domain name

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

The domain that was setup in my office for the server is
the same as the domain name for our website that is
running on a server on the net. I am able to access the
web site from outside of the office but not when I am in
my office. There appears to be a conflict with the name
being the same.
Any suggestions?

I Have tried to add a A record to the forwading folder of the dns server although i am not sure i knew what i was doing

Hi,

I understand that the name of the internal domain and the Internet domain
are same. Hence you are unable to access the web site from internal network.

Please try this workaround and check if it resolves the issue:

1. Open the local DNS server
2. Add an A record with the hostname 'www' without quotes and provide the
IP address of the Internet name server of your domain.
3. Check if you are able to brose www. <server name>.com, where <server
name> is your name of the company.

Hope it allows you to connect to your Internet web site from internal
network.

Thank ou,

Rashmi

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?ZGF2ZQ==?=" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: domain name
| Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:06:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
|
| The domain that was setup in my office for the server is
the same as the domain name for our website that is
running on a server on the net. I am able to access the
web site from outside of the office but not when I am in
my office. There appears to be a conflict with the name
being the same.
Any suggestions?

I Have tried to add a A record to the forwading folder of the dns server
although i am not sure i knew what i was doing

i have tried that and the system cannot find the web
site. any other ideas?

confers no rights.
>--------------------
>| From: "=?Utf-8?B?ZGF2ZQ==?="
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>| Subject: domain name
>| Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:06:02 -0700
>| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
>|
>| The domain that was setup in my office for the server
is
>the same as the domain name for our website that is
>running on a server on the net. I am able to access the
>web site from outside of the office but not when I am in
>my office. There appears to be a conflict with the name
>being the same.
>Any suggestions?
>
>I Have tried to add a A record to the forwading folder of
the dns server
>although i am not sure i knew what i was doing
>|

>.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Great now i can see my website. Now how to i get my email
to function? The pop is pop.<servername>.com and smtp is
smtp.<servername>.com The error coming back is that the
server cannot be found. It can be found offsite however
so it must be a similar confict. Thanks for all the help
so far

Have a look at these articles:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/communications/dns/dnskbs.asp#kb1

Specifically, this one:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254680 -- not a
quick fix, but rather some advice on planning this out to minimize these
types of problems in the first place

"dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The domain that was setup in my office for the server is
> the same as the domain name for our website that is
> running on a server on the net. I am able to access the
> web site from outside of the office but not when I am in
> my office. There appears to be a conflict with the name
> being the same.
> Any suggestions?
>
> I Have tried to add a A record to the forwading folder of the dns server
although i am not sure i knew what i was doing

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I know now that I should not have named them the same, but I already did. I got my web site and my incoming mail fixed by adding an A record to the forwarding lookup zone but I cannot get the outgoing or smtp to work. Any ideas as a fix?