Sign in with
Your question

RetroUpgrade: Looking for best PCI (not PCI-E) GFX Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2006 2:50:14 PM

Hi i have an old system 4x AGP (Abit KG7-RAID + Asus V7700 Geforce2 Pro) that is still very good but the new games need shaders so they can be played, it is really the only thing i am missing.

Abit KG7-Raid overview

I tried upgrading to a Geforce6600GT but it did not work (loads of artifacts no matter what i did in bios), so i am looking for the best PCI card available since PCI is almoust always compatible, what is most advanced PCI card available?

I don't care if its nvidia or ATI as long as it has good performance and shaders...

TIA
-Dan

P.S: Or if someone has a KG7-Raid card with AGP card that supports shaders what card is it?
July 27, 2006 2:52:57 PM

There are no PCI cards that will do better than a 6600GT or support any of the newest games.
July 27, 2006 3:03:55 PM

Quote:
There are no PCI cards that will do better than a 6600GT or support any of the newest games.

I don't think you got the question... i am not looking for top performance, just for a PCI card that supports shaders, like FX5200, RadeonĀ® 8500, etc... or even a 4x AGP card, i know that 8x AGP cards are supposed to be compatible with 4x but my Geforce 6600GT was not so i would like not to make the same mistake twice (that card was exchanged for a PCI-E and used in another system).
Related resources
July 27, 2006 3:14:12 PM

Go to NewEgg.com. You can get an ATI 9250 or an Nvidia FX5500/FX5200 for a PCI slot. They won't play the new games worth shit though.
July 27, 2006 3:30:49 PM

I don't think you get it. An AGP slot doesn't cause problems, you bought a faulty card. Find another AGP card and use that - maybe another 6600GT. There should be no problems, unless the new card is bad, too.
July 27, 2006 4:10:39 PM

If you give up AGP your performance will be lowered to 25%.

The problem was not caused by your AGP bus, it was likely a bad card to start with. Using the PCI bus will not make it 'safe'.

Get another AGP card. If you're worried about the motherboard, borrow a friend's AGP card and test it first.
July 27, 2006 4:30:58 PM

Quote:
NO the card was not bad it worked just fine in a 8x AGP motherboard, so...

EDIT: found 6200 PCI cards (Directx9 and SM3.0) so i think there are PCI cards that support the latest games ;)  Now in terms of performace that is another thing.

http://www.3dfuzion.com/cards_6200_pci_128.asp
http://www.bfgtech.com/6200_256_PCI.html

It's almost irrelevant because neither of those cards will be able to play any of the current games. They won't meet the minimum requirements, regardless of their DX9 or SM3.0 capabilities. Look at the minimum requirements for F.E.A.R or Oblivion.
July 27, 2006 4:57:45 PM

The card worked just fine, just not on my mobo, I use a AGP card right now, i just can't seem to find a replacment for it, and I never had any problems with PCI cards, so.... I will add PCI card and get dual screen.

About FEAR and Oblivion the card is able to run those games, why would it not be (i did read the requirments)?
July 27, 2006 5:01:20 PM

Because the 6200 series isn't supported. I don't really care, it's your money. Buy them if you want to. It'll probably be better for you to learn the hard way.
July 27, 2006 5:05:48 PM

Hum...

http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_faq.htm

Supported Video Card Chipsets:
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series

FEAR even supports Geforce 4 Ti

So i really don't get what you are saying, how do you know this? Certainly not from information taken from the games websites, is the information incorrect?
July 27, 2006 5:11:19 PM

Go ahead and buy it. The performance will be amazing.
July 27, 2006 5:26:11 PM

Quote:

...not entirely accurate...
July 27, 2006 5:28:20 PM

Quote:

...not entirely accurate...
I wasn't being serious.
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2006 5:40:00 PM

What every body trying to say it not worth even trying to to play the that game on a 6200 card. At best you would have to turn every option down the lowest setting then play at 640x480 resolution. Realy best would be to try another AGP card.

Hell if your that worried if I was you try to find a retail AGP card that you can buy from a store like best buy (I know its costly) then see if works then return the card and buy the same/similar model online.
July 27, 2006 5:49:25 PM

Thanks for the tips, but as i said this is not about performance, this system is mainly for programming, i need to get a card that supports shaders so i can program shaders, I have a different system for playing games (6600GT PCI-E is is OK).

I will try and find a cheap AGP card that works with my mobo perhaps an ATI card that supports directx9 and shader model 3... but since i can buy the 6200 PCI card for about $50, and usually PCI cards are very reliable it might not be a bad purchase ;) 

I thought that such a PCI card did not exist, it looks like it does exist no matter what performace it has, it is good to know.
July 27, 2006 5:55:27 PM

Not many people read your posts carefully :p  The 6200 is the best PCI card you can get and the 5500 performs right behind it. I have a 5500 in an old PC that I have around just because it is still too good to throw away. You understand that it isn't going to play FEAR and Oblivion very well but you are still trying to breath a little life for other games from what I understand. There you have it, I answered your question and did not try to change your mind or flame you for having an older PC around :) 
July 27, 2006 5:58:06 PM

Ah. Well, the 6200 PCI would work well. I hear there's also X1300 PCIs out there.
July 27, 2006 6:01:54 PM

A+, just answered the Q didnt fight him, i was wondering when someone was going to. kept reading i was like wtf he didnt ask that or that or ... you get my point.
July 27, 2006 6:18:59 PM

There are alot of people who come here asking questions and don't understand what they actually need.

Making sure it fit his needs is more important than giving a quick answer, even if it's strictly 'right'... if he was planning to game, a 6200 PCI would be the right answer, and the most horrible card he could buy, all at the same time...

So excuse us for trying to be helpful. :roll:
July 27, 2006 6:29:16 PM

And to help you out a little further, don't buy the 6200 PCI card from a retailer, get it on Ebay for $50. There's always a few out there on Ebay being sold by the same person. It's the best price out there for a "nice" pci graphics card.

Really though, an AGP Radeon 9800 Pro or something like that would cost about the same amount of money on Ebay, and offer much better performance. You can even pick up an All In Wonder for that price. Surely an AGP card can work in your system, you may just have to do a little digging to find out what's compatible.
July 27, 2006 6:41:41 PM

I will try and find a AGP card for the same price that performes better (not necessary but would be nice), the problem has been to find a AGP card that will be compatible with the KG7 4x AGP

I am going to try ATI cards since i had no luck with nvidia cards, if i still have problem then i will buy the PCI card, because i am pretty sure that i will have no trouble with a PCI card, even though performance will be worse, i will still be able to program shaders.

About the people that tried to help, well feeding me wrong information did not help much first there was no PCI card that supported directx 9 and SM3.0 then those cards could not play games (they play them only with bad performance, that is a given on a PCI card)... not very helpful at all, but thanks anyway.

Right now I am looking at innexpensive ATI 9600 Pro card $60, and trying to find an inexpensive 9700 Pro, also found some inexpensive 7300GS $65 but i think i will go with ATI this time and try and find people that have a KG7 setup working with one of these cards.
July 27, 2006 7:36:52 PM

The 9x00 generation of cards do NOT support the newest shader model 3.0... they are shader model 2.0 cards.

For shader model 3.0, you need Geforce 6x00 or 7x00, or Radeon X1000 cards. (X1300, X1600... not X800 or less, which are SM 2.0b)
July 27, 2006 7:46:57 PM

Good point Cleeve.
!