Script for Closing files before backup

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I know nothing about scripting and I need to be able to
close all open shared files before I run my backup. It
keeps hanging on a access database that is sometimes left
open. Whats the easiest way to go about this without
programming a script?

From a command prompt;
net pause server
net sess /d /y
'will disconnect all users
'run your backup
net continue server

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"James" wrote:
|I know nothing about scripting and I need to be able to
| close all open shared files before I run my backup. It
| keeps hanging on a access database that is sometimes left
| open. Whats the easiest way to go about this without
| programming a script?

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ok...excuse my igornace...how do i set this up to run
daily? I have never done anything like this before

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"James" wrote:
>|I know nothing about scripting and I need to be able to
>| close all open shared files before I run my backup. It
>| keeps hanging on a access database that is sometimes
left
>| open. Whats the easiest way to go about this without
>| programming a script?
>

>.

Probably easiest to use Task Scheduler to schedule a shell script. Save this
as a *.cmd

---------------------------
net pause server
net sess /d /y
command line to run your backup
net continue server
---------------------------
--

"James" wrote:
| ok...excuse my igornace...how do i set this up to run
| daily? I have never done anything like this before

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am backing up using Veritas Backup Exec. So I want to
omit the Comand line backup. Currently I have
----------------------
net pause server
net sess /d /y
------------------

to Run before the backup. How can I schedule to run the
continue command after veritas has completed the backup?

thanks so much for your help

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"James" wrote:
>| ok...excuse my igornace...how do i set this up to run
>| daily? I have never done anything like this before
>

>.

Unfortunately Task Scheduler will have no way of knowing when the backup is
complete. This link may help.

"James" wrote:
|I am backing up using Veritas Backup Exec. So I want to
| omit the Comand line backup. Currently I have
| ----------------------
| net pause server
| net sess /d /y
| ------------------
|
| to Run before the backup. How can I schedule to run the
| continue command after veritas has completed the backup?
|
| thanks so much for your help

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Can I just use this one line? seeing that noone will be
connecting to the server until after the backup is done?

net sess /d /y

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"James" wrote:
>|I am backing up using Veritas Backup Exec. So I want to
>| omit the Comand line backup. Currently I have
>| net pause server
>| net sess /d /y
>|
>| to Run before the backup. How can I schedule to run the
>| continue command after veritas has completed the backup?
>|
>| thanks so much for your help
>

>.

Yes, if you don't need to worry about users and or processes reconnecting
then that should work fine.