How often to defrag

bill

We have a domain controller with exchange 2000 installed.
All our databases are stored on shared drives, along with
roaming profiles, etc (all NTFS format). All this within 6
drives using a raid configuration. Numerous users are
adding/deleting files constantly.

I know you should defrag a client or home system monthly.

But what about an AD domain controller with all the
read/writes that are going on? Lets hear your opinions on
this matter. Thanks....

Bill

On Fri, 14 May 2004 13:51:51 -0700, "Bill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>We have a domain controller with exchange 2000 installed.
>All our databases are stored on shared drives, along with
>roaming profiles, etc (all NTFS format). All this within 6
>drives using a raid configuration. Numerous users are
>adding/deleting files constantly.
>
>I know you should defrag a client or home system monthly.
>
>But what about an AD domain controller with all the
>read/writes that are going on? Lets hear your opinions on
>this matter. Thanks....
>
>Bill

I normally defrag once, without telling anyone, and then ask people if they
notice any performance change.

I rarely get a 'faster' response.

If I get enough 'faster' responses, I do another defrag in about 3 months and
ask again.

Most times, I do it after a service pack install.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Hi,

I am the LAN Admin for a large install. We use the full ($) version of
defrag, and set it to run daily. The first week it will run for a long
time, and after that it runs only a few minutes per day.

That applies to everything EXCEPT for Exchange. Defrag on the Exchange Data
Store means a chance to rebuild your exchange box.

Rich