Registry Cleaner for XP?

Is there a recommended registry cleaner for XP?
Are free ones any good?
Dick

I would not recommend a free, unsupported registry cleaner
for Windows XP. There is no need for one. However, the
registry cleaner/optimizer utility found in System Mechanic
(www.iolo.com) is a good one. Remember to backup your
current registry before performing any changes.

If you try and use a free, unsupported registry cleaner, you'll likely
revisit this newsgroup in the future and ask the proverbial question:
"Suddenly, Windows XP no longer....... (you'll fill in the blank).

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Dick M." wrote:

| Is there a recommended registry cleaner for XP?
| Are free ones any good?
| Dick

Symantec ships one in Norton System Works. Another, inexpensive, one which
I like is Registry First Aid.

In news:%23IAFApHrEHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Dick M. <webmiles@coxREMOVE.net> typed:

> Is there a recommended registry cleaner for XP?
> Are free ones any good?

In my view, all of these things are dangerous and are more likely
to do harm than good. I wouldn't use any of them, free or not.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Unfortunately I disagree with Ken, Will and Carey. While XP does a much
better job at handling the registry than previous OS's it to can become
bloated with useless entries left over from adding and removing programs.
These can sometimes cause issues when trying to install software. I have had
XP Home Edition since it's release over 3 years ago and have always used JV16
power tools. The registry cleaner in here is effective and effecient and has
never caused any problems for me or the system in all the years and thousands
of application installs, tests, and removals. JV16 is now an application that
you have to purchase but there are some sites that carry the older free
versions for download. While I do know of system that have been rendered
useless by some of the utilities in Norton System Works, like the disk
doctor, I have never known of anyone with problems linked to JV16 power tools
and the RegClean v4.3 based on JV16.

Hi

The XP Registry looks after itself. Using any Registry 'cleaner' can cause
more harm than good and render a PC unbootable. I would suggest that you
let XP manage the Registry.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Dick M." <webmiles@coxREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> Is there a recommended registry cleaner for XP?
> Are free ones any good?
> Dick

Dick, have a look at RegScrubXP on the following site :-

It was recommended a little while ago by someone in this group.

Regards,
Joe Steele

"Dick M." <webmiles@coxREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> Is there a recommended registry cleaner for XP?
> Are free ones any good?
> Dick

Perhaps you mean Regcleaner v4.3?
There is only a v4.1 for Regclean.
Dick

"The Unknown P" wrote:
[...]

johnf

I've been using RegSupreme, (which is an offshoot of JV16) for over 6 months
& wouldn't be without it.

On first installing it, I carefully checked every entry it pulled up & found
they were all legit "destination does not exist" ones, so now just select &
quarantine the lot, leave them for a week or so, then delete the old
quarantined ones.

Until then, I didn't realise that, if, for example, you paste something to
the Desktop, then move it elsewhere - or delete it, a permanent registry
entry is created.
It's not unusual for me to quarantine 50-100 of those types per day. Also,
it's the only totally non-volatile 'cleaner' I've come across to date.

--

johnf