prevent a computer to get a IP address in DHCP

Lars

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Hi

Is there a way to prevent computers to get an IP address in DHCP with out
using a router? Because I have a domain (Domain A) and the users of that
domain shall access a neighbor domain (B) but I don't want to let the users
on the other domain ( Domain B) to get access to domain A. The problem is
when I connect domain a to the domain B users on domain B gets an IP address
from domain A.

"Lars" <lars.homlung@semcon.com> wrote in message news:<#PDvE5oNEHA.268@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...

> Is there a way to prevent computers to get an IP address in DHCP with out
> using a router? Because I have a domain (Domain A) and the users of that
> domain shall access a neighbor domain (B) but I don't want to let the users
> on the other domain ( Domain B) to get access to domain A. The problem is
> when I connect domain a to the domain B users on domain B gets an IP address
> from domain A.

Set up an IPsec Policy on the DHCP server for the DHCP ports (546/547) to
require security (integrity only) and Kerberos authentication. Unless
your domains trust each other, then you could set up a shared secret.

--
Matt Hickman
Army paymasters come in only two sizes; one sort shows you where the

Create two Groups in Users and Groups giving the Domain A group access to
all network resources and the Domain B group limited network access.

On 5/10/04 5:56 AM, in article #PDvE5oNEHA.268@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl, "Lars"

hemo_jr@space.com (Matt Hickman) wrote in message news:<ce9a9081.0405101718.5a191300@posting.google.com>...
> "Lars" <lars.homlung@semcon.com> wrote in message news:<#PDvE5oNEHA.268@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
>
> > Is there a way to prevent computers to get an IP address in DHCP with out
> > using a router? Because I have a domain (Domain A) and the users of that
> > domain shall access a neighbor domain (B) but I don't want to let the users
> > on the other domain ( Domain B) to get access to domain A. The problem is
> > when I connect domain a to the domain B users on domain B gets an IP address
> > from domain A.
>
> Set up an IPsec Policy on the DHCP server for the DHCP ports (546/547) to
> require security (integrity only) and Kerberos authentication. Unless
> your domains trust each other, then you could set up a shared secret.

Another way to do this is with DHCP class id info. For example,
for every workstation that you want to be serviced by your DHCP
server, set them up with the 'feedme' DHCP class id for their LAN
NIC:

ipconfig /setclassid "local area connection" feedme

Then, at the DHCP server, you configure it to only prarcel out
IP addresses to those adapters with the DHCP class ID set to feedme.

--
Matt Hickman
I think girls should be raised in the bottom of a