one password for access

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi All,

Hope i'm in the right group for this question.

I have a network running with 3 machines running on windows 2000. How can I
set-up the "network" that when I login on machine A it automatically gives
me the correct access to machine B and C, meaning the "network"shour
recognise me
as user X having access on folders on machine A and B wher X is allowed to
do so.

This without having constantly entering ID an passwords on machine B and C

Regards,
KaaDee

"Nick" <n@n.nl> wrote in message news:10948ogb7r1f914@corp.supernews.com...

> Hi All,
>
> Hope i'm in the right group for this question.
>
> I have a network running with 3 machines running on windows 2000. How can
> set-up the "network" that when I login on machine A it automatically gives
> me the correct access to machine B and C, meaning the "network"shour
> recognise me
> as user X having access on folders on machine A and B wher X is allowed to
> do so.
>
> This without having constantly entering ID an passwords on machine B and C
>
> Regards,
> KaaDee

The definition you seek is a domain. 3 machines in a workgroup involve 3
seperate security providers. A domain encapsulates all its members in a
single security provider.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi "SaltPeter",

How can i set the "domain" up?
Is it standard available in windows2000 or do i need additional software?

Regards,
Nick

"SaltPeter" <SaltPeter@Jupiter.sys> schreef in bericht

> "Nick" <n@n.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Hope i'm in the right group for this question.
> >
> > I have a network running with 3 machines running on windows 2000. How
can
> > set-up the "network" that when I login on machine A it automatically
gives
> > me the correct access to machine B and C, meaning the "network"shour
> > recognise me
> > as user X having access on folders on machine A and B wher X is allowed
> > do so.
> >
> > This without having constantly entering ID an passwords on machine B and
> >
> > Regards,
> > KaaDee
> >

> The definition you seek is a domain. 3 machines in a workgroup involve 3
> seperate security providers. A domain encapsulates all its members in a
> single security provider.

Hi,

You cannot setup a domain on windows 2000 professional. You will need to
purchase windows 2000 server.

John
"Nick" <n@n.nl> wrote in message news:1094cm5gaumesa3@corp.supernews.com...
> Hi "SaltPeter",
>
> How can i set the "domain" up?
> Is it standard available in windows2000 or do i need additional software?
>
> Regards,
> Nick
>
> "SaltPeter" <SaltPeter@Jupiter.sys> schreef in bericht
> >
> > "Nick" <n@n.nl> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Hope i'm in the right group for this question.
> > >
> > > I have a network running with 3 machines running on windows 2000. How
> can
> > > set-up the "network" that when I login on machine A it automatically
> gives
> > > me the correct access to machine B and C, meaning the "network"shour
> > > recognise me
> > > as user X having access on folders on machine A and B wher X is
allowed
> > > do so.
> > >
> > > This without having constantly entering ID an passwords on machine B
and

> > > Regards,
> > > KaaDee
> > >

> > The definition you seek is a domain. 3 machines in a workgroup involve 3
> > seperate security providers. A domain encapsulates all its members in a
> > single security provider.

"Nick" <n@n.nl> wrote in message news:1094cm5gaumesa3@corp.supernews.com...
> Hi "SaltPeter",
>
> How can i set the "domain" up?
> Is it standard available in windows2000 or do i need additional software?
>
> Regards,
> Nick

You won't be able to without a server. The point was that in a workgroup,
each system is responsible for its own security. So if userA logs on to
systemA and maps a resource to systemB and systemC (assuming systemB and
SystemC have an account prepared for userA with appropriate rights), if a
userA then logs in to systemC, the userA on systemC is not the same as userA
on systemA. You have to configure the same setup at each node for each user.