# of Files in a Folder

Hello All,
Does anyone know off hand, what the limit on number of files in a folder
on a w2k server? I thought I heard a number before but might be mistaken.

--
Robert Cohen
A legend in his own mind

Files per volume:
FAT16 = 2^16
FAT32 = 2^32
NTFS = 2^32-1 (that's four billion files)

Files per directory:
FAT16 = 2^16-2 physical directory entries (affected by long filenames)
FAT32 = 2^16-2 physical directory entries (affected by long filenames)
NTFS = No limit

Also these may help.

Limitations of FAT32 File System (Q184006)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q184006

Windows NT File Size and Partition Size Limits (Q93496)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q93496

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Robert Cohen" wrote:
| Hello All,
| Does anyone know off hand, what the limit on number of files in a
folder
| on a w2k server? I thought I heard a number before but might be mistaken.
|
| --
| Robert Cohen
| A legend in his own mind
| --