Mobo/CMOS Battery Question

burnselk

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I need some help here.

I was given an older computer that I am trying to get running again. I has this Microstar mobo.....
model MS 6117 ver 1.1 LX6

It was in a Tangent case (home build?) that said "2000 Compliant" on the front. So I don't guess it's THAT old. But it does have a pentium II, with mmx in it (333Mhz).

It's the mobo that has the larger sized cpu turned up on it's edge. What type slot is that? Hey, I'm new at this guys....and learning.

When I received it, the mobo/CMOS battery was gone
. So I need someone to help me decide what type "nickel sized" battery I need for my mobo. I'm assuming I can't get this computer running (at least for long) without this little battery.

Sure would appreciate some help from my friends here. Thanks guys.

By the way, you never hear much about the mobo battery....why is that?

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Take the battery out and go down to Radio Shack or even some drugstores. The battery is not very much and they tend to last about 5 years....longer if you leave the computer running most of the day.

Make sure you clean all the dust out of the PSU and that the fan spins.

burnselk

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Take the battery out and go down to Radio Shack.

Thanks ZOldDude, I'm an old dud too.... but you failed to note in my post that "the battery was missing" when I got the computer.

So, I can't take the battery out.....I don't have the battery to take out.

That's my problem. Now I need to identify what battery this mobo takes.

Can you help me now?

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
99% of mobo backup batteries are CR2032 models (20mm diameter, 3.2mm thickness).

In order to verify this, simply measure the internal diameter of the battery socket: if it's 20mm then you need a CR2032.

threep

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Hey,

Some of those older motherboards also have a connector for an external battery pack, running two AA's. If it does, there would be two pins near the battery socket, and they might be labled. You can go to Radio Shack and get a battery holder with wires and a connector on it. Two AA's = 3V would work.

The computer will run without the battery, but it will not store any changes to the CMOS, or remember the time/date. Every time you turn it on you'd have to change the settings for the rest of the hardware.

8)

burnselk

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
99% of mobo backup batteries are CR2032 models (20mm diameter, 3.2mm thickness). In order to verify this, simply measure the internal diameter of the battery socket: if it's 20mm then you need a CR2032.

That's great information mate.....and I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my post.

I have a suspicion you're right about the size. I'll measure it and let you know just for kicks.....Thanks again.

burnselk

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Some of those older motherboards also have a connector for an external battery pack, running two AA's.

There is no connector for an external battery pack.....just the + anode (or is it cathode) spring that goes on top of the battery to hold it in place and do it's job of being the +anode for the mobo battery.

The computer will run without the battery, but it will not store any changes to the CMOS, or remember the time/date. Every time you turn it on you'd have to change the settings for the rest of the hardware.

Threep....great information....I really appreciate your responding to this part of my post.....I was wondering what the mobo would do without the battery. Thanks mate.[/quote]

burnselk

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
measure the internal diameter of the battery socket: if it's 20mm then you need a CR2032.

maury....it measured 20mm in diameter internally.

So, CR2032 it is!

Thanks a million partner.