Cannot Delete Folder

October 7, 2004 12:39:39 PM

"Cannot delete (folder name): It is being used by another
person or program. Close any programs that may be using
the file and try again."

So, I did that and it still will not delete. Besides
rebooting (uses up much of my time) anybody know how to
clear this?

More about : delete folder

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 2:30:55 PM

Right click the folder, click Properties > uncheck read only. If that does
not work, open My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View (tab) > scroll
down and uncheck "Simple File Sharing >, go back to the properties of the
folder and click Security > Advanced > Owner (tab) > click your username >
and check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects > click OK > OK.

Andre
"Bill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Cannot delete (folder name): It is being used by another
> person or program. Close any programs that may be using
> the file and try again."
>
> So, I did that and it still will not delete. Besides
> rebooting (uses up much of my time) anybody know how to
> clear this?
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 2:43:03 PM

try booting up in safe mode and deleting it to get to safe mode, at the point
just before windows xp begins to load from the hard drive press f8 a few
times and you wil lget many options you only need the option "safe mode"

"Bill" wrote:

> "Cannot delete (folder name): It is being used by another
> person or program. Close any programs that may be using
> the file and try again."
>
> So, I did that and it still will not delete. Besides
> rebooting (uses up much of my time) anybody know how to
> clear this?

Related resources
August 23, 2008 5:59:40 PM

There are also lots of unlocker progs out there :bounce:

... But when they fail, I often am successful doing the following:

1. create a new folder on the c:\ drive, e.g. "Haunted House" :sol:
2. then simply drag and drop that stubborn file into it...as long as Windows knows its still on the drive, it will leave the file alone
3. leave it there for a couple of days...then sneak up on it...
4. and delete it.

?5. you may have a REALLY stubborn file...

6. assign "Haunted House" as your browser's default Cache folder...
7. let the browser's "Clear Cache" function do the work.

??8. you may have a REALLY, REALLY stubborn file...so throw caution to the wind...enough messing about...

9. find and download NFTS2DOS/Read/Write [not the Read only one] and put it on a floppy :love:  or a CD
10. access the file via DOS [the important part is to get the DOS portal to open and then once that is done, you can work around in there...]
July 13, 2011 3:33:02 PM

i guess the best way to delete a file which is used by another program is to reformat the drive. i had a problem like this, i used the EASUUS program which reformats the pc drive as well as usb, mp3, memory cards etc. from FAT32 to NTFS then back to FAT32 ( or vice versa). it is only the solution as i had tried other ways too. and fortunately this is the one i can recommend. it worked for me reviving my drive, i hope it works to you as well.
July 14, 2011 3:32:23 AM

format the drive is last option, but if we can find other solution not to format the system it's ok, try to scan your whole system it may be infected by a malware or virus..
!