Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

New Layout

Tags:
  • Structure
  • Hardware
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in Forum Feedback
February 5, 2007 11:27:28 AM

I like the looks of the new layout for your webpage however I feel one very important feature was left out. The latest forum posts that scrolled in the center of the hardware screen was an excellent feature that enticed people to visit the forums. To do away with this feature deters me from entering the forumz section to look for new posts and read first hand experiences and questions from fellow enthusiasts.

More about : layout

February 5, 2007 11:30:06 AM

I agree. A quick check of recent posts is often my main reason for visiting the site.
February 5, 2007 12:35:31 PM

Me too. I finally registered in the last few days after visiting the site for years. Was disappointed this morning to find that aspect eliminated. Please bring the latest rolling posts back. :( 
Related resources
February 5, 2007 12:46:36 PM

Yep, need the scrolling of forum threads on the main page AS WELL AS adding dates to ALL of the article links... Links to articles with dates on them help me see what the latest news is.
February 5, 2007 1:35:26 PM

With all you guys, the posts were the best. On of my main reasons to visiting the site 20 times daily. Now I'm just going to have my once look in the morning unless you PLEASE bring it back!!!!!
February 5, 2007 2:17:00 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOO.
I liked the old layout. This one looks too businessy.
Plus, like everyone else said, the site needs the scrolling forum post history.
February 5, 2007 3:14:13 PM

still exists here on .co.uk
February 5, 2007 3:49:05 PM

Quote:
I like the looks of the new layout for your webpage however I feel one very important feature was left out. The latest forum posts that scrolled in the center of the hardware screen was an excellent feature that enticed people to visit the forums. To do away with this feature deters me from entering the forumz section to look for new posts and read first hand experiences and questions from fellow enthusiasts.


i totally agree, bring the scroll back! :( 
no complaints about the rest :) 
February 5, 2007 3:54:21 PM

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOO.
I liked the old layout. This one looks too businessy.
Plus, like everyone else said, the site needs the scrolling forum post history.


:evil: 
I second that
February 5, 2007 4:02:16 PM

Quote:
Yep, need the scrolling of forum threads on the main page AS WELL AS adding dates to ALL of the article links... Links to articles with dates on them help me see what the latest news is.


I was going to mail them that very suggestion this morning, but I figured someone else would call it... ;) 
February 5, 2007 4:15:05 PM

I would also add though while buisness-y, it still looks nice. I think they still need some polish to make it more friendly, and to make the ads less obvious (but still present).

I will probably have more to say after surfing a few days, but so long as they do not get any MORE smart-tag ads on the text in posts and articles (especially ones that have nothing to do with the article itself) I will be all right.
February 5, 2007 4:50:39 PM

Quote:
Me too. I finally registered in the last few days after visiting the site for years. Was disappointed this morning to find that aspect eliminated. Please bring the latest rolling posts back. :( 


I passed this thread and others on - I'm betting the scroll returns :wink:
February 5, 2007 5:15:25 PM

I don't like the new layout one bit :evil:  :( 
February 5, 2007 5:54:05 PM

As far as people liking the new layout or not is a matter of personal opinion--like peoples' preferences for computer cases--and was not the intent of my post. Eventually, people will get used to the new layout. However, the scrolling is a feature, not a layout change. We greatly appreciate you passing along our request for the return of the scroll---it's a great feature. Thanks JB
February 5, 2007 5:59:37 PM

It's been done :) 
February 5, 2007 6:35:05 PM

Pls bring back the scroll gadget.

I'll even make that a pretty please with sugar on top.
February 5, 2007 7:13:40 PM

Quote:
It's been done :) 


I'm not getting it yet. refreshed, exited and re-entered, etc..



Excellent "Before you Post" film.
February 5, 2007 7:17:52 PM

Quote:
I'm not getting it yet. refreshed, exited and re-entered, etc..

Damn, give them a day or so ... :roll:
February 5, 2007 7:23:56 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback regarding Forumz. TGP will bring it back asap! We are up for more site suggestions:

- Likes and dislikes
- Ideas for improvement
- What do you think about our new consumer electronics site, www.geardigest.com?

Keep the feedback coming......
February 5, 2007 7:33:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not getting it yet. refreshed, exited and re-entered, etc..


lol, i was expecting it to take about a week or so. Patience :lol: 
February 5, 2007 7:43:56 PM

When I go to the forums, and then click one of the categories such as Networking, it redirects to a non-thg website.
February 5, 2007 8:36:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all of the feedback regarding Forumz. TGP will bring it back asap! We are up for more site suggestions:

- Likes and dislikes
- Ideas for improvement
- What do you think about our new consumer electronics site, www.geardigest.com?

Keep the feedback coming......

Its basically the same as the THG main site. Although the color choice is a little better perhaps. At least the red/orange color doesn bleed into the background like the baby blue section headers on THG main site.

The one dimensional color scheme is just lacking as a whole. Need some more icons for the links to jazz things up a bit. Outlining the sections with a neutral color or something might help. Readers need eye candy or else boredom will set in quickly.

The layout is nice for articles but they are being squeezed to a small sliver of readable space. Slim down that third column to the right side to about half and give the articles room to breathe!!! I would make the right column equal to that of the "Home" column on the left.
February 5, 2007 9:32:02 PM

While I agree with just about everyone with regards to the thread ticker, I would like to see the ability to change forum categories on the new one so I can see what topics are being discussed outside of the hardware section.

Also, why are there links to TGDaily on the right and on the bottom of the page, and why don't they coincide? Please also include dates on the right ones.
February 5, 2007 10:14:06 PM

I want the scroll back to....it was useful....
February 5, 2007 10:39:07 PM

Quote:
I want the scroll back to....it was useful....

I believe it will return :D 
February 5, 2007 10:53:00 PM

You spelled 'forumz' wrong in the new layout. Plz fix it.

I would like to have the forum ticker back, and if you could give it increased functionality that would also be nice, but i think NOT having it on the front page is a good move to reduce unwanted traffic. A lot of the things that hit that front page ticker ended up getting tons of garbage posted in them...
February 5, 2007 11:08:02 PM

Due to popular demand we added the scrolling forums headlines back to the home page. It's in the most right column now, I am sure you'll see it right away.

I am sure, as with any layout change in the past, you'll quickly get used to its new features and added functionality. I know it's always a shock at first to find everything rearranged. Just give it a few days and like with the scrolling forums headlines we'll keep listening to your feedback and keep improving. Just bear in mind that we can't make everybody happy, but will try :) 
February 5, 2007 11:45:16 PM

Thanks Fredi, I actually like the new layout (especially displaying feature story graphics when you roll over their respective buttons), but I like it even better with Forumz scroll. I don't know if this is the consensus, but tomshardware.com looks, well, cleaner.
February 6, 2007 1:25:12 AM

Quote:
Due to popular demand we added the scrolling forums headlines back to the home page. It's in the most right column now, I am sure you'll see it right away.

I am sure, as with any layout change in the past, you'll quickly get used to its new features and added functionality. I know it's always a shock at first to find everything rearranged. Just give it a few days and like with the scrolling forums headlines we'll keep listening to your feedback and keep improving. Just bear in mind that we can't make everybody happy, but will try :) 


The new layout isn't that bad. The colors just stink. Its far to bland coming from the other multi-color layout. Also the forums ticker could use some font work it looks like its flashing when it scrolls.
February 6, 2007 10:22:52 AM

Quote:
I'm not getting it yet. refreshed, exited and re-entered, etc..

Damn, give them a day or so ... :roll:

:oops:  Sorry, :(  I need to start using smilies :)  better. Was at work :x and was up to my elbows in end users. :?
February 6, 2007 4:14:01 PM

Quote:
Due to popular demand we added the scrolling forums headlines back to the home page. It's in the most right column now, I am sure you'll see it right away.

I am sure, as with any layout change in the past, you'll quickly get used to its new features and added functionality. I know it's always a shock at first to find everything rearranged. Just give it a few days and like with the scrolling forums headlines we'll keep listening to your feedback and keep improving. Just bear in mind that we can't make everybody happy, but will try :) 


Glad to see the scrolling forum back, but when I click on it, nothing happens, it doesn't load. Kind of like holding a candy bar in front of a kid and when he reaches for it, you jerk it out of his reach.

Other than that, the new layout could use some differentiating colors or something. My old eyes aren't what they used to be and different colors made it easier to focus on different things.
February 6, 2007 4:18:09 PM

Thanks for bringing the scrolling back. I do have to agree with some of the other posters. We need some differentiation within the color scheme. That light blue is difficult to see at times.