Mod ideas

I notice there's not much discussion on this topic. Why's that? Courtesy
to the Xbox users?

DMen
11 answers Last reply
More about ideas

    > I notice there's not much discussion on this topic. Why's that? Courtesy
    > to the Xbox users?

    There're already too much mods (bad and good) floating around on the major
    sites... we're too busy sorting the bad mods out before we can download all
    the good ones and play, therefore we do not have time to discuss about new
    mods here :) :P

    Oh, well as long as it's nothing official then. Let's talk about mods WE
    can make then. I'm thinking along the lines of modders talking of concepts
    and ideas.

    I had one that I'm using on my island. A bathroom. Currently, I'm using a
    slightly enlarged spear rack and a bucket for the toilet, and I've stuck a
    plank over the top bracket for a shelf. Put a pile of papers on the shelf,
    a cloth, a towel, a vial of de-stinkum, and it looks good. Is there a
    better way though? It has no seat or lid! Just that cold, metal ring. Any
    ideas? Most of my toilets have a nearby copy of 'Bows & Arrows' too, a
    publication filled with lurid drawings of female wood elves firing massive
    longbows, but also with plenty of good tips and reviews, so it gives a
    Marksman bonus. (you don't actually get to see the lurid drawings and
    articles... I'm not that ambitious. You just get a brief description
    similar to this one)

    Or, I've got an idea for a repeatable mission where I get to be a sailor on
    a merchant ship. There's a fifty-percent chance that the screen fades if
    you accept the contract, and you fade back in at the destination with some
    bucks coming to you. The rest of the time, you fade in to a battle with
    pirates. Kill the pirates, fade to the destination, and get the bucks plus
    a combat bonus. Way cool idea - lousy to implement. I tried it, but all
    the pirates kept attacking just me, and I have no clue what to do if the
    player ever decides to befriend and join the pirates. I don't want this to
    branch into a pile of pirate sub-quests etc... I can't be bothered with
    scripting when I can do so much without it, but I must admit it would be a
    nice thing to know here. Currently I just have a couple of ships, a handful
    of people who REALLY don't like me, and some bored bystanders.

    So who else has built\is building an island of their own here? And what are
    some of the unique features? Mine has jagged, snow-capped peaks, toilets,
    and a potato mine. (Actually, just a shrunken and retextured kwama egg.)
    I've added a vodka-like drink to the potions, and a still from the dwemer
    machinery. Can't let the player make his own, but it looks cool. I also
    have a waterfall I call "Obligatory Falls" because most new-landmass mods
    I've seen have one. Wish I had more moving stuff like that. It really
    makes the place stand out.

    DMen

    DMen wrote:

    > Oh, well as long as it's nothing official then. Let's talk about mods WE
    > can make then. I'm thinking along the lines of modders talking of concepts
    > and ideas.
    >
    > I had one that I'm using on my island. A bathroom. Currently, I'm using a
    > slightly enlarged spear rack and a bucket for the toilet, and I've stuck a
    > plank over the top bracket for a shelf. Put a pile of papers on the shelf,
    > a cloth, a towel, a vial of de-stinkum, and it looks good. Is there a
    > better way though? It has no seat or lid! Just that cold, metal ring. Any
    > ideas? Most of my toilets have a nearby copy of 'Bows & Arrows' too, a
    > publication filled with lurid drawings of female wood elves firing massive
    > longbows, but also with plenty of good tips and reviews, so it gives a
    > Marksman bonus.

    ROFLMAO!

    Here's a mod idea: a simple one-room house or hut for the common
    adventurer that has no lights, so you can light it the way you want to,
    with found objects.

    NO lights. One bed. A table, a desk, ONE shelf for storage. Something
    really simple like that... in Balmora, let's say. The name is
    <yourname>'s hideout.

    My characters all have to live in miniscule, grubby little shacks with
    basements leading to unnaturally interesting places. ('Angry Argonians in
    the Cellar' is a favourite pastime for most of My characters - a much better
    idea than My first attempt, 'Bored Bretons in the Basement'.)

    I always do that no-light thing in My homes unless they have windows.
    Firstly, because it looks more realistic, and secondly, because lighting is
    easier to change in-game depending on the atmosphere I'm going for. I once
    had a Wizard who went from totally evil and nasty, to little miss goodie
    two-shoes overnight. (She'd had some sort of epiphany - I won't go into
    details, but it involved her being woke up three times one night by the
    ancestor ghosts of Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion.) Anyway, I had to
    throw out all the 6th house lighting and replace it with nice candles, but
    there was still an unhealthy glow about the place. I ended up having to
    move in with the pillow lady across the canal for a week while I made up a
    nicer place to live. Girl wouldn't stop talking, so now she spends her days
    boring the ear-holes off some angry Argonians while standing in swamp muck
    up to her knees. It doesn't pay to annoy a person who's only recently
    decided to be nice.

    DMen

    "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
    > Here's a mod idea: a simple one-room house or hut for the common
    > adventurer that has no lights, so you can light it the way you want to,
    > with found objects.
    >
    > NO lights. One bed. A table, a desk, ONE shelf for storage. Something
    > really simple like that... in Balmora, let's say. The name is
    > <yourname>'s hideout.

    > Oh, well as long as it's nothing official then. Let's talk about mods WE
    > can make then. I'm thinking along the lines of modders talking of
    concepts
    > and ideas.

    How about an Orc-and-Pie mod? (http://www.montecook.com/arch_lineos11.html)

    :D Just kidding.

    I once used a Hypha Facia ingredient model on a silver plate - looked just
    like a pie with a piece cut out. So I stuck a fork in it, made it a potion,
    and called it a DMenfruit pie.

    I could add a new shack in Pellagiad with an Orc and a pie no problem. You
    kill him, and the pie is yours for the taking. I could even make the pie
    worth taking by giving it some good properties. (I could also add a bakery
    full of Orcs in Dagon Fel too.)

    I don't think I could just kill him and take his pie though. I'd be
    guilt-ridden, and so I'd have to ask the Orc if he'd share just a little bit
    of his pie. That way if he said no, I wouldn't feel so guilty about killing
    him and taking his pie.

    KC Wong wrote:
    >> Oh, well as long as it's nothing official then. Let's talk about
    >> mods WE can make then. I'm thinking along the lines of modders
    >> talking of concepts and ideas.
    >
    > How about an Orc-and-Pie mod?
    > (http://www.montecook.com/arch_lineos11.html)
    >
    >> D Just kidding.

    I think a good mod would be one that made the different potions more
    distinctive from each other within the inventory. The ability to organise
    the inventory would be nice too but I don't know if that would be possible.

    Angof

    Angof wrote:

    > I think a good mod would be one that made the different potions more
    > distinctive from each other within the inventory.

    There is a mod which does this. I don't know the name, but it's included in
    "Necessities of Morrowind" which I'm using. It alters the potion icons and
    renames the potion so they are sorted in a more obvious way.
    However, it does not alter the home-brew potions icons, but they are sorted
    together with the standard potions so it's still much better than without
    the mod.

    > The ability to organise the inventory would be nice too but I don't know
    > if that would be possible.

    Not with a mod. This is only possible by renaming items, which works fine on
    stuff like potions, but the whole thing is quite limited as you cannot
    rename items from within the game.

    Something I miss in Morrowind are containers like in Neverwinter Nights
    where you can buy bags and sort your stuff. One bag for potions, another
    for ingredients etc. Very nifty. No idea if this is possible to do with a
    mod or if such a mod exists.

    Peter

    > > I think a good mod would be one that made the different potions more
    > > distinctive from each other within the inventory.
    >
    > There is a mod which does this. I don't know the name, but it's included
    in
    > "Necessities of Morrowind" which I'm using. It alters the potion icons and
    > renames the potion so they are sorted in a more obvious way.
    > However, it does not alter the home-brew potions icons, but they are
    sorted
    > together with the standard potions so it's still much better than without
    > the mod.

    Search for title "potion" in www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind. You'll find a lot
    of them with new potion/spell scroll icons so sorting them would be easier,
    and also some extras (like throwable potions).

    The one I've been using just replace the icons... I haven't tried the new
    ones yet.

    > Something I miss in Morrowind are containers like in Neverwinter Nights
    > where you can buy bags and sort your stuff. One bag for potions, another
    > for ingredients etc. Very nifty. No idea if this is possible to do with a
    > mod or if such a mod exists.

    Search for "container" there too... I found two mods, one with a "global"
    container like in Diablo and Sacred, one with transportable containers.
    Haven't tried them yet.

    > I once used a Hypha Facia ingredient model on a silver plate - looked just
    > like a pie with a piece cut out. So I stuck a fork in it, made it a
    potion,
    > and called it a DMenfruit pie.
    >
    > I could add a new shack in Pellagiad with an Orc and a pie no problem.
    You
    > kill him, and the pie is yours for the taking. I could even make the pie
    > worth taking by giving it some good properties. (I could also add a
    bakery
    > full of Orcs in Dagon Fel too.)
    >
    > I don't think I could just kill him and take his pie though. I'd be
    > guilt-ridden, and so I'd have to ask the Orc if he'd share just a little
    bit
    > of his pie. That way if he said no, I wouldn't feel so guilty about
    killing
    > him and taking his pie.
    >
    > DMen

    I eagerly awaits the release of your "Orc-and-Pie" mod, and the sequel,
    "More-Orcs-and-Pies" mod, DMen.

    :D :D :D

Games Xbox Video Games