Windows 2000 Server SP4 Failure - cmd.exe is open msg

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 2, 2004 11:28:19 AM

Problem Description: I attempted to install SP 4 on a
Windows 2000 server running Windows 2000 server SP 1. I
did the following
1. Deactivated the virus scanner and closed all other
programs except Internet Explorer.
2. Exited the firewall shutting it down but leaving DSL
and the Internet open and active.
3. Went to v4.updatewindows.microsoft.com and chose the
Windows 2000 Server SP 4 selection
4. Completed the download and watched the install begin
5. Selected the archive file option
6. Started the install and 1/8 way through the
installation the progress bar began to flicker and
eventually the message "Cmd.exe is open or in use by
another application" appeared and the installation stopped.
7. Replied "retry" to the dialogue option box, and when
the response did not work I cancelled the installation.

This is the fourth or fifth failed attempt to install a
SP. I also tried to install SP 3 and in all cases the same
thing occurred. The Norton anti-virus package is updated
to yesterday's date and a scan of the computer says there
are no viri within the machine. Using Task Manager to
check the machine after a update failure shows no other
programs are running.

The server is also having problems with the search command
in the start bar and so possibly the only way to update it
to start from scratch. If you have encountered and
conquered this problem, please contact me. To reach me,
take the letters "domainis" out of my email address listed
above and you will have the correct address.

Thanks for your reading this and any help you can give me.
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 12:42:33 PM

On Sun, 2 May 2004 07:28:19 -0700, "Felonise" <fepitch@domainisfrontiernet.net>
wrote:

>Problem Description: I attempted to install SP 4 on a
>Windows 2000 server running Windows 2000 server SP 1. I
>did the following
>1. Deactivated the virus scanner and closed all other
>programs except Internet Explorer.
>2. Exited the firewall shutting it down but leaving DSL
>and the Internet open and active.
>3. Went to v4.updatewindows.microsoft.com and chose the
>Windows 2000 Server SP 4 selection
>4. Completed the download and watched the install begin
>5. Selected the archive file option
>6. Started the install and 1/8 way through the
>installation the progress bar began to flicker and
>eventually the message "Cmd.exe is open or in use by
>another application" appeared and the installation stopped.
>7. Replied "retry" to the dialogue option box, and when
>the response did not work I cancelled the installation.
>
>This is the fourth or fifth failed attempt to install a
>SP. I also tried to install SP 3 and in all cases the same
>thing occurred. The Norton anti-virus package is updated
>to yesterday's date and a scan of the computer says there
>are no viri within the machine. Using Task Manager to
>check the machine after a update failure shows no other
>programs are running.
>
>The server is also having problems with the search command
>in the start bar and so possibly the only way to update it
>to start from scratch. If you have encountered and
>conquered this problem, please contact me. To reach me,
>take the letters "domainis" out of my email address listed
>above and you will have the correct address.
>
>Thanks for your reading this and any help you can give me.

Download the complete service pack package.
Disable your antivirus during the install.
shutdown all apps and any 3rd-party services.
Doudle-click the w2KSP4.exe package.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.