Mod ideas

I notice there's not much discussion on this topic. Why's that? Courtesy
to the Xbox users?

DMen

> I notice there's not much discussion on this topic. Why's that? Courtesy
> to the Xbox users?

There're already too much mods (bad and good) floating around on the major
sites... we're too busy sorting the bad mods out before we can download all
the good ones and play, therefore we do not have time to discuss about new
mods here :) :p

Oh, well as long as it's nothing official then. Let's talk about mods WE
can make then. I'm thinking along the lines of modders talking of concepts
and ideas.

I had one that I'm using on my island. A bathroom. Currently, I'm using a
slightly enlarged spear rack and a bucket for the toilet, and I've stuck a
plank over the top bracket for a shelf. Put a pile of papers on the shelf,
a cloth, a towel, a vial of de-stinkum, and it looks good. Is there a
better way though? It has no seat or lid! Just that cold, metal ring. Any
ideas? Most of my toilets have a nearby copy of 'Bows & Arrows' too, a
publication filled with lurid drawings of female wood elves firing massive
longbows, but also with plenty of good tips and reviews, so it gives a
Marksman bonus. (you don't actually get to see the lurid drawings and
articles... I'm not that ambitious. You just get a brief description
similar to this one)

Or, I've got an idea for a repeatable mission where I get to be a sailor on
a merchant ship. There's a fifty-percent chance that the screen fades if
you accept the contract, and you fade back in at the destination with some
bucks coming to you. The rest of the time, you fade in to a battle with
pirates. Kill the pirates, fade to the destination, and get the bucks plus
a combat bonus. Way cool idea - lousy to implement. I tried it, but all
the pirates kept attacking just me, and I have no clue what to do if the
player ever decides to befriend and join the pirates. I don't want this to
branch into a pile of pirate sub-quests etc... I can't be bothered with
scripting when I can do so much without it, but I must admit it would be a
nice thing to know here. Currently I just have a couple of ships, a handful
of people who REALLY don't like me, and some bored bystanders.

So who else has built\is building an island of their own here? And what are
some of the unique features? Mine has jagged, snow-capped peaks, toilets,
and a potato mine. (Actually, just a shrunken and retextured kwama egg.)
I've added a vodka-like drink to the potions, and a still from the dwemer
machinery. Can't let the player make his own, but it looks cool. I also
have a waterfall I call "Obligatory Falls" because most new-landmass mods
I've seen have one. Wish I had more moving stuff like that. It really
makes the place stand out.

DMen

DMen wrote:

> Oh, well as long as it's nothing official then. Let's talk about mods WE
> can make then. I'm thinking along the lines of modders talking of concepts
> and ideas.
>
> I had one that I'm using on my island. A bathroom. Currently, I'm using a
> slightly enlarged spear rack and a bucket for the toilet, and I've stuck a
> plank over the top bracket for a shelf. Put a pile of papers on the shelf,
> a cloth, a towel, a vial of de-stinkum, and it looks good. Is there a
> better way though? It has no seat or lid! Just that cold, metal ring. Any
> ideas? Most of my toilets have a nearby copy of 'Bows & Arrows' too, a
> publication filled with lurid drawings of female wood elves firing massive
> longbows, but also with plenty of good tips and reviews, so it gives a
> Marksman bonus.

ROFLMAO!

Here's a mod idea: a simple one-room house or hut for the common
adventurer that has no lights, so you can light it the way you want to,
with found objects.

NO lights. One bed. A table, a desk, ONE shelf for storage. Something
really simple like that... in Balmora, let's say. The name is
<yourname>'s hideout.

My characters all have to live in miniscule, grubby little shacks with
basements leading to unnaturally interesting places. ('Angry Argonians in
the Cellar' is a favourite pastime for most of My characters - a much better
idea than My first attempt, 'Bored Bretons in the Basement'.)

I always do that no-light thing in My homes unless they have windows.
Firstly, because it looks more realistic, and secondly, because lighting is
easier to change in-game depending on the atmosphere I'm going for. I once
had a Wizard who went from totally evil and nasty, to little miss goodie
two-shoes overnight. (She'd had some sort of epiphany - I won't go into
details, but it involved her being woke up three times one night by the
ancestor ghosts of Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion.) Anyway, I had to
throw out all the 6th house lighting and replace it with nice candles, but
there was still an unhealthy glow about the place. I ended up having to
move in with the pillow lady across the canal for a week while I made up a
nicer place to live. Girl wouldn't stop talking, so now she spends her days
boring the ear-holes off some angry Argonians while standing in swamp muck
up to her knees. It doesn't pay to annoy a person who's only recently
decided to be nice.

DMen

"ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> Here's a mod idea: a simple one-room house or hut for the common
> adventurer that has no lights, so you can light it the way you want to,
> with found objects.
>
> NO lights. One bed. A table, a desk, ONE shelf for storage. Something
> really simple like that... in Balmora, let's say. The name is
> <yourname>'s hideout.

> Oh, well as long as it's nothing official then. Let's talk about mods WE
> can make then. I'm thinking along the lines of modders talking of
concepts
> and ideas.

How about an Orc-and-Pie mod? (http://www.montecook.com/arch_lineos11.html)

:D Just kidding.

I once used a Hypha Facia ingredient model on a silver plate - looked just
like a pie with a piece cut out. So I stuck a fork in it, made it a potion,
and called it a DMenfruit pie.

I could add a new shack in Pellagiad with an Orc and a pie no problem. You
kill him, and the pie is yours for the taking. I could even make the pie
worth taking by giving it some good properties. (I could also add a bakery
full of Orcs in Dagon Fel too.)

I don't think I could just kill him and take his pie though. I'd be
guilt-ridden, and so I'd have to ask the Orc if he'd share just a little bit
of his pie. That way if he said no, I wouldn't feel so guilty about killing
him and taking his pie.

KC Wong wrote:
>> Oh, well as long as it's nothing official then. Let's talk about
>> mods WE can make then. I'm thinking along the lines of modders
>> talking of concepts and ideas.
>
> How about an Orc-and-Pie mod?
> (http://www.montecook.com/arch_lineos11.html)
>
>> D Just kidding.

I think a good mod would be one that made the different potions more
distinctive from each other within the inventory. The ability to organise
the inventory would be nice too but I don't know if that would be possible.

Angof

Angof wrote:

> I think a good mod would be one that made the different potions more
> distinctive from each other within the inventory.

There is a mod which does this. I don't know the name, but it's included in
"Necessities of Morrowind" which I'm using. It alters the potion icons and
renames the potion so they are sorted in a more obvious way.
However, it does not alter the home-brew potions icons, but they are sorted
together with the standard potions so it's still much better than without
the mod.

> The ability to organise the inventory would be nice too but I don't know
> if that would be possible.

Not with a mod. This is only possible by renaming items, which works fine on
stuff like potions, but the whole thing is quite limited as you cannot
rename items from within the game.

Something I miss in Morrowind are containers like in Neverwinter Nights
where you can buy bags and sort your stuff. One bag for potions, another
for ingredients etc. Very nifty. No idea if this is possible to do with a
mod or if such a mod exists.

Peter

> > I think a good mod would be one that made the different potions more
> > distinctive from each other within the inventory.
>
> There is a mod which does this. I don't know the name, but it's included
in
> "Necessities of Morrowind" which I'm using. It alters the potion icons and
> renames the potion so they are sorted in a more obvious way.
> However, it does not alter the home-brew potions icons, but they are
sorted
> together with the standard potions so it's still much better than without
> the mod.

Search for title "potion" in www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind. You'll find a lot
of them with new potion/spell scroll icons so sorting them would be easier,
and also some extras (like throwable potions).

The one I've been using just replace the icons... I haven't tried the new
ones yet.

> Something I miss in Morrowind are containers like in Neverwinter Nights
> where you can buy bags and sort your stuff. One bag for potions, another
> for ingredients etc. Very nifty. No idea if this is possible to do with a
> mod or if such a mod exists.

Search for "container" there too... I found two mods, one with a "global"
container like in Diablo and Sacred, one with transportable containers.
Haven't tried them yet.

> I once used a Hypha Facia ingredient model on a silver plate - looked just
> like a pie with a piece cut out. So I stuck a fork in it, made it a
potion,
> and called it a DMenfruit pie.
>
> I could add a new shack in Pellagiad with an Orc and a pie no problem.
You
> kill him, and the pie is yours for the taking. I could even make the pie
> worth taking by giving it some good properties. (I could also add a
bakery
> full of Orcs in Dagon Fel too.)
>
> I don't think I could just kill him and take his pie though. I'd be
> guilt-ridden, and so I'd have to ask the Orc if he'd share just a little
bit
> of his pie. That way if he said no, I wouldn't feel so guilty about
killing
> him and taking his pie.
>
> DMen

I eagerly awaits the release of your "Orc-and-Pie" mod, and the sequel,
"More-Orcs-and-Pies" mod, DMen.

:D :D :D