the_gamer

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Recently my PC shut itself down while gaming and when it rebooted my onboard sound was very poor quality and windows loaded a lot slower. It also seems to have to spend longer loading from the hard drive. My motherboard is a P5P500SE asus and i have an 80g sata HD. Assuming that i don't care about my onboard sound any more since i've now got in another sound card, what is most likely to be causing the problem with the slower loading?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Could be, but you might also have overheating issues. Since you have an Intel mobo, I assume you have a P4, and when Intel CPU's overheat, they slow down to prevent themselves from incinerating your computer, you, your house, and possibly half the neighborhood. Eitherway I would check your CPU temperature and see how high it gets. If its nothing dealing with hardware though, then its probably anti-virus and spyware, although I don't see how that can affect your sound card... shrug

the_gamer

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
i reformatted after the crash so it's definitely not a virus. i have noticed that my cpu temp is 5-10 degrees higher at idle (used to be 35 now it's 40-45) and i can also feel that my power supply gets hot when i play games. i've replaced my power supply since and all the voltages seem to be fine on it too but it still gets fairly hot when i play games. can my motherboard possibly cause higher temps like this? i originally thought it was my psu's fault which is why i replaced it, but it apparently wasn't