knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I was thinking about innovations to air cooling for cpu's and gpu's as well I suppose to a extent and general heat withen the case itself and was wondering if you could some how setup like a small mini vacuum like a tube that went directly from the cpu to outside of the case how much something like that might help with air cooling kinda similar to the way a turbocharger or supercharger works for car engines to expell heat out and away from the engine quicker and the suction might also help better dissapate the heat from the heatsink as well. I'd think something like that could help some with cooling, but obviously haven't tryed or tested such a concept I was just curiouse if it's been tryed or thought of before. I don't think it would be too hard to setup the only thing that I think might be hard to do is finding a vaccum with a decent amount of suction, but also quite since standard house vaccums tend to be rather loud lol. Here's a link to a tube that'd work to vaccum the hot our out from.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16800888078

and for a vaccum I don't really know I did see something neat tho that's like a mini vaccum for keyboards apparently and is usb powered wonder how powerful and how load it is tho. I'd probably test it with a house vaccum tho first just to see what kind of difference it could potentially provide if any might be surprizing for all I know. Anyways here's a link to that usb computer vac as well.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?cpncode=07-10953779-2&dest=9999999997&product_id=5018732&sourceid=1500000000000002029270&srccode=cii_13736960

Anyways yeah kind of a crazy idea, but oh well just an idea afterall.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I was thinking about innovations to air cooling for cpu's and gpu's as well I suppose to a extent and general heat withen the case itself and was wondering if you could some how setup like a small mini vacuum like a tube that went directly from the cpu to outside of the case how much something like that might help with air cooling kinda similar to the way a turbocharger or supercharger works for car engines to expell heat out and away from the engine quicker and the suction might also help better dissapate the heat from the heatsink as well. I'd think something like that could help some with cooling, but obviously haven't tryed or tested such a concept I was just curiouse if it's been tryed or thought of before. I don't think it would be too hard to setup the only thing that I think might be hard to do is finding a vaccum with a decent amount of suction, but also quite since standard house vaccums tend to be rather loud lol. Here's a link to a tube that'd work to vaccum the hot our out from.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16800888078

and for a vaccum I don't really know I did see something neat tho that's like a mini vaccum for keyboards apparently and is usb powered wonder how powerful and how load it is tho. I'd probably test it with a house vaccum tho first just to see what kind of difference it could potentially provide if any might be surprizing for all I know. Anyways here's a link to that usb computer vac as well.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?cpncode=07-10953779-2&dest=9999999997&product_id=5018732&sourceid=1500000000000002029270&srccode=cii_13736960

Anyways yeah kind of a crazy idea, but oh well just an idea afterall.

Holy grammar batman, someone buy this guy a period or twenty.

Turbochargers and superchargers don't work to cool down an automobile engine, either. They use a compressor to compress the air going into the engine before combustion. This provides the engine with more oxygen to react with the fuel, thereby increasing the force of the combustion in the cylinder and as a result the output of the engine. I don't remember either a turbocharger or supercharger having anything to do with the cooling of an engine...

As for the vacuum idea...exhausting hot air away from the cpu hsf area shouldn't be enough of a problem to warrant a vacuum for it, as long as your case airflow doesn't suck. A better solution would be to find a way to ensure that the fan is blowing colder air directly onto the heatsink, which the duct you linked to appears to do, if you set it up correctly.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
First of all that would only work if the fan on the cpu heatsink blew out instead of in (blows in on majority of systems). Why does it blow in? Because it also blows air across some other components on the motherboard that need cooling as well.

That duct idea has been around for a while and is even included in some cases (like the Antec Sonata II) but doesn't work as well unless you attach it to a case fan.