Dual Processors

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Why don't I see two windows reporting performance for each cpu in task manager? The system recognizes two cpus when it boots. Is there something I have to do to the operating system to take advantage of SMP services in Win 2K advanced server?

Perform this procedure if you have a single processor and want to add multiple processors to your computer.

To upgrade from a uniprocessor to a multiprocessor computer

Open Device Manager.
Double-click Computer.
Right-click the appropriate computer model, for example, Standard PC, and then click Properties.
On the Driver tab, click Update Driver. This starts the Upgrade Device Driver wizard.
Click Next.
From the Install Hardware Device Drivers page, click Display a list for the known drivers for this device so that I can choose a specific driver. Click Next.
From the Select a Device Driver page, click Show all hardware of this device class.
Click the appropriate computer type from the Models list. Click Next. Click Next again, and then click Finish.
Warning

Make sure you upgrade to the appropriate computer model types. Upgrading to the wrong computer model may cause the system to stop responding or fail to start. For example, Standard PC and MPS Uniprocessor PC should only be upgraded to MPS Multiprocessor PC. Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC and ACPI Uniprocessor PC should only be upgraded to ACPI Multiprocessor PC.
Notes

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
To open Device Manager, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.