. There is Application and Hardware compatibility issues.

XP Home is more than enough for what she says she'll be doing.

Really, she doesn't need even 1gb. 512 would be fine. I built a machine for my mother in law not too long ago, and it had 512mb and she's never noticed it being slow.

NewEgg.com is a good place to do your shopping.
You can use the Shopping Cart features and Saved Wish Lists to do several "test builds" to compare price vs features for several different combos.

Here is a $600 system that includes LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse and OS (but no speakers).
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=3394945

The Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse user interface equipment is (in my opinion) JUST as important, if not more important than the CPU/RAM and video system components.

Given the the planned uses of the system's intended owner you have to compare the value vs performance vs usability with pre-built systems like Dell and HP similar priced models.

A smiliar spec'd & priced Dell E310 (with speakers included) ran $591.
It also included 17 inch LCD monitor, keyboard mouse and OS.
With FREE SHIPPING. The NewEgg order shipping was $32 (although rebates on some components offset that somewhat.)

Another good thing about NewEgg is that you can make your wish list public and let people comment or discuss the list in the forums.