Limit on services

Hello all and good day!

I have the following issue:

We are running approximatley 24 custom Windows Services
using a domain account that has administrative
privelages. They have been working fine up to about 2a
week ago. Now when we try to restart the services we
get a failed to respond in a timely fashion service
failed to start error. It seems to now limit the number
of services that Domain accounts can run. This same
beahvior happens even when using different accounts for
each service. They all work fine when using Local system.
We can now only start 19 of the 24 before the error
occurs. It is not taking more than 3 seconds to produce
the error. Any Suggestions?
Thanks

On Tue, 11 May 2004 06:44:52 -0700, "Bill Freker"

>Hello all and good day!
>
>I have the following issue:
>
>We are running approximatley 24 custom Windows Services
>using a domain account that has administrative
>privelages. They have been working fine up to about 2a
>week ago. Now when we try to restart the services we
>get a failed to respond in a timely fashion service
>failed to start error. It seems to now limit the number
>of services that Domain accounts can run. This same
>beahvior happens even when using different accounts for
>each service. They all work fine when using Local system.
>We can now only start 19 of the 24 before the error
>occurs. It is not taking more than 3 seconds to produce
>the error. Any Suggestions?
>Thanks

To insure it is NOT a timing issue.
1. Make a service dependend upon the netlogon service.
2. Make the next service dependent upon the previous service.
3. etc...

See tip 69 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

I have posted responses to this issue several times in several newsgroups over
the last couple of years, here it is again. This issue has been around since NT.

From a previous post of mine...

I read about this in Kevin Miller's Professional NT Services from Wrox
publishing on page 264 (Chapter 7).

It seems that every service logon with a userid requires a desktop and every
desktop requires a USER Heap which requires
a contiguous linear address space. The thing is that there is an upper limit
on liner user heap space of about 48MB and
since each USER heap typically consumes 3MB of memory you can get only 16
winstations created.

It is telling this to convince people to use localsystem for services since
it is handled differently.

There is a registry entry that can be modified to change the size, it is
also mentioned in this KB article that I found

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q169/3/21.asp&NoWebContent=1

www.joeware.net