Interesting article on Conroe

LordChaos

Distinguished
May 10, 2005
Hi...

Here's an article with benchmarks comparing some Conroe-core chips with various others:

>Lost Circuits Conroe article<

Summary: Intel has a winner in the performance-per-Watt category, and the chip's pretty good in most of the other numbers, too. AMD's Venice-core 2400+ is very close in the power ratio, but the Conroe chip is much faster. Interestingly, in memory-intensive benchmarks AMD still smokes Intel. Now, if these guys could blend technologies we'd have a real screamer.

So... does this mean I could simply remove the P4 from my Asus LGA775 865-chipset motherboard and put a Conroe in its place, thereby keeping my living room cool?

A note: I'm not a CPU partisan. This post is not intended to show off my (minimal) knowledge, nor to start a flame war. Read the article and make up your own mind.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi...

Here's an article with benchmarks comparing some Conroe-core chips with various others:

>Lost Circuits Conroe article<

Summary: Intel has a winner in the performance-per-Watt category, and the chip's pretty good in most of the other numbers, too. AMD's Venice-core 2400+ is very close in the power ratio, but the Conroe chip is much faster. Interestingly, in memory-intensive benchmarks AMD still smokes Intel. Now, if these guys could blend technologies we'd have a real screamer.

So... does this mean I could simply remove the P4 from my Asus LGA775 865-chipset motherboard and put a Conroe in its place, thereby keeping my living room cool?

A note: I'm not a CPU partisan. This post is not intended to show off my (minimal) knowledge, nor to start a flame war. Read the article and make up your own mind.
K8 will not smoke Core2Duo at anything. It will win in synthetic Memory benches(SANDRA,Everest) for bandwidth and does win in ScienceMark(doesn't smoke it). Just thought i'd clarify that. :wink:

RichPLS

Champion
No, that 775 board does not support Conroe...

chewbenator

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
No, with that board you will have to buy a new motherboard. Only the most recent 775 chipsets from intel support it. If you are looking on buying one, only buy a motherboard that says Core 2 Duo support in the specifications.