New build - any suggestions?

DaCarez

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
So after snagging a E6600 for $340, I of course now need to build the rest of the system around it. So without further ado, here are my component choices as of now. Please provide any feedback.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (Yay)

Cooler: Tuniq Tower 120 (or is this not needed? I got a retail 6600)

Memory: OCZ PC2-6400 DDR800 Platinum 4-5-4-15 (model OCZ2P8002GK)

HDD: 74GB Raptor (lifted from this machine), 120GB SATA (also from here), and 2x320GB 7200.10 (RAID1 for my data)

Case: Gigabyte 3d Aurora (Used it before, liked it a lot)

Power supply: Here is where the uncertainty enters. Either OCZ GameXStream 700W (want room to upgrade) or Silverstone ST56ZF (560W but it's single rail 12V, I've heard different arguments both for and against multi-rail PSU) --> leaning toward the OCZ

Video: eVGA 7900GT, something to hold me over until the DX10 parts, plus eVGA stepup is excellent for that (A bit of an nVidia fan at heart)

Opticals: Will reuse from here.

Motherboard: Ah, motherboard. three-way tie right now:
a) Asus P5W-DH: 975X, great overclocker, but a little strain on my wallet
b) Gigabyte DS3: not a 975X, also a great OC I hear, less strain on wallet
c) DFI 975X: 975X, but not as great an overclocker supposedly
edit: d) Asus P5B not-deluxe: 965, and affordable.
Misc: Floppy drive

Thanks in advance

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Well, lets start from the top. The Tuniq Tower 120 is probably the best air cooler ever. It isn't needed, but I think you will be getting at least 3.5Ghz+. That is almost too low of an estimate.

Memory/Case/Hard Drives look good.

Multiple Rails offer more stability by spiltting the rails and I try to pick a PSU with them. It is kind of like dual-core. You don't exactly need it, but it can only make it better. And, anyways, I've heard good things on the OCZ 700W.

GPU: Good choice. I favor nVidia a little, too.

Ah, the motherboard choices. Thankfully you've already omitted the Bad Axe. They all are good choices, I think. I think you should compare the ASUS P5W-DH versus the GA-965P-DQ6 (you mention the DQ3, but DQ6 is a closer match). I think the Gigabyte would be a better overclocker because of the Quad Triple Phase. But it doesn't have Cross-Fire, well, it doesn't officially support it. I cannot decide, they are both very close...

I think, in the end, it will be which chipset is superior: 975X or 965. The DS3 is also worthy. Everything else looks great..

~Ibrahim~

EDIT: After careful consideration and reading Anandtech's guide, go with the ASUS.

DaCarez

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

Since I remembered I need a soundcard, I'm going to get the X-Fi Fatality ($120 after rebate), and also since I don't play so many 3D games right now, I'll drop the 7900GT to a 7600GT. Finally, since the T-120 is a phantom, looks like I'll be getting a Scythe Ninja.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
The fatality is not worth it, if you really need the front bay get the platinum, if you don't need the front bay get the xtreme music.

They are all the same chip and same features except for the ram on the platinum and fatality (which not many programs/games use yet).

DaCarez

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
The fatality is not worth it, if you really need the front bay get the platinum, if you don't need the front bay get the xtreme music.

They are all the same chip and same features except for the ram on the platinum and fatality (which not many programs/games use yet).

Normally, I would agree with you. However, this price for the fatality ($120 after $80 rebate) is a mere $10-15 more than regular prices for the Xtrememusic and $40 more than buy.com's after rebate price. That said, I would like the front bay but it's not a necessity (Creative has to be special and not allow users to hook up regular case audio to their cards).

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yeah, the Tuniq Tower 120 is great, if you can find it! Scythe Ninja is up there with the extreme air coolers.

I would never get an X-Fi unless it was the fatal1ty. That is the only one with X-RAM. Why spend $$$ on a sound card if it doesn't have the X-Ram? Guranteed it is the same card, I would scour eBay till a found a great price. $120 for the Fatal1ty version? Nice!

~Ibrahim~