OC Conroe and power consumption

nywst

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
Why OC? Pay less to achieve better performance.

Since "The E6300 and E6400 can easily overclock to E6700 and Core 2 Extreme X6800 levels", and price diff between E6400 and E6700 now is around $100. If OC E6400 to E6700 level, how much additional power will be needed? And how much is that in long run? Shouldn't it be more than $100? If so, what's the point for OC?

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
LOL

you would need to run your system into the next couple of milleniums to reach $100 from a simple OC to a processor. Probably so negligable that the extra heat generated would save money in the winter on heating bills.

Seriously though, the Conroe as far as it's performance level has very low power consumption. The extra power if any that will be needed is not a factor.

RichPLS

Champion
:?: Overclocking is fun for some people, and makes you feel good that you were able to get a model or several models better than what you purchased, in some cases you get considerably faster than is currently produced.
What do you not understand :?:

nywst

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
Did I say I am against OC?
Do you read my post CAREFULLY? If not, try harder next time.
I am here to just look for data (if there are any) for additional power consumption through OC. Tell me a reason not to do this.

RichPLS

Champion
Extra power will be minimal if you do not increase voltages. And it depends on how much of a percentage of your processor you consume, overclocked at stock voltage idleing does not consume much more if any than stock plain...