Changin Netbios name on w2k AD Domain

I inherited an AD domain where the Netbios name is different than the DNS name. Is there an easy way to change the netbios name to match the dns name of the domain.

When a user logs in they get an enumeraed list of all available domains (NT 4.0) and also the 1 AD domain. We will be collapsing all other NT domains and moving to the one AD domain soon and want the name displayed in the drop down list diplayed as the DNS name.
1 answer Last reply
More about changin netbios domain

    I don't think you can do that without recreating the domain.

    Have a look here: http://www.petri.co.il/w2k_domain_rename.htm

    You can also make a new domain and try moving the contents across using
    MoveTree (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q238394)

    If this was 2003 Server, it would be easier...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/downloads/domainrename.mspx

    Alternatively, you can just have your users use UPN names (user@domain.com
    .... the domain drop down gets greyed out and there might be a way to hide
    it.)

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

    "I alfaro" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I inherited an AD domain where the Netbios name is different than the DNS
    name. Is there an easy way to change the netbios name to match the dns name
    of the domain.

    > When a user logs in they get an enumeraed list of all available domains
    (NT 4.0) and also the 1 AD domain. We will be collapsing all other NT
    domains and moving to the one AD domain soon and want the name displayed in
    the drop down list diplayed as the DNS name.

Domain DNS Netbios Windows