Mojang Porting Minecraft to Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Since when does the RPi have 4GB+ of RAM so it can run UnoptimizedCraft?

yorgos

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Meh, just do a DirectX or OpenGL one so we don't have to have Java on our PCs.[/citation]
it already uses OpenGL

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
He [citation][nom]yorgos[/nom]it already uses OpenGL[/citation]

Yep, minecraft uses opengl but the thing that makes it run poorly is that is requires java which adds a major performance hit.

Make a native version for windows (the largest userbase of minecraft, then also release a compatibility version (crap java for users on non windows OS) Whiel it would be great to have native support for all OS, that will take too much work to implement and maintain.

apocalypsing

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]He Yep, minecraft uses opengl but the thing that makes it run poorly is that is requires java which adds a major performance hit.Make a native version for windows (the largest userbase of minecraft, then also release a compatibility version (crap java for users on non windows OS) Whiel it would be great to have native support for all OS, that will take too much work to implement and maintain.[/citation]

That's a common myth I'm hearing. Java isn't the reason for poor performance, poor programming practices are. There is still messy code that needs cleaning up, some of which would date back to Minecraft's alpha days I'd imagine, since there are thousands/millions of lines of code in games like this. Notch didn't have the best programming habits while the game was in alpha/beta, presumably because back then the game was in a testing phase, thus optimisation of code would come later. I remember hearing that a lot of code was redone for the full game's release, but there is another scheduled re-coding of the game engine for version 1.5, which is planned for release in January 2013. This engine optimisation will fix the annoying lighting rendering glitches, and increases in performance.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I'm more worried that they are spreading themselves too thin. We already have multiple versions all at different levels of completeness.

Status
Not open for further replies.