Cyrix beats AMD and intel

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
They were actually the first one to market with a cpu that integrated the gpu and memory controller into the cpu.

Here's a tidbit from circa 1997. MediaGX anyone?

Cyrix MediaGX specs

Lets all hope that if AMD goes in this direction that it works out for them much better than it did for Cyrix.

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
they beat them back in 1997? and this year is 2006 am i wrong?
this my first time even hearing of cyrix.

whats the point of your post?

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
cirix were the worst CPU's made. i remeber using them back in collage and out of all the spare CPU's there the Pentium 1 at 75mHz was faster thean a cyrix 166mhz

Hey, I didn't say they were great, I just said they were first. Admittedly they did suck ballz performancewise.

atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I used a couple of those back in the day. I had a Pentium Pro 150MHz and my friend had a Cyrix 200MHz... needless to say my system flat out wasted his for performance. I'm suprised they tried that whole integration thing though. Good for them. Doesn't look like it helped business wise.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Cyrix is most well known (were that is) for their math co-processors for the 386 series machines (I had a 386SX-25mhz machine with a Cyrix Math CO it was the bomb :)). They actually were the chip to have aside of your 386.

They later released 486 style chips that fluttered. Some really wanted the 486DX2-80mhz processor at the time.

Man I am old :)

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
You can Wiki for Cyrix and 486 and get a rather boring and not entirely accuate history lesson.

Is their a CPU museum?

I would go!

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006

waits for the sound of other old timers thinking about the "good ol' days" where a p166 with a awe32 and a voodoo card was so cutting edge you mgiht just whore your own mother out to get them...

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
waits for the sound of other old timers thinking about the "good ol' days" where a p166 with a awe32 and a voodoo card was so cutting edge you mgiht just whore your own mother out to get them...

P166 and a voodoo card? That's not old enough. How bout being retarded and buying a pack hell p100 way overpriced with 1.6GB hd, 16 MB ram and 1MB video ram. And that's only 10 and a half years ago. :trophy:

Bazukaz

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I had an overclocked Cyrix MII running at 250Mhz which was labelled 333+. It was built to compete with intel's PII 333 Mhz. Cyrix was outperformed by Pentium MMX 166 Mhz :lol:
By the way , my first PC was 486 DX2 at 66 Hmz and 650 mb hard drive and 8 megs of ram. these days it was awesome !

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
At this time , it was awesome !

Heck yeah! My P100 rocked and I could play all sorts of games. Then it reached the point where I was looking at games at the local store and was sad because my computer couldn't run them anymore. What a shame. *Sound of flushing money down toilet*

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I remember buying a Cyrix chip and mobo for my new QW habit, and the game was really jittery. I couldn't understand it as it was really fast in Windows 95.

Then I found out that its FPU was rubbish so it was slow in games - doh! So I got a PII instead - it was like night and day.

OMG - definitely dates me :oops:

I remember buying a Cyrix chip and mobo for my new QW habit, and the game was really jittery. I couldn't understand it as it was really fast in Windows 95.

Then I found out that its FPU was rubbish so it was slow in games - doh! So I got a PII instead - it was like night and day.

OMG - definitely dates me :oops:

No, being in college and connecting to the lan via an acoustic coupler would date you, not to mention the 300+ feet of paper you'd have to pull off the teletype terminal and take back to the dorm with you.. :lol: Man, I'm glad those days are over. (Oh, and that was only 1981). My first personal computer had 2k of ram (notice, not meg.). I was so happy when the Vic-20 came out with 5k ram. :lol:

Anyhow, Cyrix math coprocessors were great. Their CPU's sucked.

computerburglar

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
cirix were the worst CPU's made. i remeber using them back in collage and out of all the spare CPU's there the Pentium 1 at 75mHz was faster thean a cyrix 166mhz

Hey, I didn't say they were great, I just said they were first. Admittedly they did suck ballz performancewise.

Yeah but so did AMD! But you have to realize Cyrix cpu's weren't suppose to be competitive against Intel. They always catered to the low end segment. They were more worried about a good solid low function cpu rather than worry about speed and performance.

computerburglar

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006

those were good days. I mean every mhz mattered and oc'ing really made a difference. Video cards were cheap and almost every game was fun to play. But i think when AMD came out with the Athlon is where things got really interesting cause you had a company making crappy cpu's and all of a sudden they come out with something that was better than Inte'ls.

sixbone

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

QFE...obviously you didn't finish 'collage' ROFLMAO

vladtepes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Those Cyrix werent bad at all, the systems were slower because
they built them with cheap all in one motherboards, like Pcchips and Amptron
I remember buiding computers with SOYO motherboards and
they run just fine

threep

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Cyrix were indeed cheap, allowing many people to build a $400 computer when most systems were $2k or more.

Now, if you REALLY wanna laugh, I upgraded my first 286 from 1Meg of RAM to 4Megs for $100. The 40MB SCSI hard drive was Double-spaced to 80MB so it could run Windoze 3.1. If it was printing (on the 9-pin dot matrix printer), the screensaver would cause the printer to slow down.

Of course, I first learned computers on our ATARI 400, which had cartriges for BASIC programming (as well as Donkey Kong). It had a membrane keyboard, used your TV as the monitor, and you could store programs onto cassette tapes using an actual tape recorder. I think it was an 8-bit processor with like 8k of RAM.

Today, cellphones have way more power than those things!

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Anyone of you other old farts remember the Diamond Monster 3d? :)

Or when the diamond Stealth cards came out?

Or when Oak Technologies made one of the best vid cards on the market?

Or

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

The "TIMEX SINCLAIR 1000"

This is a good and very funny read:

http://oldcomputers.net/ts1000.html

This was my first Home PC! But I had the 16K ram pack (See the picture with the little box hanging off the back)! A basic only computer with a membrane keyboard (but it did nave the auto numbering feature for your basic programming ;))

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Best part about that comp was the storage. It was a cassette tape on an audio out jack that worked at best 50% of the time.

I also had a trash 80 as well gotta love em ;). (ok no ya don't) :)

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Have you seen the excitement and the amount of posts about getting a Conroe today. Makes me smile when I think that years from now, the kids that are finally getting this chip will one day be posting about how great it was, and how great their 500gb drive and x1900xt graphics card were totally top-end.

Makes me feel old, but comforted in a way. It's always nice to hand down the torch to the next generation. :)

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

The "TIMEX SINCLAIR 1000"

This is a good and very funny read:

http://oldcomputers.net/ts1000.html

This was my first Home PC! But I had the 16K ram pack (See the picture with the little box hanging off the back)! A basic only computer with a membrane keyboard (but it did nave the auto numbering feature for your basic programming ;))

LMFAO! That would be the 2k computer I mentioned having in my above post. I did later get the 16K expansion pack. It took hours to load programs/games off cassettes. Laughably, I think it was actually faster than the teletype terminals.