  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
May 26, 2005 1:58:11 PM

I've installed an HP Photosmart 2610 All-In-One printer and find that it has
scads of stuff running continuously even when the printed is not on. This is
using up my resources to the point of causing problems.

I've turned off HP Software Update but I still have lots of files related to
Digital Imaging running as well as a file HPQGALRY.EXE.

Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know how to correct this
problem.

All suggestions appreciated.

Jim

More about : problem photosmart 2610

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 26, 2005 2:25:20 PM

Bob Headrick will probably be your best source for straight answers.
In the meantime you can prevent programs from loading at startup using
MSCONFIG or a program such as Startup Cop. Just uncheck HP type
programs and try it.
Aida program will tell you the size of the running background programs
and WinTop will tell you how often the programs are using cpu cycles.
I unchecked a couple of mine on my 7960 with no ill effects. If
something doesn't work properly, turn them back on.
-----

On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:58:11 -0400, "jim simpson" <jimsimpson@cox.net>
wrote:

>I've installed an HP Photosmart 2610 All-In-One printer and find that it has
>scads of stuff running continuously even when the printed is not on. This is
>using up my resources to the point of causing problems.
>
>I've turned off HP Software Update but I still have lots of files related to
>Digital Imaging running as well as a file HPQGALRY.EXE.
>
>Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know how to correct this
>problem.
>
>All suggestions appreciated.
>
>Jim

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 26, 2005 9:18:13 PM

jim simpson wrote:
> I've installed an HP Photosmart 2610 All-In-One printer and find that it has
> scads of stuff running continuously even when the printed is not on. This is
> using up my resources to the point of causing problems.
>
> I've turned off HP Software Update but I still have lots of files related to
> Digital Imaging running as well as a file HPQGALRY.EXE.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know how to correct this
> problem.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>
> Jim

i have the PSC 1610 but we have the same software !
I installed everything and then with system mechanic i disabled every
startup task of HP.
Now run very good with no resource problem
a b α HP
May 27, 2005 1:23:28 PM

"jim simpson" <jimsimpson@cox.net> wrote in message
> I've installed an HP Photosmart 2610 All-In-One printer and find that it
has
> scads of stuff running continuously even when the printed is not on. This
is
> using up my resources to the point of causing problems.
>
> I've turned off HP Software Update but I still have lots of files related
> Digital Imaging running as well as a file HPQGALRY.EXE.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know how to correct
this
> problem.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>
> Jim

Thanks to both of you . I turned off HP Software Update and HP Component
Manager and it does seem to run better. I'm still not sure why HPQGALRY.EXE
needs to be running even when the printer power is off. Anyone have any
ideas?

Jim
Anonymous
a b α HP
June 1, 2005 4:09:21 PM

"jim simpson" <jimsimpson@cox.net> wrote .
.. I'm still not sure why HPQGALRY.EXE
> needs to be running even when the printer power is off. Anyone have any
> ideas?

The "why" behind all of these is simple -- the designers (a) think that
their software is the only software you could conceivably ever want to run,
or (b) think it will negatively affect their reviews and customer
satisfaction if it takes 30 sec or a minute or two to load all that software
the first time you use your printer, and would rather make that overhead
"invisible" by forcing it at startup when you won't associate it with their
product.

You might do a google on "HPQGALRY.EXE" -- I got 1800+ hits.

Or just turn it off at startup and see if it affects use of the printer.
!