Advice for semiprofessional printer to buy. Pls.

Hi all there,

I would like to buy a semi-professional printer.

Well, I am not sure I can define "semi-professional" what I am
looking for.

My requirements are:
· Good quality colour (not sure about which dpi)
· Separate Colour and Black ink (of course)
· Different paper formats (business cards, envelopes to A4, possibly
A3)
· Software driver able to print "booklet" format (not easy to
find)
· Possibly duplex printing
· Possibly photo printing too

Or is it better to buy a separate printer for photos?

It does not matter so much about print speed (it seems to make so much
a difference in price)

I have been suggested to buying an Epson because, despite other brands,
it is able to print think paper too. (?!?)

Could you please give me a suggestion?

Or

Do you know about a price comparison site/consumer association site
that compares different models?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Fabian
39 answers Last reply
More about advice semiprofessional printer

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > What is the budget? To some semi-professional may mean a business inkjet
    > for a couple of hundred pounds, to others it may mean a networked A3
    > colour laser for a couple of thousand.

    If it is worth it, I can think to spend 2000 GBP, yes.

    Thanks.
    Fabian

    > What is the budget? To some semi-professional may mean a business inkjet
    > for a couple of hundred pounds, to others it may mean a networked A3
    > colour laser for a couple of thousand.

    Hi Timothy,

    If it is worth it, I can think to spend 2000 GBP and because of the
    quality, I prefer Colour laser.

    What it is not clear to me is what makes the difference between 200 and
    2000 £. The printing speed? The networking capabilities?

    I don't mind so much about both of these two features.

    Thanks.
    Fabian

    measekite wrote:
    > newspost@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all there,
    > >
    > >I would like to buy a semi-professional printer.
    > >
    > >Well, I am not sure I can define "semi-professional" what I am
    > >looking for.
    > >
    > >My requirements are:
    > >· Good quality colour (not sure about which dpi)
    > >· Separate Colour and Black ink (of course)
    > >· Different paper formats (business cards, envelopes to A4, possibly
    > >A3)
    > >· Software driver able to print "booklet" format (not easy to
    > >find)
    > >· Possibly duplex printing
    > >· Possibly photo printing too
    > >
    > >Or is it better to buy a separate printer for photos?
    > >
    > >It does not matter so much about print speed (it seems to make so much
    > >a difference in price)
    > >
    > >I have been suggested to buying an Epson because, despite other brands,
    > >it is able to print think paper too. (?!?)
    > >
    > >Could you please give me a suggestion?
    > >
    > >Or
    > >
    > >Do you know about a price comparison site/consumer association site
    > >that compares different models?
    > >
    > >Thanks.
    > >
    > >Cheers,
    > >Fabian
    > >

    > If you are more heavily weighted to photo printing I would look at the
    > Canon IP4000. If you intend to do more business document printing go
    > for the IP5000. If you want the wide format look at the Canon i9900 but
    > this printer does not have dual paper feed nor does it print full
    > duplex. It is a pure photo printer but can do a few acceptable business
    > documents.
    **
    The major expense of printers is the consumables. Why do you think HP
    can sell the apollo for $50.00? I have used up a color cartridge
    cleaning the heads on a black cartridge.

    A tech told me, "If a printer does not cost $300.00, it is not worth
    fixing."

    This samsung looks like a good buy.
    http://www.superwarehouse.com/Samsung_CLP-550N/CLP-550N_XAA/p/406185

    Walt R.
    **

    In message <1117015906.019905.148480@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    newspost@hotmail.com writes

    --
    Timothy

    In article <p8O0IyA4oGlCFw8h@town-village.demon.co.uk>,
    me@privacy.net <me@Privacy.Net> wrote:
    >In message <1117015906.019905.148480@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    >newspost@hotmail.com writes
    >>Hi all there,
    >>I would like to buy a semi-professional printer.
    >>Well, I am not sure I can define "semi-professional" what I am
    >>looking for.
    >>
    >>My requirements are:
    >>· Good quality colour (not sure about which dpi)
    >>· Separate Colour and Black ink (of course)
    >>· Different paper formats (business cards, envelopes to A4, possibly
    >>A3)
    >>· Software driver able to print "booklet" format (not easy to
    >>find)
    >>· Possibly duplex printing
    >>· Possibly photo printing too
    >
    >What is the budget? To some semi-professional may mean a business inkjet
    >for a couple of hundred pounds, to others it may mean a networked A3
    >colour laser for a couple of thousand.
    >
    >--
    >Timothy

    The OP asks a single printer to do a lot. In general the more
    "professional" a printer is the fewer bells and whistles it has. IMO
    the OP is looking for features found in a home printer.

    The OP asks for "good quality color" and then also "possibly photo
    printing". Based on what I think he's looking for, any modern inkjet
    printer will be fine for quality. The OP should narrow his choices
    based on paper handling.

    In general, the more expensive the printer the cheaper the cost per
    page for ink.

    "booklet format" is a function of the application software as far as I
    know. Maybe something like this comes with some pronter but I haven't
    seen it. Take a look at "FLipAlbum"
    http://www.flipalbum.com/products/fa/

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    In message <1117024560.891956.63000@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes

    >> What is the budget? To some semi-professional may mean a business inkjet
    >> for a couple of hundred pounds, to others it may mean a networked A3
    >> colour laser for a couple of thousand.
    >
    >If it is worth it, I can think to spend 2000 GBP and because of the
    >quality, I prefer Colour laser.
    >
    >What it is not clear to me is what makes the difference between 200 and
    >2000 £. The printing speed? The networking capabilities?
    >
    >I don't mind so much about both of these two features.

    Generally, the more you pay for the machine the less you pay for
    consumables.

    If you look at the £2/300 colour lasers they will _tend_ to be windows
    printers (the computer does the 'thinking' for it). Typically you need
    to pay extra for duplex, for networking, for postscript. You need to
    pay a lot more for a3 colour laser. Depending how far you want to push
    the budget it may be worth considering a networked colour photocopier
    which will act as both printer and photocopier. Without all those sorts
    of extras at the £2000 mark I would be considering the Kyocera FS-C8008N
    (I think they are currently introducing a newer model) these have low
    running costs and will do A3 as well. There is a photocopier version of
    the same machine KM-C850 which can do as much as you are prepared to pay
    for. Reviews I have read for these machines (or more likely the c5016
    (a4 version) rate it very highly, and the sample prints I was sent were
    quite impressive. Everybody else will produce similar machines at
    similar prices as well, I would guess most notably Xerox.

    If you are looking at spending that much I would suggest you talk to
    someone like printware lnl or theprinterdatabase, I've had consumables
    off all of them and machines from printware.

    Alternatively you may like to look at second hand professional items on
    ebay. For instance
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3296&item=751850
    9030&rd=1 or
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3296&item=751887
    2391&rd=1

    --
    Timothy

    In message <d721qn$ffb$1@panix5.panix.com>, Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com>
    writes

    >The OP asks a single printer to do a lot. In general the more
    >"professional" a printer is the fewer bells and whistles it has. IMO
    >the OP is looking for features found in a home printer.
    >
    >The OP asks for "good quality color" and then also "possibly photo
    >printing". Based on what I think he's looking for, any modern inkjet
    >printer will be fine for quality. The OP should narrow his choices
    >based on paper handling.
    >
    >In general, the more expensive the printer the cheaper the cost per
    >page for ink.

    I think the other question is how much printing is intended? I'm using
    two lasers at the moment at 2-3000 pages a month.

    --
    Timothy

    newspost@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Hi all there,
    >
    >I would like to buy a semi-professional printer.
    >
    >Well, I am not sure I can define "semi-professional" what I am
    >looking for.
    >
    >My requirements are:
    >· Good quality colour (not sure about which dpi)
    >· Separate Colour and Black ink (of course)
    >· Different paper formats (business cards, envelopes to A4, possibly
    >A3)
    >· Software driver able to print "booklet" format (not easy to
    >find)
    >· Possibly duplex printing
    >· Possibly photo printing too
    >
    >Or is it better to buy a separate printer for photos?
    >
    >It does not matter so much about print speed (it seems to make so much
    >a difference in price)
    >
    >I have been suggested to buying an Epson because, despite other brands,
    >it is able to print think paper too. (?!?)
    >
    >Could you please give me a suggestion?
    >
    >Or
    >
    >Do you know about a price comparison site/consumer association site
    >that compares different models?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Fabian

    If you are more heavily weighted to photo printing I would look at the
    Canon IP4000. If you intend to do more business document printing go
    for the IP5000. If you want the wide format look at the Canon i9900 but
    this printer does not have dual paper feed nor does it print full
    duplex. It is a pure photo printer but can do a few acceptable business
    documents.

    Thanks to you all for your feedbacks. Many different nice suggestions.

    Maybe it is better I tell you what I need my printer for.

    For my business, I want/need to print on demand company correspondance
    (invoices, commercial letters) with letterheads, envelopes with Royal
    mail digital stamps, a few hundreds leaflets or brochures or business
    cards when required.

    I would need to be able to print 200/300 sheets each time and also good
    quality a bit thick paper.

    I would also to be able to print booklets (on demand).

    At the beginning, I will not have to print that much but later on
    hopefully, I could need to print 2000/3000 pages per month (guess).

    Cheers,
    Fabian

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > In general, the more expensive the printer the cheaper the cost per
    > page for ink.
    >
    > "booklet format" is a function of the application software as far as I
    > know. Maybe something like this comes with some pronter but I haven't
    > seen it. Take a look at "FLipAlbum"
    > http://www.flipalbum.com/products/fa/

    It can be in the application, however when it is in the printer's
    driver...it is much better. :-) So far I have seen this feature in some
    Canon's.

    If I want to print a booklet, I do not need any alternative to Ms Word:
    the printer's driver does all the formatting.

    Cheers,
    Fabian

    Try looking at the HP series of business inkjets or Color LaserJets. I
    would look at models that have duplex printing and larger input and
    output trays.

    HP seems to have a better line of business printers than the other makers.

    measekite wrote:
    > Try looking at the HP series of business inkjets or Color LaserJets. I
    > would look at models that have duplex printing and larger input and
    > output trays.
    >
    > HP seems to have a better line of business printers than the other makers.

    Hi,

    I snooped the HP website: very very instructive.

    I discovered that starting from a colour laser of barely 300$, I need
    to spend about 1599$ for getting the automatic duplex (and a bit of
    more speed, a bit of higher printing capacity/month, but who cares).
    :-(

    Than, I have also noted that if I want A3 or photo printing, I'd better
    go to another category of printers as the all-in-one printers (as
    someone suggested me).

    So, these huge differences in prices are due not to software, not to
    electronics, but to mechanics. I know that I am probably saying obvious
    things for you...ehi, I'm just learning. :-)

    Thanksa lot.

    Cheers,
    Fabian

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > Business letters, leaflets and brochures will be better done on a laser.
    > A laser need more expensive envelopes (special laser ones otherwise
    > the glue melts when it goes through the printer!)
    > >
    > >I would need to be able to print 200/300 sheets each time and also good
    > >quality a bit thick paper.
    > >
    > >I would also to be able to print booklets (on demand).
    > If you are going to be doing much of this you will probably need
    > automatic duplexing, and possibly a prog like fineprint that will
    > organise the order of page printing for you.

    Fineprint? Ok. I saw a few Canon's that had a "booklet" format directly
    in the (software) drivers. I thought that every brand had its own
    "booklet" printing format, but apparently it is not.

    > This level of printing also is suggesting me that you would be better
    > off with a laser. Doubtless people will now tell us how many millions
    > of pages they print on inkjets every month!

    This is a surprise for me: if I want/plan to print millions of
    pages/months I'd better buy an inkjet?

    I started thinking about a laser because of the better quality of the
    colour. And because colours are more stable, indipendent by weather
    conditions (but, is this correct?).

    And what about particular kinds of papers and thik papers as the ones
    for the greeting cards?

    Thanks.
    Fabian

    wmreinemer@tns.net wrote:

    > The major expense of printers is the consumables. Why do you think HP
    > can sell the apollo for $50.00? I have used up a color cartridge
    > cleaning the heads on a black cartridge.
    >
    > A tech told me, "If a printer does not cost $300.00, it is not worth
    > fixing."
    >
    > This samsung looks like a good buy.
    > http://www.superwarehouse.com/Samsung_CLP-550N/CLP-550N_XAA/p/406185

    Well, comparing to HP prices..it's amazing.

    However, I have never seen Samsung printers in offices. How's the
    quality/reliability?

    Thanks.
    Fabian

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > This page:
    > http://www.theprinterdatabase.com/search/index.ehtml
    > Allows you to play with typing in various options and you can see what
    > suggestions it comes up with.
    >
    > The other thing which has been mentioned in passing is running costs. If
    > you end up doing 3000 pages a month a saving of only 1p per page soon
    > adds up.
    >
    > You may also want to consider various leases at a fixed cost per page
    > type thing.

    Thanks very useful link. Just what I was looking for.

    Cheers
    Fabian

    Hi Fabian,

    I would suggest that you take a look at the new Xerox Phaser 8400DP.
    This is a solid ink printer that can crank out color prints at 24 ppm.
    It has the seperate colors you are looking for, can do duplex, network
    ready, and it can handle thick card stock. It is limited to a maximum
    legal size paper.

    If you are in the US you can get this printer free with free on-site
    service. Your only obligation is to purchase supplies that you would
    need anyway. For more information visit http://www.FreePrinters.com.

    DW

    In message <1117063212.497294.80190@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes
    >Thanks to you all for your feedbacks. Many different nice suggestions.
    >
    >Maybe it is better I tell you what I need my printer for.
    >
    >For my business, I want/need to print on demand company correspondance
    >(invoices, commercial letters) with letterheads, envelopes with Royal
    >mail digital stamps, a few hundreds leaflets or brochures or business
    >cards when required.

    Business letters, leaflets and brochures will be better done on a laser.
    A laser will need more expensive envelopes (special laser ones otherwise
    the glue melts when it goes through the printer!)

    >I would need to be able to print 200/300 sheets each time and also good
    >quality a bit thick paper.
    >
    >I would also to be able to print booklets (on demand).
    If you are going to be doing much of this you will probably need
    automatic duplexing, and possibly a prog like fineprint that will
    organise the order of page printing for you.

    >At the beginning, I will not have to print that much but later on
    >hopefully, I could need to print 2000/3000 pages per month (guess).

    This level of printing is also suggesting to me that you would be better

    In article <1117096899.889088.135560@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >measekite wrote:
    >> Try looking at the HP series of business inkjets or Color LaserJets. I
    >> would look at models that have duplex printing and larger input and
    >> output trays.
    >>
    >> HP seems to have a better line of business printers than the other makers.
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >I snooped the HP website: very very instructive.
    >
    >I discovered that starting from a colour laser of barely 300$, I need
    >to spend about 1599$ for getting the automatic duplex (and a bit of
    >more speed, a bit of higher printing capacity/month, but who cares).
    >:-(
    >
    >Than, I have also noted that if I want A3 or photo printing, I'd better
    >go to another category of printers as the all-in-one printers (as
    >someone suggested me).
    >
    >So, these huge differences in prices are due not to software, not to
    >electronics, but to mechanics. I know that I am probably saying obvious
    >things for you...ehi, I'm just learning. :-)
    >
    >Thanksa lot.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Fabian

    I recommend that you look for the cost of the 3 year service agreement
    and factor that into the purchase price. Worth every penny when the
    printer isn;t acting right a couple years after you buy it.

    --

    In article <1117098459.192383.241710@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >wmreinemer@tns.net wrote:
    >
    >> The major expense of printers is the consumables. Why do you think HP
    >> can sell the apollo for $50.00? I have used up a color cartridge
    >> cleaning the heads on a black cartridge.
    >>
    >> A tech told me, "If a printer does not cost $300.00, it is not worth
    >> fixing."
    >>
    >> This samsung looks like a good buy.
    >> http://www.superwarehouse.com/Samsung_CLP-550N/CLP-550N_XAA/p/406185
    >
    >Well, comparing to HP prices..it's amazing.
    >
    >However, I have never seen Samsung printers in offices. How's the
    >quality/reliability?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >Fabian

    There are some nice small Samsung printers. I've seen a couple in use
    but you have to look to the usage rating on the spec sheet for any
    printer you consider, as pages per month. If you buy a printer that is
    rated below your printing volume you will probably be unhappy with
    your purchase.

    For a business the availablity of an onsite service agreement may be
    important. You don't want to pack and ship a faulty printer. You want
    someone to come in and work on it.

    The cheapest laser printers are considered non-repairable by the
    manufacturer. If yours breaks withing it's warranty period they send
    you a refurb replacemant and the contract says it doesn't have to be
    the same model. This means you'll have to trash any toner carts you
    have, and for a color laser that can be a bunch of bucks.

    The PC Magazine web site has many articles evaluating printers,
    including cost per page figures.

    http://www.pcmag.com/

    --

    In article <1117097750.326399.130540@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >me@privacy.net wrote:
    >>
    >> Business letters, leaflets and brochures will be better done on a laser.
    >> A laser need more expensive envelopes (special laser ones otherwise
    >> the glue melts when it goes through the printer!)
    >> >
    >> >I would need to be able to print 200/300 sheets each time and also good
    >> >quality a bit thick paper.
    >> >
    >> >I would also to be able to print booklets (on demand).
    >> If you are going to be doing much of this you will probably need
    >> automatic duplexing, and possibly a prog like fineprint that will
    >> organise the order of page printing for you.
    >
    >Fineprint? Ok. I saw a few Canon's that had a "booklet" format directly
    >in the (software) drivers. I thought that every brand had its own
    >"booklet" printing format, but apparently it is not.
    >
    >> This level of printing also is suggesting me that you would be better
    >> off with a laser. Doubtless people will now tell us how many millions
    >> of pages they print on inkjets every month!
    >
    >This is a surprise for me: if I want/plan to print millions of
    >pages/months I'd better buy an inkjet?
    >
    >I started thinking about a laser because of the better quality of the
    >colour. And because colours are more stable, indipendent by weather
    >conditions (but, is this correct?).
    >
    >And what about particular kinds of papers and thik papers as the ones
    >for the greeting cards?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >Fabian

    "better color" has to be related to your business requirements. You
    have to decide if you need "photorealistic" printing or not. Laser
    printers can be very good color but they are "business grade" color,
    not photorealistic.

    IMO laser printers handle a narrow range of papers compared to inkjet
    printers.

    Compare your color laser to these high end professional inkjet
    printers: All of these are photorealistsic.

    Epson 4000
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/epson-4000.shtml

    The HP DesignJet series:
    http://h41186.www4.hp.com/printers_multiformat.html?pageseq=3960227

    Epson 2200
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/Epson2200.shtml

    I'm told that the more expensive Epson 4000 will pay for itself after
    printing about 2000 pages due to lower ink costs. In general, the more
    a printer costs the cheaper it will be to use and the more reliable it
    will be.

    --

    In message <1117097750.326399.130540@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes
    >me@privacy.net wrote:
    >
    >Fineprint? Ok. I saw a few Canon's that had a "booklet" format directly
    >in the (software) drivers. I thought that every brand had its own
    >"booklet" printing format, but apparently it is not.
    >
    >> This level of printing also is suggesting me that you would be better
    >> off with a laser. Doubtless people will now tell us how many millions
    >> of pages they print on inkjets every month!
    >
    >This is a surprise for me: if I want/plan to print millions of
    >pages/months I'd better buy an inkjet?

    No! I reckon you need a laser but it wouldn't surprise me if someone on
    here says they manage to print thousands of pages a month with an
    inkjet, personally I would find that excruciating.

    >I started thinking about a laser because of the better quality of the
    >colour. And because colours are more stable, indipendent by weather
    >conditions (but, is this correct?).

    If you are wanting to print lots of photos on quasi photographic paper
    then you probably want an inkjet. If you want to print a batch of a few
    hundred leaflets/flyers then you want a laser.

    As you move into the professional end of the lasers they change from
    halftone dithering to contone and have a much wider gamut - range of
    colours available.

    >And what about particular kinds of papers and thik papers as the ones
    >for the greeting cards?

    In the laser you need to use different glossy paper, I tend to use HP's
    laser soft glossy paper (largely because its fairly cheap and fairly
    available!) there are others around, Xerox has a very nice single sided
    glossy (photographic) paper (a sample came with my Xerox Phaser) but I
    suspect this is rather more expensive, but still cheaper than similar
    options for inkjets. The lasers tend to have a special tray/side entry
    for thick stock/envelopes or various other weird things you may want to
    put through it.

    --
    Timothy

    In message <1117098459.192383.241710@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes

    >wmreinemer@tns.net wrote:
    >
    >> The major expense of printers is the consumables. Why do you think HP
    >> can sell the apollo for $50.00? I have used up a color cartridge
    >> cleaning the heads on a black cartridge.
    >>
    >> A tech told me, "If a printer does not cost $300.00, it is not worth
    >> fixing."
    >>
    >> This samsung looks like a good buy.
    >> http://www.superwarehouse.com/Samsung_CLP-550N/CLP-550N_XAA/p/406185
    >
    >Well, comparing to HP prices..it's amazing.
    >
    >However, I have never seen Samsung printers in offices. How's the
    >quality/reliability?

    I think you will find the Samsung looks remarkably like the Xerox
    http://www.theprinterdatabase.com/profiles/by-id/6322/

    There is also something else that needs to be said about the low end
    machines: WORK OUT THE RUNNING COSTS

    If you search the reviews the cost of an a4 colour page from this
    machine is about 10p more than the Kyocera fs-c5016 if you end up at
    3000 pages pre month, thats quite a difference.

    --
    Timothy

    :-) I do not live in Us anyhow.

    measekite wrote:
    > This is a spamming hawker.
    >
    > Free Printer Guy wrote:
  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    This is a spamming hawker.

    Free Printer Guy wrote:

    >Hi Fabian,
    >

    >I would suggest that you take a look at the new Xerox Phaser 8400DP.
    >This is a solid ink printer that can crank out color prints at 24 ppm.
    >It has the seperate colors you are looking for, can do duplex, network
    >ready, and it can handle thick card stock. It is limited to a maximum
    >legal size paper.
    >
    >If you are in the US you can get this printer free with free on-site
    >service. Your only obligation is to purchase supplies that you would
    >need anyway. For more information visit http://www.FreePrinters.com.
    >
    >DW

  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On 25 May 2005 16:20:12 -0700, "Fabian" <newspost@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks to you all for your feedbacks. Many different nice suggestions.
    >
    >Maybe it is better I tell you what I need my printer for.
    >
    >For my business, I want/need to print on demand company correspondance
    >(invoices, commercial letters) with letterheads, envelopes with Royal
    >mail digital stamps, a few hundreds leaflets or brochures or business
    >cards when required.
    >
    >I would need to be able to print 200/300 sheets each time and also good
    >quality a bit thick paper.
    >
    >I would also to be able to print booklets (on demand).
    >
    >At the beginning, I will not have to print that much but later on
    >hopefully, I could need to print 2000/3000 pages per month (guess).

    What you describe is almost exactly the uses to which a laser is put.
    Look at the Kyocera ones, they have the lowest TCO and they're better
    for the planet <g>

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 10:31:59 +0100, "me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net>
    wrote:

    >In message <1117097750.326399.130540@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    >Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes
    >>me@privacy.net wrote:
    >>
    >>Fineprint? Ok. I saw a few Canon's that had a "booklet" format directly
    >>in the (software) drivers. I thought that every brand had its own
    >>"booklet" printing format, but apparently it is not.
    >>
    >>> This level of printing also is suggesting me that you would be better
    >>> off with a laser. Doubtless people will now tell us how many millions
    >>> of pages they print on inkjets every month!
    >>
    >>This is a surprise for me: if I want/plan to print millions of
    >>pages/months I'd better buy an inkjet?
    >
    >No! I reckon you need a laser but it wouldn't surprise me if someone on
    >here says they manage to print thousands of pages a month with an
    >inkjet, personally I would find that excruciating.

    Life's too short to wait for an inkjet to print thousands of pages ;-)

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    In message <c7mc91l91qf2kha8aavd7hals9uu65d51p@4ax.com>, Hecate
    <hecate@newsguy.com> writes

    >What you describe is almost exactly the uses to which a laser is put.
    >Look at the Kyocera ones, they have the lowest TCO and they're better
    >for the planet <g>

    Well, two of us have suggested Kyocera now.

    www.kyoceraprintershop.com has a refurbed fs-c8008n (or fs-8008cn I
    think they have called it) for about £1,000. (A3 version).

    Contact them for a brochure and sample print out.

    --
    Timothy
  29. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Hi all there,

    I really got lots of feedback over here.

    After consideration, I am reviewing everything and I am afraid I need
    to buy 2 printers both cheaper of what I was keen to spend.
    An inkjet for all the photo/greeting cards/graphics work
    I was thinking to a I9900 or a Epson stylus Photo R1800 so I can
    benefit of the A3 format too. (the best in http://www.pcmag.com)
    Unfortunately the magazine does not give indication of the TCO nor
    price per page)

    Then for other type of jobs (leaflets/brochures/booklets), I can buy a
    Colour laser. Maybe later on when I get orders.

    What I have also not found good paper suppliers in Uk. Can you
    recommend anyone? By having a paper supplier, I can also have a better
    idea of which printer I need to buy.

    And what about the business cards format?
    I was told that I need to use an A4 sheet precut to print business card
    formats. Do these give professional results?
    Are there other options? I have really not seen any printer enabled to
    enter business card sheets into the rolls...

    Cheers,
    Fabian

    newspost@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all there,
    >
    > I would like to buy a semi-professional printer.
    >
    > Well, I am not sure I can define "semi-professional" what I am
    > looking for.
    >
    > My requirements are:
    > · Good quality colour (not sure about which dpi)
    > · Separate Colour and Black ink (of course)
    > · Different paper formats (business cards, envelopes to A4, possibly
    > A3)
    > · Software driver able to print "booklet" format (not easy to
    > find)
    > · Possibly duplex printing
    > · Possibly photo printing too
    >
    > Or is it better to buy a separate printer for photos?
    >
    > It does not matter so much about print speed (it seems to make so much
    > a difference in price)
    >
    > I have been suggested to buying an Epson because, despite other brands,
    > it is able to print think paper too. (?!?)
    >
    > Could you please give me a suggestion?
    >
    > Or
    >
    > Do you know about a price comparison site/consumer association site
    > that compares different models?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Fabian
  30. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > Viking-direct would probably be a good place to start.

    I have contacted them and they sent me their catalog, but I have heard
    of suppliers that send a sample of each type of paper the have
    (coloured, glossy, matt, papyrus, special, etc). Are also Viking the
    cheapest? I find them quite expensive.

    > >And what about the business cards format?
    > >I was told that I need to use an A4 sheet precut to print business card
    > >formats. Do these give professional results?
    >
    > People like avery produce the precut business card sheets. I _think_
    > the print shops will print on card and then use a professional
    > guillotine to cut them.
    >
    > Do we take it then that you are looking at opening a printing shop?

    No :-) printers I aim to buy are that professional?

    I believe I should have been a bit more expert if I wanted to have a
    printing business.

    it is an online business. The printing is even not the core business,
    however, if requested, I need to be able to print correspondance (data
    and headend) and post ot and/or list of addresses onto envelopes from a
    db, excel, txt file.

    Then I see how far it goes with the printing requests.

    Cheers,
    Fabian
  31. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In message <1117536549.963927.213160@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes
    >Hi all there,
    >
    >What I have also not found good paper suppliers in Uk. Can you
    >recommend anyone? By having a paper supplier, I can also have a better
    >idea of which printer I need to buy.

    Viking-direct would probably be a good place to start.

    >And what about the business cards format?
    >I was told that I need to use an A4 sheet precut to print business card
    >formats. Do these give professional results?

    People like avery produce the precut business card sheets. I _think_
    the print shops will print on card and then use a professional
    guillotine to cut them.

    Do we take it then that you are looking at opening a printing shop?

    --
    Timothy
  32. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In message <1117539900.395213.199450@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes
    >me@privacy.net wrote:
    >> Viking-direct would probably be a good place to start.
    >
    >I have contacted them and they sent me their catalog, but I have heard
    >of suppliers that send a sample of each type of paper the have
    >(coloured, glossy, matt, papyrus, special, etc). Are also Viking the
    >cheapest? I find them quite expensive.

    With Viking you need to look at all their catalogues to find what you
    want at their cheapest price. If you find them expensive who are you
    finding cheaper?

    >No :-) printers I aim to buy are that professional?
    No!

    >I believe I should have been a bit more expert if I wanted to have a
    >printing business.

    Thats what I was going to say, if you had said yes, it was just that was
    what I thought was being implied by the suggestions of printing cards
    and brochures when orders start to come in.

    --
    Timothy
  33. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On 31 May 2005 04:45:00 -0700, "Fabian" <newspost@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >me@privacy.net wrote:
    >> Viking-direct would probably be a good place to start.
    >
    >I have contacted them and they sent me their catalog, but I have heard
    >of suppliers that send a sample of each type of paper the have
    >(coloured, glossy, matt, papyrus, special, etc). Are also Viking the
    >cheapest? I find them quite expensive.

    I've bought from Viking sometimes, but not for inkjet paper other
    than for standard text printing.

    For the type of printing you mention the best places to go are, for
    example, MX2 (www.mx2.co.uk) On-Line Paper (www.on-linepaper.co.uk)
    Papermill Direct (www.papermilldirect.co.uk).

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > With Viking you need to look at all their catalogues to find what you
    > want at their cheapest price. If you find them expensive who are you
    > finding cheaper?

    Sorry it was Neat-idea. Actually I have not compared prices yet.

    > Thats what I was going to say, if you had said yes, it was just that was
    > what I thought was being implied by the suggestions of printing cards
    > and brochures when orders start to come in.

    Well, as my mentor suggested me, I start very low key and I go where
    the market goes...

    Fabian
  35. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In message <1117654424.630610.315330@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes
    >me@privacy.net wrote:
    >
    >> With Viking you need to look at all their catalogues to find what you
    >> want at their cheapest price. If you find them expensive who are you
    >> finding cheaper?
    >Sorry it was Neat-idea. Actually I have not compared prices yet.

    Sometimes they come up with decent things but then they argue about
    delivery, Viking can manage free delivery to the Isle of Wight, but Neat
    Ideas struggles with that.

    --
    Timothy
  36. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > Sometimes they come up with decent things but then they argue about
    > delivery, Viking can manage free delivery to the Isle of Wight, but Neat
    > Ideas struggles with that.

    Do you live in the Isle of Wight?? or is it just an example?
  37. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In message <1117735465.969234.98490@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes

    >me@privacy.net wrote:
    >>
    >> Sometimes they come up with decent things but then they argue about
    >> delivery, Viking can manage free delivery to the Isle of Wight, but Neat
    >> Ideas struggles with that.
    >
    >Do you live in the Isle of Wight?? or is it just an example?

    Both.

    --
    Timothy
  38. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > Both.

    Curious: I live in Soton. And have u got a prining biz there?

    Fabian
  39. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In message <1117914640.022489.30070@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Fabian <newspost@hotmail.com> writes

    >me@privacy.net wrote:
    >>
    >> Both.
    >
    >Curious: I live in Soton. And have u got a prining biz there?

    No, wightproperty.com so I do a fair bit of printing, most of which
    includes photos.

    --
    Timothy

Printers Photo Peripherals