DNS Errors

Hello,
I am managing a small office, Windows 2000 Advanced Server
with Active directory, and a mix of clients (Win98se, Win2k and
WinXP). We are using DHCP on our router; the server does not manage
any networking beyond file serving.

Since adding a bunch of new PC's (all XP) the server and new PC's
event logs have been flooded with DNS errors. The DNS services on the
server have never been touched and are at what ever the install
default settings were.

Should the server point to the router, if so how?
or
Should the DNS services just be disabled on the server?

Thanks in advance.
Grant

Win 2k MUST have a DNS server for DNS. The pre Win 2k clients will use WINS
but Win 2k and XP clients MUST use DNS. Install DNS on the server.
See:
Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Grant Nygren" <ncc@niclyn.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am managing a small office, Windows 2000 Advanced Server
> with Active directory, and a mix of clients (Win98se, Win2k and
> WinXP). We are using DHCP on our router; the server does not manage
> any networking beyond file serving.
>
> Since adding a bunch of new PC's (all XP) the server and new PC's
> event logs have been flooded with DNS errors. The DNS services on the
> server have never been touched and are at what ever the install
> default settings were.
>
> Should the server point to the router, if so how?
> or
> Should the DNS services just be disabled on the server?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Grant

Latest posts