Why does sound only work on pc when peripheral is plugged into 3 5mm

scrappydoo187

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
I recently bought a logitech 5.1 surround system for my computer/tv/game system. I hooked it up properly and it worked just fine. When i unplugged the 3.5 mm jack from the rear audio out bus the sound on my monitor stopped working, I then tried to get it back to working order but unfortunately i could not. The thing that makes no sense to me is that this sound system is external yet it seems to affect my monitor sound when unplugged. Also the surround sound will only work with the tv through RCA plugs now and not through the computer via 3.5 mm jack. I thought that maybe i changed a sound setting so I restored the computer settings to before the point of purchase of sound system to no avail. Is there any way to reset the system (windows 7 os) to where it won't require a peripheral to be plugged into the rear 3.5 mm jack?

0shadow

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
logitech has its own sound drivers and everything... i mean its a completely different device.. you should be able to change some settings in the cp and get your old speakers to work... change the default sound output device to your monitor speakers or whtever you want..

gud luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Go into Control Panel/Sound and there you can select your default output device. When you plugged in the 3.5mm plug, your system detected the change and subsequently changed the default device. Sounds like you were using HDMI to your monitor for sound before.

That will get you back where you started.

So, are you trying to connect your surround sound directly to the PC only, or are you trying to use it for multiple devices?