Corprus disease

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 17, 2004 3:45:56 PM

Hi all, I've been playing Morrowind for a while now (Char is at level 18)
and I'm hooked :)

This game is sooooo big I have only just scratched the surface, even though
I've been playing for so long. I have a few little questions.

Last night I went to the Sixth house base near Gnar Mok, I killed Dargoth
who had a message from me from the other (bigger) Dargoth saying I needed to
join him (not!). Anyways, he gave me Corprus disease. I notice that the
effects are that it reduces some of my stats by 1 point. Now is this 1
point period or does it mean 1 point less every day or something?

I dont really want to do much more of the main quest yet so I'd like to know
whether I should reload before getting Corprus or can I continue with side
quests for a while (long while cause there are heaps!) without dying of
Corprus?

Cheers Dre

More about : corprus disease

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 3:45:57 PM

Dre wrote:

> Hi all, I've been playing Morrowind for a while now (Char is at level 18)
> and I'm hooked :)
>
> This game is sooooo big I have only just scratched the surface, even though
> I've been playing for so long. I have a few little questions.
>
> Last night I went to the Sixth house base near Gnar Mok, I killed Dargoth
> who had a message from me from the other (bigger) Dargoth saying I needed to
> join him (not!). Anyways, he gave me Corprus disease. I notice that the
> effects are that it reduces some of my stats by 1 point. Now is this 1
> point period or does it mean 1 point less every day or something?
>
> I dont really want to do much more of the main quest yet so I'd like to know
> whether I should reload before getting Corprus or can I continue with side
> quests for a while (long while cause there are heaps!) without dying of
> Corprus?
>
> Cheers Dre

You will have some trouble interacting with people while you are
diseased. Your contact in Balmora will tell you how to get cured.
After this short side trip you can continue with other things as long as
you want.
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 3:45:57 PM

"Dre" wrote:
> I dont really want to do much more of the main quest yet so I'd like to
> know whether I should reload before getting Corprus or can I continue
> with side quests for a while (long while cause there are heaps!) without
> dying of Corprus?

I am not sure if Corprus will kill you eventually. However, it will be
difficult to complete many Guild and House quests while you have Corprus,
because people will not want to talk with you. You are probably best off
either going back to Caius, and concentrating on the Main Quest for a little
bit, or going back to a pre-Gnaar Mok savegame. Note that you still have
quite a ways to go with the Main Quest, so you will have plenty of time to
complete side quests in the future, even if you do some more of the Main
Quest right now.

--
Rick Cavalla
rac22@NO.erols.SPAM.com

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:45:56 +1000, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Dre" <ausjules1977@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all, I've been playing Morrowind for a while now (Char is at level 18)
>and I'm hooked :)
>
>This game is sooooo big I have only just scratched the surface, even though
>I've been playing for so long. I have a few little questions.
>
>Last night I went to the Sixth house base near Gnar Mok, I killed Dargoth
>who had a message from me from the other (bigger) Dargoth saying I needed to
>join him (not!). Anyways, he gave me Corprus disease. I notice that the
>effects are that it reduces some of my stats by 1 point. Now is this 1
>point period or does it mean 1 point less every day or something?
>
>I dont really want to do much more of the main quest yet so I'd like to know
>whether I should reload before getting Corprus or can I continue with side
>quests for a while (long while cause there are heaps!) without dying of
>Corprus?
>
>Cheers Dre

Having Corpus can be a good thing if you wait awhile before seeking a
cure! EVERY Game Day your character has Corpus, your character's
Strength AND Endurance goes up one PERMANENT point! Granted a couple of
attributes decrease one point each day, however they can be restored to
normal with spells, potions, or by visiting a Temple...

If you'd like having Super Strength and Endurance AFTER getting cured of
Corpus, keep resting 24 hours at a time until your character's strength
and endurance get really high (like to maybe 300 each), then get cured.
To keep from getting REALLY Stupid while waiting for your strength and
endurance to get high enough, it's a good idea to restore your lowered
attributes every dozen of so game days...

Once you do get cured of Corpus, your new High Strength and Endurance
levels will be Permanent, though keep in mind that they can still be
Permanently lowered by spells or curses (they can't be later restored to
anything higher than 100)... ^_^

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.
September 17, 2004 5:00:28 PM

"Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Dre wrote:
>
> > Hi all, I've been playing Morrowind for a while now (Char is at level
18)
> > and I'm hooked :)
> >
> > This game is sooooo big I have only just scratched the surface, even
though
> > I've been playing for so long. I have a few little questions.
> >
> > Last night I went to the Sixth house base near Gnar Mok, I killed
Dargoth
> > who had a message from me from the other (bigger) Dargoth saying I
needed to
> > join him (not!). Anyways, he gave me Corprus disease. I notice that
the
> > effects are that it reduces some of my stats by 1 point. Now is this 1
> > point period or does it mean 1 point less every day or something?
> >
> > I dont really want to do much more of the main quest yet so I'd like to
know
> > whether I should reload before getting Corprus or can I continue with
side
> > quests for a while (long while cause there are heaps!) without dying of
> > Corprus?
> >
> > Cheers Dre
> >

> You will have some trouble interacting with people while you are
> diseased. Your contact in Balmora will tell you how to get cured.
> After this short side trip you can continue with other things as long as
> you want.

Hehehe, I noticed everyone wanting me to go FAR AWAY all the time :)  Pretty
funny.

If its only a short side trip, then ok, I'll go get cured. I have read a
lot of posts in this forum previously (but trying not to read too far into
the game) and somehow thought that I could only get cured much further into
the game.

Thanks for letting me know!

Cheers Dre
September 17, 2004 5:03:32 PM

"Rick Cavalla" <rac22@erols.com> wrote in message
> "Dre" wrote:
> > I dont really want to do much more of the main quest yet so I'd like to
> > know whether I should reload before getting Corprus or can I continue
> > with side quests for a while (long while cause there are heaps!) without
> > dying of Corprus?
>
> I am not sure if Corprus will kill you eventually. However, it will be
> difficult to complete many Guild and House quests while you have Corprus,
> because people will not want to talk with you. You are probably best off
> either going back to Caius, and concentrating on the Main Quest for a
little
> bit, or going back to a pre-Gnaar Mok savegame. Note that you still have
> quite a ways to go with the Main Quest, so you will have plenty of time to
> complete side quests in the future, even if you do some more of the Main
> Quest right now.
>
> --
> Rick Cavalla
> rac22@NO.erols.SPAM.com
> ==========================
> "Beyond me, night is total / And through the colonnades I walk..."

Ok, I think I'll persist with it a little bit more and go and get cured.
Then go crazy with side quests :)

Great to hear that I still have a fair way to go, but DAMN, this game is
massive! I've allready done heaps (well what I thought was heaps) of quests
so far, but like I say, everytime I play this game I find something new!

Oh, one other thing. I dont think its possible, but I'm a member of house
Hlaalu (spelling?), am I able to join house Reorden (spelling again? :)  as
well?

Thanks for the info

Cheers Dre
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 5:03:33 PM

Dre wrote:

> Oh, one other thing. I dont think its possible, but I'm a member of house
> Hlaalu (spelling?), am I able to join house Reorden (spelling again? :)  as
> well?

No, you can only join one great house at a time, because they all
compete with each other.

BTW, after you get corprus, and until you complete the main quest, sixth
house assassins will try to attack you when you sleep. Got to bed with
your weapon enabled.
September 17, 2004 6:48:03 PM

"ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> Dre wrote:
>
> > Oh, one other thing. I dont think its possible, but I'm a member of
house
> > Hlaalu (spelling?), am I able to join house Reorden (spelling again? :)
as
> > well?
>
> No, you can only join one great house at a time, because they all
> compete with each other.

Damn, but thats what I thought. I've actually released the slaves at the
Ebony mines near Caldera. When I released the 2nd one I got a message
saying that this would slow the mine down and looking into my Journal, there
is a quest for house Reoraden. I obviously cannot complete this quest
right?

> BTW, after you get corprus, and until you complete the main quest, sixth
> house assassins will try to attack you when you sleep. Got to bed with
> your weapon enabled.

Oh good, more stuff to slow me down when I'm on a big trek out woop woop and
low on health :)  It sometimes takes me AGES to get back to civilisation
when in the middle of nowhere. But since reading the manual (only 50 odd
days into the game too) I found the mark and recall spells. Sweet, mark
here, cast divine intervention, sell my stuff and recall back to get more :)

Cheers Dre
September 17, 2004 6:50:02 PM

"FTA" <FTA@fake.email> wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:45:56 +1000, with the help of 10,000 Little
> Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Dre" <ausjules1977@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all, I've been playing Morrowind for a while now (Char is at level 18)
> >and I'm hooked :)
> >
> >This game is sooooo big I have only just scratched the surface, even
though
> >I've been playing for so long. I have a few little questions.
> >
> >Last night I went to the Sixth house base near Gnar Mok, I killed Dargoth
> >who had a message from me from the other (bigger) Dargoth saying I needed
> >join him (not!). Anyways, he gave me Corprus disease. I notice that the
> >effects are that it reduces some of my stats by 1 point. Now is this 1
> >point period or does it mean 1 point less every day or something?
> >
> >I dont really want to do much more of the main quest yet so I'd like to
know
> >whether I should reload before getting Corprus or can I continue with
side
> >quests for a while (long while cause there are heaps!) without dying of
> >Corprus?
> >
> >Cheers Dre
> >
> Having Corpus can be a good thing if you wait awhile before seeking a
> cure! EVERY Game Day your character has Corpus, your character's
> Strength AND Endurance goes up one PERMANENT point! Granted a couple of
> attributes decrease one point each day, however they can be restored to
> normal with spells, potions, or by visiting a Temple...
>
> If you'd like having Super Strength and Endurance AFTER getting cured of
> Corpus, keep resting 24 hours at a time until your character's strength
> and endurance get really high (like to maybe 300 each), then get cured.
> To keep from getting REALLY Stupid while waiting for your strength and
> endurance to get high enough, it's a good idea to restore your lowered
> attributes every dozen of so game days...
>
> Once you do get cured of Corpus, your new High Strength and Endurance
> levels will be Permanent, though keep in mind that they can still be
> Permanently lowered by spells or curses (they can't be later restored to
> anything higher than 100)... ^_^
>

> That's my 2¢,
>
> FTA
>

> "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the
silence of our friends."

> -Martin Luther King Jr.

Good info! But how do I restore the attributes with potions etc??? Surely
potions and temple blessings wear off after a while thus reducing my stats
back down to their reduced amount?

Cheers Dre
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 6:50:03 PM

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:50:02 +1000, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Dre" <ausjules1977@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"FTA" <FTA@fake.email> wrote in message

>> Having Corpus can be a good thing if you wait awhile before seeking a
>> cure! EVERY Game Day your character has Corpus, your character's
>> Strength AND Endurance goes up one PERMANENT point! Granted a couple of
>> attributes decrease one point each day, however they can be restored to
>> normal with spells, potions, or by visiting a Temple...
>>
>> If you'd like having Super Strength and Endurance AFTER getting cured of
>> Corpus, keep resting 24 hours at a time until your character's strength
>> and endurance get really high (like to maybe 300 each), then get cured.
>> To keep from getting REALLY Stupid while waiting for your strength and
>> endurance to get high enough, it's a good idea to restore your lowered
>> attributes every dozen of so game days...
>>
>> Once you do get cured of Corpus, your new High Strength and Endurance
>> levels will be Permanent, though keep in mind that they can still be
>> Permanently lowered by spells or curses (they can't be later restored to
>> anything higher than 100)... ^_^
>>

>Good info! But how do I restore the attributes with potions etc??? Surely
>potions and temple blessings wear off after a while thus reducing my stats
>back down to their reduced amount?
>
>Cheers Dre

When any of your character's stats are lowered because of your character
having Corpus (or some other disease that lowers stats), the stats
(Intelligence + another I can't remember) can be restored back to normal
with the proper restore spell/potion, or at a temple shrine that
restores attributes... Once the lowered attributes are restored
(improved stats are NOT lowered), they will NOT go any lower After the
spell/potion/blessing wears off, Unless your character is Still being
affected by a Lowering spell/curse/disease. So every dozen game days or
so, restore your character's lowered attributes back to normal since a
character with an Intelligence of 1 can't cast spells or make more
potions. Then when you think that your character's Strength and
Endurance are high enough, restore your character's lowered stats one
last time before he/she gets cured of Corpus. Once your character is
cured of Corpus, your character's new Strength and Endurance bonuses
from Corpus, will NOT be reduced, UNLESS they are later reduced by a
Spell or Curse!

So it's possible for your character to have a Strength of 300 or higher
After your character is cured of Corpus, and later encounter a
Bonewalker who Curses your character, Permanently lowering his/her
strength to maybe 290 or lower! :(  Granted your character's magic
resistance determines how likely your character is to be affected by a
curse or damage type spell, so the higher you can get your characters
magic resistance, the better off your character will be. On the plus
side, for a good enough thief there is a piece of Armor locked away at
Tel Fyr (where your character gets cured of Corpus) that will give its
wearer a magic resistance of 60 percent PLUS any other magic resistance
your character might already have (a Breton has a 50% magic resistance)
and/or from other sources (resist magic items). So a Breton wearing the
magical armor stolen from Tel Fyr, would have a Minimum total magic
resistance of 110 percent, which would mean that they would have little
to fear from damage type spells or curses. ^_^

Good Luck!

"Dre" wrote:
> Good info! But how do I restore the attributes with potions etc???
> Surely potions and temple blessings wear off after a while thus
> reducing my stats back down to their reduced amount?

In short, no. The "Almsivi Restoration" and "Restore Attributes" options
will permanently restore any damaged attributes (ones in red) back to their
normal values. At least until someone or something damages them again.

Now, the long explanation:
For the Restoration school of magic, any potions, spells, enchantments,
etc., with a *Fortify* effect will wear off in time. Any potions, spells,
enchantments, etc., with a *Restore* effect are permanent. Health is
probably the stat you are most used to dealing so, for example, let's say
you have 100 maximum hit points, but have taken some damage and are down to
75 hit points. If you Fortify your health by 50 points, it will go up to
125 temporarily. When the spell or potion wears off, it drops back to 75.
If you Restore 50 points of health, your health will return to 100 and stay
at 100 even after the spell or potion ends. Fortify effects can take you
above your normal maximum, but are only temporary. Restore effects will not
go above your normal maximum, but are permanent. Your 8 attributes
(Strength, Luck, etc.) act the same way.

Also, for the Destruction school of magic, any potions, spells,
enchantments, etc., with a *Drain* effect will wear off in time. Any
potions, spells, enchantments, etc., with a *Damage* effect are permanent.
Bonelords like to use Drain effects to weaken you, but the effects disappear
quickly after you stop fighting them. Greater Bonewalkers like to use
Damage effects, particularly Damage Strength. Those effects are permanent
until you drink a Restore Strength potion, cast a Restore Strength spell, or
visit a shrine or altar and take the Almsivi Restoration or Restore
Attributes option.

There are three exceptions to the above, where Drain or Fortify effects can
be permanent, or at least require you to take steps to end them, rather than
simply going away in time: Abilities, Diseases, and Constant Effect
enchantments. Abilities are stat boosts associated with your birthsign or
race that are always in effect. For example, the birthsign of The Lady
fortifies your Personality and Endurance both by 25. Diseases are permanent
until you get them cured. Constant Effect enchantments are permanent until
you take off the enchanted item.

In the case of Corprus, the cure only gets rid of the bad effects. I had
not thought of taking advantage of this to allow my Strength and Endurance
to shoot sky high before getting cured. I must warn you, though, that
letting your Strength and Endurance go so high will make the game very easy.
The high Strength will let you kill just about anything in one strike, while
the high Endurance will make you regain tons of health when you sleep. I
would recommend not doing that, at least not this time through. Morrowind
has enough different guilds and religions and Great Houses to make it fun to
play through 2 or 3 times. On your 2nd or 3rd time through, you might want
to give it a shot with Strength and Endurance of 300, but for your first run
through the game, try to play as close as possible to what the creators of
the game expected, and to what a character might really do. If you
contracted a horrible disease, wouldn't you try to find a cure as soon as
possible? I think you'll enjoy your first time through the game more if you
try to get into the story, and play in a way that makes sense for your
character, rather than trying to max out your stats, or trying to join every
guild and faction, or trying to complete every side quest.

--
Rick Cavalla
rac22@NO.erols.SPAM.com
"Beyond me, night is total / And through the colonnades I walk..."
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 6:50:04 PM

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 02:24:45 -0400, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Rick Cavalla" <rac22@erols.com> wrote:

>In the case of Corprus, the cure only gets rid of the bad effects. I had
>not thought of taking advantage of this to allow my Strength and Endurance
>to shoot sky high before getting cured. I must warn you, though, that
>letting your Strength and Endurance go so high will make the game very easy.
>The high Strength will let you kill just about anything in one strike, while
>the high Endurance will make you regain tons of health when you sleep. I
>would recommend not doing that, at least not this time through. Morrowind
>has enough different guilds and religions and Great Houses to make it fun to
>play through 2 or 3 times. On your 2nd or 3rd time through, you might want
>to give it a shot with Strength and Endurance of 300, but for your first run
>through the game, try to play as close as possible to what the creators of
>the game expected, and to what a character might really do. If you
>contracted a horrible disease, wouldn't you try to find a cure as soon as
>possible? I think you'll enjoy your first time through the game more if you
>try to get into the story, and play in a way that makes sense for your
>character, rather than trying to max out your stats, or trying to join every
>guild and faction, or trying to complete every side quest.

Good Point! ^_^ I've played and retired so many characters since buying
Morrowind that I now take a lot of shortcuts that never occured to me
the first several of times I played it... As for first time players, I
agree that they will most likely have a lot more fun following JUST the
clues in the game, AND If they avoid this newsgroup as well as any clue
books or web sites containing cheats or game walkthroughs. Granted, if
someone gets seriously stuck (which is actually fairly hard to do in
this game), then they should definitely seek help someplace like maybe
in this newsgroup...

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.
September 17, 2004 8:09:10 PM

> [...]
> curse or damage type spell, so the higher you can get your characters
> magic resistance, the better off your character will be. On the plus
> side, for a good enough thief there is a piece of Armor locked away at
> Tel Fyr (where your character gets cured of Corpus) that will give its
> wearer a magic resistance of 60 percent PLUS any other magic resistance
> your character might already have (a Breton has a 50% magic resistance)
> and/or from other sources (resist magic items). So a Breton wearing the
> magical armor stolen from Tel Fyr, would have a Minimum total magic
> resistance of 110 percent, which would mean that they would have little
> to fear from damage type spells or curses. ^_^
>
> Good Luck!
>

> That's my 2¢,
>
> FTA
>

> "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the

Excellent! I cant wait to get home now so I can get back into it :)

Thanks heaps for the info!

Cheers Dre
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 8:09:11 PM

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:09:10 +1000, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Dre" <ausjules1977@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"FTA" <FTA@fake.email> wrote in message
>>
>> When any of your character's stats are lowered because of your character
>> having Corpus (or some other disease that lowers stats), the stats
>> (Intelligence + another I can't remember) can be restored back to normal
>> with the proper restore spell/potion, or at a temple shrine that
>> restores attributes... Once the lowered attributes are restored
>> (improved stats are NOT lowered), they will NOT go any lower After the
>> spell/potion/blessing wears off, Unless your character is Still being
>> affected by a Lowering spell/curse/disease. So every dozen game days or
>> so, restore your character's lowered attributes back to normal since a
>> character with an Intelligence of 1 can't cast spells or make more
>> potions. Then when you think that your character's Strength and
>> Endurance are high enough, restore your character's lowered stats one
>> last time before he/she gets cured of Corpus. Once your character is
>> cured of Corpus, your character's new Strength and Endurance bonuses
>> from Corpus, will NOT be reduced, UNLESS they are later reduced by a
>> Spell or Curse!
>>
>> So it's possible for your character to have a Strength of 300 or higher
>> After your character is cured of Corpus, and later encounter a
>> Bonewalker who Curses your character, Permanently lowering his/her
>> strength to maybe 290 or lower! :(  Granted your character's magic
>> resistance determines how likely your character is to be affected by a
>> curse or damage type spell, so the higher you can get your characters
>> magic resistance, the better off your character will be. On the plus
>> side, for a good enough thief there is a piece of Armor locked away at
>> Tel Fyr (where your character gets cured of Corpus) that will give its
>> wearer a magic resistance of 60 percent PLUS any other magic resistance
>> your character might already have (a Breton has a 50% magic resistance)
>> and/or from other sources (resist magic items). So a Breton wearing the
>> magical armor stolen from Tel Fyr, would have a Minimum total magic
>> resistance of 110 percent, which would mean that they would have little
>> to fear from damage type spells or curses. ^_^
>>
>> FTA
>>

>Excellent! I cant wait to get home now so I can get back into it :)
>
>Thanks heaps for the info!
>
>Cheers Dre

No problem, have Fun! ^_^

Keep in mind that while some side quests may be harder if your character
has Corpus or any other disease, you should be able to go
exploring/looting with few problems since he/she will get stronger and
tougher every game day! Also since your character will need to wait
quite a few game days for him/her to get really strong and tough, you
can take advantage of the wait by selling surplus expensive stuff to
Creeper (if you don't have a Creeper money mod, or if you have an XBox)
for all of his gold plus some of the stuff in his inventory...

I suspect that if you're like me, you'll quickly decide to mainly keep
resting for 24 game hours at a time (near Creeper if you've got stuff to
sell) to get your character's strength and endurance to a high level
faster. Also it's up to you, however IF you go for a Strength and
Endurance much Higher than 200 or 300, you risk unbalancing the game too
much, making it Way Too Easy! :(

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.
September 20, 2004 1:43:21 PM

"FTA" <FTA@fake.email> wrote in message
news:p v0lk01u9ujg7s70kdaqctju3u0hif9crj@4ax.com...
> [...]
> tougher every game day! Also since your character will need to wait
> quite a few game days for him/her to get really strong and tough, you
> can take advantage of the wait by selling surplus expensive stuff to
> Creeper (if you don't have a Creeper money mod, or if you have an XBox)
> for all of his gold plus some of the stuff in his inventory...
>
> I suspect that if you're like me, you'll quickly decide to mainly keep
> resting for 24 game hours at a time (near Creeper if you've got stuff to
> sell) to get your character's strength and endurance to a high level
> faster. Also it's up to you, however IF you go for a Strength and
> Endurance much Higher than 200 or 300, you risk unbalancing the game too
> much, making it Way Too Easy! :(
>

> That's my 2¢,
>
> FTA
>

> "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the

Well I'm cured :)  I didn't want to wait too long at all, so I basically
just went and got myself sorted. Have since done quite a few more quests.

Thanks for the info, I now have another million and one questions that need
answering. But I'll keep battling for a whie first :)

Cheers Dre
!