Newbie 1st build w/ 805 D...

VENAM1

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I'm new to the world of building a PC and was hoping to get some input from you pro's out there...

My plan was to build a system around the 805 D, overclock using air, get a decent motherboard for now and then buy a new Conroe chip and new motherboard next year...

I'm most fuzzy on what motherboard to go with as I want to make sure it has the best available tuning / stepping (?) for voltage and all that, especially to take that chip to 3.5+GHz...

I'm leaning to nVidia-based chipsets as I have no idea what to look for with the Intel chipsets... SLI is not a must either...

I was looking a the ASUS mobo's but they seem to maybe be too much money for now, especially if I'm gonna get a new one next year (But they do over an 8-phase board and that seemed important to me for some reason)...

I'll be doing high-end 3D work and probably gaming too...

Any help is appreciated, thanks...

PS: Here's what I'm thinking of right now:

CPU - Pentium 805 D
MOBO - ???????
VIDEO - XFX GeForce 7900GT
COOLER - Scythe SCMN-1000 / ZALMAN CNPS9500
RAM - OCZ Platinum 2GB DDR2 800 / value RAM ?
PSU - OCZ GameXStream 700W
HDD - Raptor 74GB 10k w/ Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 (x2)
CASE - Antec P180

:?:

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I'm new to the world of building a PC and was hoping to get some input from you pro's out there...

My plan was to build a system around the 805 D, overclock using air, get a decent motherboard for now and then buy a new Conroe chip and new motherboard next year...

I'm most fuzzy on what motherboard to go with as I want to make sure it has the best available tuning / stepping (?) for voltage and all that, especially to take that chip to 3.5+GHz...

I'm leaning to nVidia-based chipsets as I have no idea what to look for with the Intel chipsets... SLI is not a must either...

I was looking a the ASUS mobo's but they seem to maybe be too much money for now, especially if I'm gonna get a new one next year (But they do over an 8-phase board and that seemed important to me for some reason)...

CPU - Pentium 805 D
MOBO - ???????
CASE - Antec P180

Don't build that system. Period. The 805 is horrible unless you overclock the crap out of it. If you must with a non Core2 CPU at least get a D930. It is lightyears better than the D805 and is not much more money. High-end video and gaming are dead with an 805.

However based on what you are buying, you seem to have the cash. Just wait a month and get Core2. There is absolutely no point in building this system. I am not trying to be a jerk or an ass, but 805 has been grossly overhyped, and it just not perform like people want it to. Let's not even get into the massive power drain and heat draw of an 805 either.

Other thoughts: Raptors are worthless. Drop it and keep the other 2 320GBs.

VENAM1

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
HAHAHHAHAAH!

Awesome replies...

The Conroe situation, well, it seems to be just too much cash right now...

I'll wait for Conroe till next year so there's more stuff out and it's cheaper...

Back to the 805D: Why is it so bad? Just the heat? Even overclocked you think it's bad, eh? I'm really confused now if that thing at 3.5GHz is no good...

Regardless, right before I set my sights on it, I was about to pull the trigger on the AMD 4600+, which now I can't decide what the f**k to do...!;)

Please keep the info coming though...

Thanks again...

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
The Conroe situation, well, it seems to be just too much cash right now...

secondly im not too sure how many are going to be about for a while. just pick up a cheap pentium in the mean time...

and while the 805 may be overhyped its no more over hyped than the conroe. which no one seems to be able to get their grubby mits on. so for the sake of $100 and the expreiance of overclocking it, try it. it might just be a laugh.

overclocking the 805 with the standard cooler

CPU - Pentium 805 D
MOBO - ???????
CASE - Antec P180

I built a Pentium D 805 D Smithfield micro system a while back and I'm very peased with it. I can't speak for the more expensive Pentium D processors, I don't own one. I can clock mine to 3.5 on a coolermaster aftermarket Heasink/fan without touching the Vcore. In fact the core is 1.325, undervolted. That's an instant 900 mhz. overclock. Aparently Wow and CS play very well. One kid tells me it it does much better than his Intel 3.0 after playing it. It's really just a toy to me, but here are the specs.

Pentium D 805 Smithfield 266 ghz @3.5ghz.
ASUS P5LD2-VM Micro 945G
OCZ Gold PC5400 667 mhz. 512 x 4
Sapphire ATI x1800xt
Aspire X-Qpack micro case
Sony DVD
Pioneer RW
Logitech 2.2 speakers
Logitech 510 mouse
Xinfinity atx 500w PSI (yes, in a micro!)

I completely understand shadowduck, Waylander and I'm sure many others recommending using your money for Conroe. But what the heck, I enjoy the hell out of mine. Everyone who see it wants it. :)

High end dual cores can get expensive. The 805 D Smithfield gives you a 3.5 ghz dual core a small cost. I don't think I wasted my money. I could take all the parts I have and buy a Conre CPU and MB and make it a Conroe build. It would be an expensive toy then. I shouldn't of thought of that idea: Too easy.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Back to the 805D: Why is it so bad? Just the heat? Even overclocked you think it's bad, eh? I'm really confused now if that thing at 3.5GHz is no good...

Thanks again...

Sheer speed means zip. AMD taught us that years ago. An 2.2GHz AMD CPU can spank a 3.5GHz CPU from Intel. The 805 suffers from a crippled FSB at 533MHz and a crippled 1MB of L2 cache. The D 930 has a full 2MB of cache and the full 800MHz FSB.

Badge: I am not saying the 805 is without uses. However for gaming and high -end 3D work, even at 3.5GHz the 805 is just going to fall short of the mark. The D930 is only a few more dollars (like $50) and thats it makes it very hard in my mind to recommend an 805 to anyone.

Thanks again...

Sheer speed means zip. AMD taught us that years ago. An 2.2GHz AMD CPU can spank a 3.5GHz CPU from Intel. The 805 suffers from a crippled FSB at 533MHz and a crippled 1MB of L2 cache. The D 930 has a full 2MB of cache and the full 800MHz FSB.

Badge: I am not saying the 805 is without uses. However for gaming and high -end 3D work, even at 3.5GHz the 805 is just going to fall short of the mark. The D930 is only a few more dollars (like $50) and thats it makes it very hard in my mind to recommend an 805 to anyone.

Besides being a chick magnet, my 805 D has 2 x 1024 L2 cache. Holds a lot'a chicks in the pipes waiting to be processed. Yeah, the AMD's do still outperform the Intels at this level (generally speaking). My AMD 4800 X2 a 2.4 clcked to 2.5 with 2 x 1024 L2 chick magnets and it CREAMS the 805 D. In a comprehensive benchmarck the 4800x2 is routinely 33% more proficient as the 3.5 Pentium D. I paid like eight times more for the AMD 4800x2. I do like the processor a lot. Best by far I have used every day.

One of the lower end Conroes and compatible MB in place of the 805 D would be a great idea for the OP. You said that. I didn't have to type all of this!

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Pentium D 805: $104
Pentium D 915: $140

Pentium D 805: 2.66GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2x1MB cache, 90nm
Pentium D 915: 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2x2MB cache, 65nm

The D 915 will run cooler and overclock better. You'd need to overclock the D 805 to 4GHz just to have it running at 800MHz FSB. At 3.5GHz, the 805 has a 700MHz FSB (3500/20), so it has less bandwidth than the 915 at the stock speed.

The extra $35 for the 915 is money well spent.

VENAM1

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Okay, I could probably strecth the extra $40 on that chip...

I'm still at a loss as to what mobo to go for, especially with the 915 chip...

Since the chip is 65nm, I'm assuming that the mobo I get now could potentially support a Conroe chip later...?

That may not be so bad...

Regardless, I need recs on motherboards to make my 3D work and games run nice and fast with (maybe) this 915 chip...

Please, keep it coming...!