Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building a Conroe [Core2Duo; E6600] computer. Help needed.

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 27, 2006 6:01:23 PM

Hello!

My entire system budget is around $2000.00 USD, give or take. This will include basically everything, but a monitor. I have purchased two 22" CRT monitors on craigslist for 80 bucks a pop, but that will not be included on the total.

I would like the computer to be proficient in the following: General computing, Film Editing, Photoshop, Musical Composing, Games, things of this nature.

Games are not my priority for building this computer, as I don't spend "much" time doing that. I don't really spend a majority in one area or the other, but I would like it to work well for all of these applications.

Here's my current set-up. I haven't bought anything, so suggestions are welcome.

[Power Supply]

HIPER HPU-4B580-MS 580W Power Supply - $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817128001

[Case]

Antec Performance I P-160W Silver 1.2mm Anodized Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $93.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811129173

[Motherboard]

ABIT AB9 Pro Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard $159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127004
OR
ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - $249.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131028

(suggestion here would be greatly appreciated)

[Processor]

I'm right now looking at the E6600 Core2Duo Processor. This should run ~$400.00 [which is more than I had expected.] - $400.00

[Video Card]

eVGA 256-P2-N567 Geforce 7900GT KO Superclocked 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card $289.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130016

[Sound Card]

M-Audio Audiophile 192 High-Definition 4-In/4-out Audio Card with I/O and MIDI - $123.88
http://www.powermax.com/product/Audiophile_192_High-Definition_4-In_4-out_Audio_Card_with_I_O_and_MIDI/ms-9900-40768-00.html

(I want to use programs like FL Studio, and have done a fair amount of research in sound cards. I know that the X-Fi series is more suited for gaming, but, this isn't going to be a gaming computer [mainly].)

[Memory]

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - $297.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145038

[Hard Drive]

(6X)Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive 6x320 = $599.94
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

....Yes, I am getting SIX 320 GB drives. I will use the storage. Believe me.

[DVD Drive/Burner]

LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/ LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM Write Black ATAPI/E-IDE Model SHM-165H6S - $38.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827106019

[Monitor]

(2)NEC-Mitsubishi 22" - FREE!! (Well, not free, but I got them on craigs list for 80 bucks a piece. They just will not be added to my total.)
http://www.nulime.com/NEC-Mitsubishi-22-24-SuperBright-1920x1440-B-Size-20-Over-CRT-p11391-c2434.html

Fans/Cooling

I'm not sure if I should get a CPU fan, or which one. I might overclock. These would be the two fans for my case though, are they alright? Anything better?

Thermaltake Thunderblade A1926 120mm Sleeve Blue LED Light Cooling Fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999127 - (2)$9.99 = $19.98

[Keyboard]

LITE-ON SK-1789/BS 2-Tone 104 Normal Keys 14 Function Keys PS/2 Wired Slim Keyboard - $6.25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823107123
-----

The total is ~$2000.00 [well, 2111.00 really, with the cheaper motherboard. 2000 isn't critical, just, it "was" my goal. Trying to get the best for my money around there.

So how does all this look? Anything you'd change? I'm mostly concerned about the ram, motherboard, and power supply. The other things I'm pretty well set on.

Let me know what you think guys. I'd appreciate it.

Also... when is... conroe coming out? I heard the 23rd, 24th, 27th, 28th, August 7th, a whole bunch of different dates. It doesn't look like I can buy it anywhere for now. :/ 

What about cooling? I haven't overclocked much, but would like to if you see necessary. I would fuss with it a bunch, as long as it would preform better. I would like a good cost/benefit value for doing such though. I am fairly BIOS familiar.

Thank you very much.

~Equivicae
July 27, 2006 6:30:21 PM

Wow, you can store alot of porn! :p  Looks good to me, some components similar to the build i'm doing.

Guess I zoned out after the keyboard, but so far Conroes are reporting to OC real well even off stock cooling, but i've heard the Scythe Ninja suggested often, so that's what i've ordered.
Related resources
July 29, 2006 1:31:23 PM

Does everything else look good? How about the ram?
July 29, 2006 2:15:23 PM

Quote:
Does everything else look good? How about the ram?


Everything looks fine. RAM is great, probably a little overkill for now, but it will help if you want to overclock and for future upgrades.
July 29, 2006 3:30:36 PM

If you're going to overclock, then you should SERIOUSLY reconsider your choice of motherboard.

The best one with overclock potential is the Asus P5W DH, which is based on another chipset than you've chosen. It's what I'm choosing for my E6600 rig and I do indeed plan to overclock.

Regarding soundcard, VERY nice choice. Don't let anyone convince you of something else. If you're serious about music, then M-Audio is the right choice. The X-fi just doesn't cut it.
July 29, 2006 3:47:41 PM

Quote:
Hello!

My entire system budget is around $2000.00 USD, give or take. This will include basically everything, but a monitor. I have purchased two 22" CRT monitors on craigslist for 80 bucks a pop, but that will not be included on the total.

I would like the computer to be proficient in the following: General computing, Film Editing, Photoshop, Musical Composing, Games, things of this nature.

Games are not my priority for building this computer, as I don't spend "much" time doing that. I don't really spend a majority in one area or the other, but I would like it to work well for all of these applications.

Here's my current set-up. I haven't bought anything, so suggestions are welcome.

[Power Supply]

HIPER HPU-4B580-MS 580W Power Supply - $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817128001

[Case]

Antec Performance I P-160W Silver 1.2mm Anodized Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $93.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811129173

[Motherboard]

ABIT AB9 Pro Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard $159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127004
OR
ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - $249.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131028

(suggestion here would be greatly appreciated)

[Processor]

I'm right now looking at the E6600 Core2Duo Processor. This should run ~$400.00 [which is more than I had expected.] - $400.00

[Video Card]

eVGA 256-P2-N567 Geforce 7900GT KO Superclocked 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card $289.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130016

[Sound Card]

M-Audio Audiophile 192 High-Definition 4-In/4-out Audio Card with I/O and MIDI - $123.88
http://www.powermax.com/product/Audiophile_192_High-Definition_4-In_4-out_Audio_Card_with_I_O_and_MIDI/ms-9900-40768-00.html

(I want to use programs like FL Studio, and have done a fair amount of research in sound cards. I know that the X-Fi series is more suited for gaming, but, this isn't going to be a gaming computer [mainly].)

[Memory]

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - $297.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145038

[Hard Drive]

(6X)Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive 6x320 = $599.94
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

....Yes, I am getting SIX 320 GB drives. I will use the storage. Believe me.

[DVD Drive/Burner]

LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/ LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM Write Black ATAPI/E-IDE Model SHM-165H6S - $38.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827106019

[Monitor]

(2)NEC-Mitsubishi 22" - FREE!! (Well, not free, but I got them on craigs list for 80 bucks a piece. They just will not be added to my total.)
http://www.nulime.com/NEC-Mitsubishi-22-24-SuperBright-1920x1440-B-Size-20-Over-CRT-p11391-c2434.html

Fans/Cooling

I'm not sure if I should get a CPU fan, or which one. I might overclock. These would be the two fans for my case though, are they alright? Anything better?

Thermaltake Thunderblade A1926 120mm Sleeve Blue LED Light Cooling Fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999127 - (2)$9.99 = $19.98

[Keyboard]

LITE-ON SK-1789/BS 2-Tone 104 Normal Keys 14 Function Keys PS/2 Wired Slim Keyboard - $6.25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823107123
-----

The total is ~$2000.00 [well, 2111.00 really, with the cheaper motherboard. 2000 isn't critical, just, it "was" my goal. Trying to get the best for my money around there.

So how does all this look? Anything you'd change? I'm mostly concerned about the ram, motherboard, and power supply. The other things I'm pretty well set on.

Let me know what you think guys. I'd appreciate it.

Also... when is... conroe coming out? I heard the 23rd, 24th, 27th, 28th, August 7th, a whole bunch of different dates. It doesn't look like I can buy it anywhere for now. :/ 

What about cooling? I haven't overclocked much, but would like to if you see necessary. I would fuss with it a bunch, as long as it would preform better. I would like a good cost/benefit value for doing such though. I am fairly BIOS familiar.

Thank you very much.

~Equivicae
everything is nice except mobo, ram, cpu.

mobo get this http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131030

ram get this http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231073

cpu get it from here it's $340 with free shipping http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80860
July 29, 2006 4:19:37 PM

He said that he was considering overclocking and you recommend a P965 mobo? Are you totally clueless or have you just neglected to read up on the subject?

Ignore his mobo advice, cuz the overclocking capabilities of that mobo will seriously dissapoint you. The Asus P5W DH is atm the only serious choice for overclocking. If you don't believe me, check out the reviews on THG & Anandtech.
July 29, 2006 4:38:57 PM

Quote:
He said that he was considering overclocking and you recommend a P965 mobo? Are you totally clueless or have you just neglected to read up on the subject?

Ignore his mobo advice, cuz the overclocking capabilities of that mobo will seriously dissapoint you. The Asus P5W DH is atm the only serious choice for overclocking. If you don't believe me, check out the reviews on THG & Anandtech.


Asus P5W DH is a intel 975x, what you probably want to do for your new build is choose a P965. The Asus P5W DH that everyone seems to be talking about looks like an unwanted Asus P5WD, but has support for crossfire which you defenetly don't need since you won't be gaming. Either way that coressfire is at 8x/8x rather than a true 16x/16x which ATI RD600 will have a few months down the line. Asus P5B deluxe is the board for you. It also has a great potential for overclocking, runs much cooler and also supports future intel processors. And I'm not just saying this because I bought the P5B deluxe as well The market took a side step, you can either go along or get trampled while a stampeed is runing by.
July 29, 2006 6:57:21 PM

Thanks for all of your replies guys!

Do you think I need a cooling unit like a tuniq tower 120? Or anything like that? I would overclock, as long as it is... a "smart" move to make. Or -- is stock cooling enough on this baby?

I would like the 2.4GHz to clock to at least 3.0GHz, preferrably more. What clocks can I get with stock and all the stuff I got? What about with Tuniq?

Also, I've been hearing rave reviews about this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682... , is that pretty good stuff?

or would this http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682... be better?

Thanks!
July 29, 2006 7:39:45 PM

Here's a good comparison of popular 975x and 965 mobos for core2 duo by anandtech. i'm gonna go with the p5w dh myself.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797

You might want to consider another PSU, Hiper is neat and all but it has relatively low efficiency rating which means more heat for your system. Here's a review of several power supplies. i am personally gonna go with the Enermax Liberty for my E6300 build.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/07/5_power_supplies...

lastly, anandtech tested overclocking the two allendale core2 duos with stock cooling and managed to get the E6400 to 2.8GHz stably. so you should not have any problems getting the E6600 to 3.0Ghz wihtout any special cooling measures. here's the full review.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=280...
July 29, 2006 8:33:03 PM

Alright, will take a look at the enermax.

How will I power all 6 of my hard drives? It doesn't show "what" modular cabels it comes with. Do I need to get an adapter? Or more modular sata cables?

I need 6 to go to my hard drives.
July 30, 2006 9:52:19 AM

Quote:
He said that he was considering overclocking and you recommend a P965 mobo? Are you totally clueless or have you just neglected to read up on the subject?

Ignore his mobo advice, cuz the overclocking capabilities of that mobo will seriously dissapoint you. The Asus P5W DH is atm the only serious choice for overclocking. If you don't believe me, check out the reviews on THG & Anandtech.


Asus P5W DH is a intel 975x, what you probably want to do for your new build is choose a P965. The Asus P5W DH that everyone seems to be talking about looks like an unwanted Asus P5WD, but has support for crossfire which you defenetly don't need since you won't be gaming. Either way that coressfire is at 8x/8x rather than a true 16x/16x which ATI RD600 will have a few months down the line. Asus P5B deluxe is the board for you. It also has a great potential for overclocking, runs much cooler and also supports future intel processors. And I'm not just saying this because I bought the P5B deluxe as well The market took a side step, you can either go along or get trampled while a stampeed is runing by.

As someone posted earlier, read the reviews on the boards available. Every serious tester recommends the P5W DH. It's no fluke that they do, so unless you've done some serious testing with both boards and found a secret method of making the P965 boards overclock better...then you should keep your advise to yourself. The OP clearly indicated that he had plans on OC, so why the hell are you recommending a board that won't suit his needs?
July 30, 2006 11:25:19 AM

the p5b will overclock, but not as well as the p5w dh. that's a fact. however, you need to consider other factors as well. the p5w dh has some nice features but is probably more expensive. teh p5b only has one pcie x16, the other has two one of which can also be used for things other than a video card at speeds x1, x4, x8... p5b only has x1 ports i believe. anyway there are very good reviews comparing the two boards out there and you can after all make up your own mind, but if you are choosing purely on the overclock potential p5w dh is the current champ.

ps: with that many hard drives i hope you'll run some freaky fast raid configs 8)
July 30, 2006 11:54:54 AM

Alright, I think I may go with the P5W DH, especially because there's even a newer BIOS now.

A quick overclocking question. If I set the FSB of the E6600 [which is default 266.5] to 400, that would be 400*9 [times 9, because the E6600 has a multiplier of 9], I would have 3.6GHz, correct?

Now, what would each ram stick run as, in MHz? Do I want a 1:1 ratio? Or 1:2 ratio?

Also, if each ram stick is running at... let's say... 200mhz, then, will they be running at 400mhz in dual channel? Will CPU-Z report the "memory" speed as 400 or 200 in this case? Let me know; thanks.
August 6, 2006 9:17:38 PM

Quote:
He said that he was considering overclocking and you recommend a P965 mobo? Are you totally clueless or have you just neglected to read up on the subject?

Ignore his mobo advice, cuz the overclocking capabilities of that mobo will seriously dissapoint you. The Asus P5W DH is atm the only serious choice for overclocking. If you don't believe me, check out the reviews on THG & Anandtech.


Asus P5W DH is a intel 975x, what you probably want to do for your new build is choose a P965. The Asus P5W DH that everyone seems to be talking about looks like an unwanted Asus P5WD, but has support for crossfire which you defenetly don't need since you won't be gaming. Either way that coressfire is at 8x/8x rather than a true 16x/16x which ATI RD600 will have a few months down the line. Asus P5B deluxe is the board for you. It also has a great potential for overclocking, runs much cooler and also supports future intel processors. And I'm not just saying this because I bought the P5B deluxe as well The market took a side step, you can either go along or get trampled while a stampeed is runing by.

As someone posted earlier, read the reviews on the boards available. Every serious tester recommends the P5W DH. It's no fluke that they do, so unless you've done some serious testing with both boards and found a secret method of making the P965 boards overclock better...then you should keep your advise to yourself. The OP clearly indicated that he had plans on OC, so why the hell are you recommending a board that won't suit his needs?

BOOYA the 0405 BIOS for P5B Deluxe now alows FSB overclock 400 - 500 in incriments of 1 to match the P5W DH point for point and out perform it. You can shove that useless remote up yours!
August 7, 2006 1:49:37 AM

Quote:
If I set the FSB of the E6600 [which is default 266.5] to 400, that would be 400*9 [times 9, because the E6600 has a multiplier of 9], I would have 3.6GHz, correct?

Now, what would each ram stick run as, in MHz? Do I want a 1:1 ratio? Or 1:2 ratio?

Also, if each ram stick is running at... let's say... 200mhz, then, will they be running at 400mhz in dual channel? Will CPU-Z report the "memory" speed as 400 or 200 in this case? Let me know; thanks.


if you have the system clock set to 400MHz (FSB is quadpumped to 1600Mhz) with 1:1 divider, your DDR Memory will run at 800MHz (PC6400) (both single and dual channel configurations). at 1:2 it will 1600Mhz (PC12800). the latter would be very hard to reach with anything but the most expensive RAM. dual channel doesn't actually increase the frequency, but it doubles the width of the data transfer bus from 64bit to 128bit, which has the same effect as doubling the frequency.
August 7, 2006 2:51:03 AM

Yup yup yup. I figured that out later that night, and I understand it much better now.

I'm thinking of getting this ram: http://www.tankguys.biz/ddr2-3338-p-1676.html?osCsid=f0... which apparently overclocks easily to ddr2-1000 at crazy timings. Apparently it's even better than something like http://www.tankguys.biz/ddr2-55515-1000mhz-p-1647.html?... . Same chip apparently.

So, I've changed my RAM, and I'm thinking of going with the P5W or the P5B for my motherboard. I still could chose a DS3 or DQ6, but I'm not too sure. I think they're all pretty good. The Abit AB9 has nice features, but I think they layout of the motherboard SUCKS.

My goal is to use a scythe ninja, or Big Typhoon (With AS5) to overclock the FSB to 400, with a 1:1 ratio. That, OR, I might try to get a 4:5 fsb:ram ratio, to get the fsb at 400, and the ram at 500mhz, or DDR2-1000.
August 7, 2006 5:35:23 PM

I got the p5b deluxe. As I had stated in my ptrevious thread

Quote:
BOOYA the 0405 BIOS for P5B Deluxe now alows FSB overclock 400 - 500 in incriments of 1 to match the P5W DH point for point and out perform it. You can shove that useless remote up yours!


I am much more happier with the p5b Deluxe than I would be with p5w dh, but that's only because I don't care for the corssfire (8x ea/ as oposed to 16x on ATI's RD600). The memoery controller on the p5b is redesigned to match the all new p965 and will eventually prove it self to be stronger.

Ofcourse I justify purchasing this mobo over the p5w dh in other criteria as well. The $10 difference will not make me a gamer, so if you're looking to overclock and are looking for a fast enough machine to crunch files for you in a split second the p5b Deluxe will do. And in fact this very board will eventually become faster through the BIOS update. I have been looking through board comparisons and now and then it states the fact that the p965 will gain momentum especialy in the ASUS P5B Deluxe.
!