Which cables do I need?

Ravster

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Hello,

Just got a new internal hard drive, the Seagate Barracuda® ATA100 7200rpm 16MBS.

I'm not too sure on which cables I need to install the drive. I've just bought a new ide ata100 cable, but do I need any other cables?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Hello,

Just got a new internal hard drive, the Seagate Barracuda® ATA100 7200rpm 16MBS.

I'm not too sure on which cables I need to install the drive. I've just bought a new ide ata100 cable, but do I need any other cables?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks.

The ata100 cable you have is the data cable. You also need to find an extra 4-pin molex connector from your power supply, or go get a molex add-on extender so that you can use another existing molex plug, like on your optical drive. You might not even need to use the ata100 cable you bought if your existing HD cable has an unused leg available.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
If you do use an existing cable on an existing HDD, make sure both HDD's are on CS for cable select (your jumper settings, manual should tell you more if you have one), your jumper diagram should be on the HDD.

Ravster

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Ok thanks for the replies!

The hard drive didn't come with any screws or anything, its the OEM product so its just the HardDrive that came, no accessories.

Which model number is it you want?

Fox_granit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Should be the largest one, not the serial #. This way we can tell for sure what kinda harddrive it is.
Since you say that its an ata you should be OK with a regular IDE cable. and everyone else is correct when they say use the jumper on cable select, just to make sure it works properly.

Ravster

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
^Ok thanks!

I've got the hard drive installed, but the computer isn't recognizing the hard drive. When I click on My Computer, the hard drive isn't showing up. The hard drive did not comp with any installation software.

What do I need to do?

EDIT: Nevermind! Did a quick Google search and found out that I have to partition it, assign a path and then format it. Its in the format process right now!

Thanks alot for your help!